Urban myth or unfortunate fact ?

21 minutes ago, Denim said:

Never had any problems but then both wife and I prefer quiet places where large groups don't tend to go. 

Won't even consider going anywhere where ' live music ' is promoted as an attraction.  Can't see the pleasure in having my ears assaulted by dreadful noise.

Depends where it is I suppose. We had a local live music venue open recently. A group consisting of bass and rhythm electric guitars, keyboard player, drummer and vocalist play Thai pop between 9pm and midnight each night. Outside, the owner plays his acoustic guitar with an occasional vocalist. I prefer the outside but my Mrs and Thai friends like the group inside!    

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How often did you have to fight?

Was a part time bouncer in Amsterdam red light for 9 months, done 11 years of martial arts and 6 years of front row rugby union.

Had about 100 physical arguments, lost 3, ended up in hospital once with a couple of metal plates in my forehead as somebody hit me with a brick unexpectedly. Was very lucky not to die then.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Thais can become violent quite quickly in a confrontation.

Most times they will avoid a confrontation with a foreigner (unless drugs or alcohol are thrown into the mix).

Lived in Thailand 24 years. No issues.

Also lived in Oz, HK and Singapore. Again no issues.

The only country that I have been attacked in (random violence whilst walking on the street) was the UK. 3 times.

Wifey - mugged twice in the UK. Nothing, anywhere else.

Well, you must be lucky I am in OZ for about 40 years never had an issue with anybody, lived in LOS for a number of years got broken into twice had one of my apartments burned down and got threatened by my FIL with a shotgun.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes

Yes

Obviously, you can tell them that you are right and explain to them what they did wrong. But maybe they don't want to listen to you.

Then, when you wake up in the hospital the next day, you will hopefully conclude that avoidance is the best option.

Grow a pair.

• Haha 1

I've lived in Thailand for over 20 years and have NEVER been threatened by a Thai. Of course, I live in a rural area in northeastern Thailand and don't go to bars to drink or stay out late at night. I also have been married to a Thai woman for most of that time, so I also don't go looking for street sex.  These are the scenarios that I assume Farangs are engaged in when they are threatened by Thais.

I have been threatened by Farangs a couple of times, but that was over disputes about golf at my golf club. These threats have never come to blows or have led to any retaliation.