pattaya-- phuket route

tardelli

It really helps to look at the map and realize there is little to no choice how to circle around the gulf of Thailand.

Go north on #7, change to Bangna Trad #34, pass Bangkok on the south on ring road #9.

Continue on #35 and #4 (partly #37).

#4 basically the only major highway to the south. Hopefully all fully rebuilt after the flood damages?

From #4 to #41, #401, #415,

A 1000 km (625 miles) trip.

12h nonstop driving by theory.

A two day trip for me.

And you would have to pay me a reasonable amount to do that.

Others with own experience might give an idea about driving south from Bangkok.

What I read does not sound like a pleasure trip.

"12h nonstop driving by theory":

I am happy to manage 560 km (my place to Pattaya) in 7h to 8h in practical terms.

So I would except to do Pattaya - Phuket in two days of 7h to 8h each.

i drive this route sort of ( i go this way to Trat/Cambodia)

post 4 route is correct BUT forgot to mention there is roadwork on  either side of Prachup Khiri Khan for apx 100kms.

Before Surat Thani you will see signs for Phuket

At Chumpon u could hang a right over to Ranong, more scenic, adds about 1 hour

Driving straight thru  apx 13-14 hours,  I usually stop in Prachup for the night on the way down,  Cha Am on the way up

I,m off on my monthly trip down to Trang early monday morning (4.30am) and can confirm I go exactly the same way as KhunBENQ,s post 4 states,you will need to take the road clearly signposted at Surat for Krabi and follow from there to Phuket,my trip to Trang (Huay yot) is 935 kms which usually takes me around 12 hours (few toilet breaks and food stop at Khaow Pho services Chumpon after 520 kms) most of the roadworks/resurfacing are completed now,just the problem of the temporary bridge at Bang Saphan to contend with :thumbsup:

I,ve done this trip nearly 30 times in the past couple of years and always travel down monday,s returning on thursday,s as traffic seems much easier than at weekends,obviously.