Maternity Leave Requirements

alansiporin

-90 days leave- 45 days full pay and 45 days unpaid. Can be taken in the time period before and/or after delivery. The 90 days includes weekends and holidays.

-Employee cannot be terminated due tonpregnancy. Normal duties may need to be changed (less strenuous) if accompanied by a doctor's note

-90 days leave- 45 days full pay and 45 days unpaid. Can be taken in the time period before and/or after delivery. The 90 days includes weekends and holidays.

-Employee cannot be terminated due tonpregnancy. Normal duties may need to be changed (less strenuous) if accompanied by a doctor's note

Sadly that is not what happens in real life.

My sister-in-law worked at at a well known coffee shop. Told the boss she was pregnant and could not carry the big coffee bags - was sacked.
My wife's friend works in a hotel. Took 2 weeks off to have her baby, was not paid for those 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

56 minutes ago, krabi local said:

My sister-in-law worked at at a well known coffee shop. Told the boss she was pregnant and could not carry the big coffee bags - was sacked.
My wife's friend works in a hotel. Took 2 weeks off to have her baby, was not paid for those 2 weeks.

18 minutes ago, nottocus said:

My mate's wife got fired after she got pregnant.

Then report them to the Labour Office.  They always contact the company with a view to prosecute.

Sad that it is not the reality, but it is the law. There may be some requirement about length if time working for the company before being eligible for the benefit, but I couldn't find anything.

For social security benefit, the insured parent can get 13,000 THB back after delivery and 400 THB per month childcare assistance until the child reaches the age of 6. If the mother participates in the social security program, then she also gets 50 % wage for 90 days (equivalent to 45 days full pay, capped at 15,000 THB per month). 

The max payout then if the mother is insured through social security is 35,500 THB (paid as a lump sum) not including child assistance.

There are some requirements about the length of time paying into the fund before the insured is eligible.

http://www.sso.go.th/wpr/eng/marternity-benefit.html

The social security office (in Bkk at Onnut) also seems to be quite efficient. When we applied for the maternity benefit in December last year, it took less than 2 weeks for the payout. Child assistance takes closer to 2 months or so to process.

On 1/31/2017 at 4:54 PM, janejira said:

Correct under Thai labour laws , but TIT

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:57 PM, krabi local said:

Labour department in Thailand is known to support workers well. If  they did not formally make a complaint with the labour department, then they should blame themselves for the lost money. There is even unemployment benefits for them to fetch if they get fired but I bet they didn't "get" that either

Everybody in the company I work for get compensation for every single leave type supported by labour law, including munk hood leave and castration leave. Everyone who leaves the company request and promptly get unemployment benefits (regardless of if they get fired, decide to quit themselves or get a severance pay package in line with Thai labour law), unless they directly move to another job of course. And to close another myth: There are cases where our HR department is forced to deduct money from salaries for child support every month

It's a question of knowledge and initiative for many lower educated Thai's and I accept that considering their background but I have more mixed feelings when it comes to westerners: It's more ignorance when someone who has the ability to find out still relies on hearsay

It happens all the time and if it doesn't happen, then it is only their own fault

Edited by MikeyIdea