I Need A Good Tailor

Ajarn

Hi, I'm at a point where I need some new clothes. I haven't used a Thai tailor in more than 10 years... I simply copy all of my clothes as they age. At this point, I can't do that any more since I've lost more than 100 kilos...

So, currently I'm using my old clothes, but everything is way too big for me now, and I feel like I can't go outside.. Does anyone have a suggested tailor in Chiang Mai that I can use to get refitted? It would be great if they can do housecalls, too.

When these tailor threads (is that a pun?) have run in the past, posters have had good things to say about Naramit. I had some suits made by them about ten years ago and was quite satisfied with their work, but it was ten years ago.

Naramit made some ok things for me in the past based on copying examples. Need to be careful to tell him not to make things too tight since most Thai tailors do it that way. He has done housecalls and probably still does. With tailors, order ONE first and see how it is.

Naramit made some ok things for me in the past based on copying examples. Need to be careful to tell him not to make things too tight since most Thai tailors do it that way. He has done housecalls and probably still does. With tailors, order ONE first and see how it is.

I'm also interested. Could you give directions to Naramit tailors?

I'm also interested. Could you give directions to Naramit tailors?

Down the street from the original Kasem Store, on the left side, about 3 shops before the first traffic light(where a left turn takes you to the Prince Hotel).

So, where is the original Kasem Store? Go down Chaing Moi from the moat. It swings left then goes over a small canal. Turn left at the first intersection after the canal bridge. Kasem is down about 30m on the left. Sorry to be so long, can't remember the street name.

If Naramit does not have the cloth you want, you can find a lot of cloth at the Warorot Market about 150 meters away.

Copy something that fits is best, otherwise the risk of a tight fit is high.

Edited by mongoose

Why is Neeramit considered the best, when they make too tight fittings? I'd prefer someone who knows how do it right...

Let us know if you find one. Neramit can get it right but cutting things tight is in my experience, the norm for Thai tailors. Thus he and others need to be advised that you do not want skinfit policeman/soldier style. I am not sure he is the best because I have not looked about for tailors in recent years.

Ajarn: I have followed the "tailor threads" over the years and I followed TV forum advice to Neeramit and find it to be satisfactory with a Engish speaking front man. He was a bartender in the NCO club during the Vietnam war and thus speaks flutently. Efforts to get good tailoring in Night Bazaar were fruitless, any surprise? I think that most of the "tailors" are cloth merchants that send the cloth and their measurements to a central tailoring factory for Chiang Mai. The first fitting "tailor" travels from store to store on call. IMHO.

I think their alterations are excellent at Neeramit. I had a yukata made there and they did an excellent job, even washed the cotton before assembly to get the fit right.

My conclusion regarding the tailoring in Thailand, as in the rest of Asia, including Hong Kong and Japan, even in the old days, is the cutting. They just don't have the quality cutters, as they have in New York or London and the seams also never seem to not pucker. The seams in store bought suits made in Europe or the U.S. are definitely superior and the padding quality is better so you don't get the shrink upon first cleaning as you do in Asia.

Thus my advice would be to buy a suit off the rack at any major department store that you like and have it altered to fit you, thus you get the quality cutting and stitching of overseas and the alterations to fit of a tailor. You also know what you are getting as you can see the product before you buy.

As if you needed more directions, I would take Chang Moi westbound and turn right, northbound on that one way street heading toward Nakon Ping and the intersection that suddenly becomes two way. Neermit is a door or two on the left or west side of street from the intersection. At that intersection, when you are heading northbound, SCB bank is on the right, Esso Service Station on the northwest east corner and Neeramit is on the southwest corner area. I park in the SCB parking and walk across the street to Neeramit.

Good luck.

Ajarn, you'll be happy with k. Wirat at Neramit. He listens, is easy to talk to, has good suggestions and is reliable. His shop is not fancy, an ordinary tailor shop where things are made in the back. And away from the tourist area. He's one of those 'chiang mai institutions' that were areound even when you first came to Chiang Mai. Chances are he knows most of your friends. Go for it.

What he made for me most certainly wasn't tight, it was perfect.

And stop losing weight pls. There needs to be some left of you remember!! :o

Edited by chanchao

Ajarn, you'll be happy with k. Wirat at Neramit. He listens, is easy to talk to, has good suggestions and is reliable. His shop is not fancy, an ordinary tailor shop where things are made in the back. And away from the tourist area. He's one of those 'chiang mai institutions' that were areound even when you first came to Chiang Mai. Chances are he knows most of your friends. Go for it.

What he made for me most certainly wasn't tight, it was perfect.

And stop losing weight pls. There needs to be some left of you remember!! :D

Thanks, chanchao for the reality at Neramit. Makes me feel like I should have already been there. :D

And, it seems, that Khun Wirat is the man to speak with...

Thanks to everyone who replied. :D

I'm at 130 kilos (from 240 kilos). These last few (30) are the most difficult ones to lose.. :o

Edited by Ajarn

Ajarn, I suggest the row of tailors just up the soi, on the right ,that passes directly behind the Montri hotel. All are good quality at prices well below Neramit. In that you may wish to lose more kgs I suggest you refrain from paying top baht until your are satisfied you've reached a constant plateau.

Price of course depends on the material, but I have bought quality pants with accompanying thai-govt-phuyai-style top for less than 3000B. Separately my nephew was ecstatic at finding quality at an affordable price to take back to North America for his wedding.

I would not be surprised that the tailoring is all stitched at the same locale by all and sundry incl the neramit folks.

BTW, the 2nd restaurant up from these tailor shops has the best Northern-style food in the area, IMHO. The trouble is I had to stop going regularly as the 'Na-aam' is addictive and piles on the pounds. Their Northern-style soup served over hot coals is aroy, and fat-free. Cheers