Anti-corruption chief complains dive in corruption index 'unfair'

snoop1130

Anti-corruption chief complains dive in corruption index 'unfair'

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

CORRUPTIRONY-696x389.jpg

Sansern Poljiak, secretary-general of the National Anti-Corruption Commission speaks Friday in Bangkok. Photo: Prachachat

BANGKOK — The government’s top corruption fighter Friday rejected Thailand’s fall to 101st place in a world ranking of corruption by a German anti-corruption nonprofit.

The head of the National Anti-Corruption Commission said Thailand’s sharp drop to 101 from 76 in Transparency International’s annual ranking of perceived levels of corruption was “unfair” because it factored in the nation’s departure from democracy.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/01/27/anti-corruption-chief-complains-dive-corruption-index-unfair/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-1-27

There's some evidence that democratisation leads to greater corruption in poor countries with a GDP per capita of less than about $ 2000.But Thailand's income is well above that pushing $ 6000 and more than $15,000 when adjusted for purchasing power.So I don't think Khun Sansern has a valid point.All the evidence supports Transparency International factoring in democracy (and all its manifestations including an active opposition, a fair justice system and a free press ), for the greater accountability it brings.

...the nation’s departure from democracy.

A departure away from the Shinawatra family, one of the most powerful and corrupt families in Thailand.

Who used public money and rice scams to buy votes and rig elections.

In reality, Thailand probably has less corruption now than at any time in it's history....regardless of what some group of German beard scratchers think.

4 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

A departure away from the Shinawatra family, one of the most powerful and corrupt families in Thailand.

In reality, Thailand probably has less corruption now than at any time in it's history....regardless of what some group of German beard scratchers think.

Oh dear.....

I think the boxhead beardies are judging on what is happening today, you know since the military liberated the population from the burden of any semblance of democracy.....

Proof perfect that there is none so blind as he who refuses to see.....

There are 5 things that will never change in Thailand.

There will never be reform of the RTP.

There will never be reform of the military.

Both survive off each other and know where the skeletons of the other are lying.

Corruption will always exist and get worse with tigher laws to prevent exposure.

Democracy will only exist by name.

The majority of Thai people will always be used as pawns by whoever rules to feather their own nests.

You could add a 6th. Carnage will always occur on Thai roads due to tunnel vision and the inability to learn, predict and correctly interpret infomation.

57 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

Yes, but give credit where due, Thaksin "drained the swamp" and built an airport, the POTUS has no airport plans.

48 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

In reality, Thailand probably has less corruption now than at any time in it's history.....regardless of what some group of German beard scratchers think.

Well, I guess you have done much research into this so I definitively should believe you rather than the German "beard scratchers".......probably.

But as an expat with many years in Thailand and with a family here my experience is that there have been improvements in certain areas regarding the small and blatant stuff but the big stuff has not gone away, and there is less accountability (none) now than ever before.

But they did manage to prise Thaksin et al away from the trough so they must be pleased with themselves. No more competition from upstarts - just dig in and enjoy!

Just now, ratcatcher said:

Yes, but give credit where due, Thaksin "drained the swamp" and built an airport, the POTUS has no airport plans.

POTUS?? <deleted>, things are bad enough in Thailand without the interference of the man-child!!

38 minutes ago, Becker said:

Well, I guess you have done much research into this so I definitively should believe you rather than the German "beard scratchers".......probably.

But as an expat with many years in Thailand and with a family here my experience is that there have been improvements in certain areas regarding the small and blatant stuff but the big stuff has not gone away, and there is less accountability (none) now than ever before.

The bold is simply not true, the Thai police are under more scrutiny than ever before to keep their hands clean, the days of openly bracing passersby for tea money are finished, and some very big fish have been gutted, including high ranking officials in the police, military, government and even some close to the royal family.

Back in the day ...the notion that a Thai family as powerful & connected as the Shinawatra, the head of the family on the run from corruption charges while his sister is being put to the sword and humiliated in a public trial .....would simply be unthinkable.

So, while yes I agree there are lots more to do ..to say nothing has changed & there is zero accountability & somehow there was more accountability in regards to corruption under the Shinawatra clan  ... is just not accurate.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

1 hour ago, mark131v said:

Oh dear.....

I think the boxhead beardies are judging on what is happening today, you know since the military liberated the population from the burden of any semblance of democracy.....

