Problem With Dvd And Recommendations For Laser Printer Pls

JustAnotherFarang

Hi guys

My pioneer internal DVD RW drive on my notebook is not reading or writing anymore. When it was reading erractically I foolishly tried to clean the head with a sable paint brush........... now it wont access any cds or dvds......... the computer shop tried to clean it with a cotton bud and a cleaning cd and then gave up but I feel I would like to get it fixed if possible.............. any suggestions, I am not in BKK but I can always send it to be fixed if neccesary

Also, I want to buy a good workhorse laser printer which can print both sides of paper, with sufficient ram for a few graphics and one does not not consume consumables at an alarmimg rate. Looked at the HP 1020 for around 5000 bht which does eat toner rather quickly, not too sure if it prints both sides of the paper though, would be willing to pay more if it means I get that much more............ any other suggestions please

Thanks for you time and advice

JAF

I have a HP Laserjet 1200 and it has excellant printing capabilities of up to 1200x1200 true dpi. Also has an econo-mode that saves a lot on toner. I don't see mine using that much toner and I do quite a bit of printing including printed circuit boards that a film is made from the printout. I suspect it's been well over a year since I replaced the toner.

However it is no longer being made and not duplexed. There is another HP the HP Laserjet 1320 that has the same resolution and duplexed printing output. Price around 16,000 Baht. doubt if you will find a printer much cheeper with duplexing capability.

HP is always a good choice for a Laser printer, only I belief that the accessories like toner/drum kit are a bit over priced. But then you say you not live in Bangkok, so you have to look what for supplies are available at your area.

Personally I will also look at Brother, Brother has a excellent printer the Brother HL-2040 which does 20 pages/min. and cost around 4300 Baht. This is a single side printer, but you would be able to manual feed the paper for the backside printing.

The good part of Brother is that the supplies are a bit cheaper then the once used in a HP printer, of course if you live in a small Isan town with one and a half computer shop who only sells HP your Brother supplies could be more expensive.

Also Brother also supports all major Operating Systems MS Windows, Apple Mac and Linux (of course HP does the same, but other low-cost printer brands not)

Another alternative printer brand you can look at is Samsung, but remember nothing is good if you cannot buy the supplies locally. The cheapest Samsung (ML-1610) sales for around 3300 Baht and has 3 year warranty and supports also Win/Mac/Linux.

Laser printers who can print both sides are not really in the price class of 5000 Baht, or at least not that I know off.

Sometimes when dust collects on the screw that the laser uses to move across the disk it starts binding and you get erratic reading of the disk becae data in the inside and outside of the disk isn't being read. Carefully brush off the screw (barely visible inside the slot in the photo below) and blow the debris out of the drive.

09.jpg

Personally I will also look at Brother, Brother has a excellent printer the Brother HL-2040 which does 20 pages/min. and cost around 4300 Baht. This is a single side printer, but you would be able to manual feed the paper for the backside printing.

The good part of Brother is that the supplies are a bit cheaper then the once used in a HP printer, of course if you live in a small Isan town with one and a half computer shop who only sells HP your Brother supplies could be more expensive.

I looked at the Brother too and was impressed until I realised that you have to replace the drum on this machine as well as the toner..........thats why the toner is a little cheaper, because you end up paying more per page when you factor in the drum which is not cheap.......so the HP model at the equivalent price is superior according to the reviews I read

I am going to look into the Fuji model recommended here but if neccesary I will pay more than 3000-4000 bht o ensure lower running costs..........any suggestions for around 5000-7000 bht ???

Thanks

JAF

Fuji xerox lazer printer saves money and can refill the tuner. 3200 baht.

have better one for higher price but this 1 I am happy more then 1 year.

though the drum costs 3000 baht..but it still didnt go dead. and it will never mind buy another printer..3000 baht worth every baht..

keep on mind that I print about 80-100 pages every day. :o

good luck.

I also endorse Xerox Laser Printer. Have a color one and am quite pleased with it.

I dont agree with Richard-bkk about the Brother.

That was the reason I changed to the fuji xerox.

I bought the brother HL-2040 for 5000B and to change the drum its around 3000B.

now.. the fuji xerox its the EXACT model as brother HL-2040 (Fuji-xerox Docuprint 203-A)

but cheaper to buy..and if it will go one day (after more then 1 year I hope..same the brother..) so.....who cares...!!?

thats only my opinion about the brother..not worth it at all..

Almog

I sent you a message, what is the model number of the printer you are recommending is it the Xerox Phaser 3121 Printer...... I checked the reviews of that model, solid printer for text, poor at graphics apparently and although it is similiar to many ways to the Brother, it is actually better designed

Still not sure if its for me, not likely to get refills for it here methinks but I could always buy another toner cartridge online and then use the original cartridge for cheaper toner refills I guess. But the drum needing to be replaced is not so good.........do you have to do the same with HP as well ??

JAF

PS Will I get so much more bang for my buck if I pay another 2000-3000 bht more, say 7000-7500 bht ??

Edited by JustAnotherFarang