Savannakhet border closing time?

Although the border crossing itself closes at 10pm, I believe the visa on arrival counter on the Lao side may close as early as 6pm. I have indeed crossed to Savannakhet after dark a couple of times, but as a visa exempt visitor I didn't pay much attention to the visa on arrival counter. Other members on here including UbonJoe have mentioned 6pm, so I assume that still stands.

Assuming you arrived at the Thai side of the border at 5pm, you would have sufficient time to get through. If you only arrive at the airport at 5pm (which airport is it?) I think you'd be pushing it and unlikely to make it on time.

Tha Lao visa on arrival office officially closes at 6 pm but remains open later if the they are busy. If they are closed Thai immigration will not let you depart the country.

If you arrived at the bridge by 5 pm you would be able to cross.

• 1 year later...

Nothing to do in Suvannakhet in the evening, why cross the border then?

Better to stay in Mukdahan for the night and get the 8am bus across, you can walk from the bus station to the Thai consulate and still get there by the time it opens, only 250m walk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tubby johnson said:

What is the current situation at the bridge to Savannakhet? My Air Asia flight+shuttle next week arrives in Mukdahan at 6:30pm. Does the Laos visa on arrival office still close at 6 pm? 

The Lao visa on arrival office officially closes at 6pm but if they are busy they will stay open a little later. If they are closed when you get to the bridge immigration will not stamp you out of the country.

Best to plan on spending the night in Mukdahan and taking the 1st bus the next morning at the bus station there.

• Like 1