Proof perfect that there is none so blind as he who refuses to see.....

Again, in English?

1 minute ago, onthesoi said:

The bold is simply not true, the Thai police are under more scrutiny than ever before to keep their hands clean, the days of openly bracing passersby for tea money are finished, and some very big fish have been gutted, including high ranking officials in the police, military, government and even some close to the royal family.

Back in the day ...the notion that a Thai family as powerful as the Shinawatra, the head of the family on the run from corruption charges while his sister is being put to the sword and humiliated in a public trial .....would simply be unthinkable.

So, while yes I agree there are lots more to do ..to say nothing has changed is simply not accurate.

The only thing that has changed is the heads in trough, nothing else. Been some half hearted investigation that has pretty much results in jack shit unless you are on the wrong side of the colour divide, all a perfunctory pr shot to try to persuade the gullible that something is happening

Looks like one of their rare semi positive results as it seems to be working with some people....

15 hours ago, onthesoi said:

Back in the day ...the notion that a Thai family as powerful & connected as the Shinawatra, the head of the family on the run from corruption charges while his sister is being put to the sword and humiliated in a public trial .....would simply be unthinkable.

So, while yes I agree there are lots more to do ..to say nothing has changed is simply not accurate.

You don't get out much do you.  Plus you apparantly do not understand a purge when you see one happening under your nose.

The police remain an uncontrolable (and unprofessional) force.  They know where too many skeletons are buried.  They remain untouchable.

This entire thing has been about removing the Shins from power, among other things that one cannot talk about.

Nothing really HAS changed, only the names of the players.  There has been some reshuffeling, but that is about all.  Oh, and as for democracy, that is gone, at least for the forseeable future.  Meet Prayut, your 'leader' (and I use that word VERY loosely) for the forseeable future, barring the Thai people growing some cajones and staging a mass uprising.

2 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

So, while yes I agree there are lots more to do ..to say nothing has changed & there is zero accountability & somehow there was more accountability in regards to corruption under the Shinawatra clan  ... is simply not accurate.

1. The Thai police is under scrutiny because of social media. Sure, the small fish are sometimes feeling the heat but as we have seen time and again nothing happens to the big, connected fish. The big fish formerly close to the highest institution was "gutted" for reasons that has nothing to do with the "fight against corruption", and you using that as an example tells me you don't really know what you're talking about. End of that discussion as it is a forbidden subject.

2. Back in the day the elites weren't challenged by upstarts. They were just one, big and happy family sharing the "cake". The unthinkable happened; an upstart used the peasentry to deny the elite access to the "cake" so drastic measures were required.

3. Before there were elections and a vocal opposition, as well as a relatively free press. Today there is a junta with article 44 who have granted themselves an amazing amnesty, basic human rights suspended, attitude adjustment sessions, etc, etc.

So clearly I am the one that's accurate...and you are not.

A grammar police post and reply has been removed. 

Another post in which the quoted post's font had been altered has been edited:

2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording. Such posts will be deleted and the user warned.

AGAIN........... booooooooooooooo... hooooooooooo GROW  UP your country AND people are  wholly corrupt and your "govt" has done NOTHING to  fix  it, in fact their only  job is to keep the old corrupt system in place teaching your children the same old  BS, the same old lies and lets not forget the unmentionables, all part of the "system"

2 hours ago, onthesoi said:

Enjoy the Fairy Tales

Tough TiTy you knob head, try cleaning your act up and maybe it'll improve, the whole world knows what a corrupt Government, politicians, civil servants, business people, police force and military you have.

Maybe if you were serious about getting rid of corruption people may sympathize but unfortunately it's all smoke and mirrors with you lot.   

6 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

But they don't understand that true Thainess really is true curruption

Really? That's a bleak statement. 

Let's consider that Asian politics need oversight...and a strong hand that is not going to suffer the bullshit. 

I believe PM Prayuth will lead us forever. I love that guy. 

31 minutes ago, Pinot said:

Let's consider that Asian politics need oversight...and a strong hand that is not going to suffer the bullshit. 

I believe he will have control by force for a long time but hardly leadership. His "roadmap" leads to nowhere except the secrecry behind the barracks walls where they must be laughing at how they can still get away doing the same old tricks.

And will continue to do so until the Thai people wake up and stop living on the hope of promise.

Ah, a thousand years reich?

Last one ended well...