Beware Dtac Gprs Plans Expire

Crushdepth

I just got an SMS saying that my phone bill had reached 6,400 baht. It's normally about 10% of that so was a bit of a shock!

I rang up to ask what was going on, and was told that my DTAC GPRS plan (50 hours access a month for a flat 200 baht fee) had 'expired' on 1 December, and so they had been billing me at a higher rate ever since.

The thing that annoys me is that i) they didn't tell me the plan had expired (I've had it for around 2 years), and ii) my credit limit is 5,000 baht, so why didn't they stop service or at least inform me at that point? Irritatingly, the buggers sent me another SMS saying my credit limit has been increased to 7,500 baht (which I definitely do not want) without any consultation.

I've called twice to complain about the bill and both times the call center staff have referred the issue to their supervisor - who would make a decision on whether to discount or waive it and call me back. Except they haven't called back (what a surprise). They have, however, reactivated my flat rate 200 baht GPRS plan.

I am going to have a few more goes at getting through to a decision maker, but if they won't respond, what to do? Is it worth writing to them or will that just go in the bin? Will not paying the bill eventually get their attention? Would it be unreasonable for me to refuse to pay any more than my credit limit?

Anyone got prior experience on dealing with DTAC with billing issues?

I think you will have to pay...when signing the contract, it does specify the promotion validity time (usually 1 year), so I highly doubt they're in any way obligated legally to waive the extra billing. What I would do if I were you is just check the online billing system on a regular basis, it's very detailed and would prevent such situations.

On a side note, how were you able to rack up 5K+ in GPRS charges in just a few days? :o

On a side note, how were you able to rack up 5K+ in GPRS charges in just a few days?

Not sure, I don't know the basis they were charging on just yet as I haven't got the paper bill. I did download a lot of software last month so I suspect they must have shifted to a per-MB rate as I don't spend *that* long online!

(On my plan excess time over the 50 hours is charged at 50 satang/minute, but during the 'expired' period possibly much higher).