More households to receive Bt690 digital TV coupons from NBTC 

webfact

More households to receive Bt690 digital TV coupons from NBTC 
By  WATCHIRANONT THONGTEP
THE NATION 

BANGKOK: -- THE BROADCASTING regulator is planning to distribute another batch of 3.98 million Bt690 coupons towards the purchase of digital television receivers. 

This second phase of the voucher programme is for the 1.17 million registered households that missed out on receiving the coupons in the earlier phase because of a distribution problem, 407,162 newly registered households, and households with temporary registrations.

“The period of notification started yesterday and goes to March 1. Eligible households can redeem their vouchers from March 2 to September 2,” Takorn Tantasith, secretary-general of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC), said yesterday. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30305376

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-01

No they can not be connected to a satellite system,these boxes are for digital terrestrial tv using antennas not dishes.

If you have a Tv bought in the last 2 years then more than likely it already has a digital tuner built in and so no need for one of these boxes just connect an antenna pointed at the transmission tower.

Thanks for your reply.

Due to surrounding buildings & trees it is difficult to get a good reception with a terrestrial antenna.

There is an exisiting TRUE dish on the roof and the house already has cabling installed though it hasn't been used for several years.

Can I buy a simple set top box that would be able to receive the Thai free-to-air channels without any kind of subscription to TRUE?

The TV I would use in that room is quite new and I assume would have a digital tuner. But I don't suppose that a digital TV can be connected directly to a satellite dish, can it?

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

There is an exisiting TRUE dish on the roof

You should be able to use the existing dish  with a new satellite receiver box  either IPM or PSI they sell them in Big C and Tesco Lotus for about 1000 baht

if needed  a new small dish for about 500 baht    pointing to the Thaicom Satellite ( True is on Thaicom so existing dish points there)

a larger C band black mesh dish would get more free channels from the same satellite but not much in English.

there are a some free to air Thai channels

https://www.lyngsat.com/Thaicom-5-6-8.html

No you cant connect a TV directly to a dish you need a satellite reciever  a bit like a AM radio can;t receive FM stations  or a record player can't play compact discs.

35 minutes ago, rebo said:

Would be interesting how to get one of these coupons.

They are sent in the post to the registered " housemaster"  1 per household   most of the boxes are now priced  about 1000 baht

the 690 baht coupon will subsidise the purchase

Thanks very much Johng. That clears up most of my confusion.

Just one more question: The dish is on the roof of a 3 storey house and the room I would like to put the satellite receiver/TV is on the ground floor in a separate but adjacent building so the cable length is quite long.

Would some kind of signal amplifier be required? This photo shows a switch box in the services cupboard on the 3rd floor. Obviously something has been removed and it looks like it was a powered device. Or if no amplifier is required could I simply put a male connector between the cable from the dish and the cable to the downstairs room (after I figure out which one it is)?

WP_20170201_17_51_55_Pro.jpg

Yes it looks like there may have been a signal amplifier/spliter in there sending the signal to lots of separate rooms.
You might be able to "get away" without the amp
The only way to know if it'll work is try and see..so yes just connect the 2 applicable wires together,the receiver supplies voltage (14/18 volts) to the dish via the signal cable.

54 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes it looks like there may have been a signal amplifier/spliter in there sending the signal to lots of separate rooms.
You might be able to "get away" without the amp
The only way to know if it'll work is try and see..so yes just connect the 2 applicable wires together,the receiver supplies voltage (14/18 volts) to the dish via the signal cable.

OK got it now.

You have been very helpful. Thanks very much.

On 01/02/2017 at 6:47 AM, thedemon said:

Does anyone know whether these digital set-top boxes can be simply connected to an existing Truevisions satellite dish system?

Or are the transmissions on a different band? or the dish will be pointed at the wrong satellite?

Cheers

Not a nit-pick, rather a simple observation...................

"digital set-top boxes"...  since these "boxes will no longer fit on the top of a modern TV, is there a 21s century term for these?

Converter ? Modem? signal receiver?

On 2/1/2017 at 6:20 AM, Reigntax said:

Dont want any of the undesirables missing out on the Friday night live comedy show / propaganda program / brainwashing session / excuses why the monk cant be arrested show, can we?

dont worry they  ( the non junta as we cant say that word) have already been round the local  villages extending the morning megaphone crap they spew everyday...meanwhile the local roads  crumble away until "fixitFalang" goes and fills  in the craters................actually  this time Ive only had praise off  some of the locals, one govt official ( you know the type in khaki unifrom with numerous badges and namplate) even brought me and the kid a coke, 3  thumbs up from passers  by also...............I almost fainted from shock, so far 3  full days work but today its raining so no work,  guess theyve  finally had  enuff of the  "winker"  orbotor who  does  ferk  all

Edited by kannot