Two abandoned suitcases in Phuket Town cause bomb scare, confirmed by police to be emtpy

rooster59

Two abandoned suitcases in Phuket Town cause bomb scare, confirmed by police to be emtpy 

Eakkapop Thongtub

1486203072_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Two abandoned suitcases suspected of potentially containing explosive devices were found in two locations in Phuket Town yesterday evening (Feb 3).

They were both found to be harmless after inspection by the Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) team of the Phuket City Police.

At 8:30pm yesterday (Feb 3), the Phuket City Police and Kusoldharm rescue workers closed off an area near Suan Luang Park (Rama IX) Park in Phuket Town after the discovery of an unattended suitcase in front of SB Living Place hotel near the Intersection of Chao Fah East and Bangkok Roads.

While they were waiting for the EOD team to arrive, a worker of Phuket Municipality garbage collector told Lt Col Chatchat Choonoo of the Phuket City Police: “While I was collecting the garbage, I found a piece of luggage at 8pm, so opened it and found it was empty. I was going to put it into the garbage truck, but I thought that the owner might come back to get it. So I didn’t move it.”

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-abandoned-suitcases-in-phuket-town-cause-bomb-scare-confirmed-by-police-to-be-emtpy-60913.php#eFrCOkVzsRuqztcF.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-02-05

Hmmph. Is there some rumours going on, which we have not heard of, which causes people to be afraid of abandoned packages?

Then again, why a terrorist would put bombs in a suitcase as simple black trashbag would work much better?

13 hours ago, oilinki said:

Hmmph. Is there some rumours going on, which we have not heard of, which causes people to be afraid of abandoned packages?

Then again, why a terrorist would put bombs in a suitcase as simple black trashbag would work much better?

Yes, always amuses me that people automatically equate suitcases with a bomb. Maybe in an airport, but there everyone carries one anyway and some fool (tourist) invariable leaves one behind occasionally. I worked in airports for years, abandoned suitcases frequently caused shutdowns and disruption, but never proved to be explosive.

One of these suitcases was thrown out as rubbish, but the collector presumed the householder made a mistake and left it on the path for him to retrieve.

When the bombers left explosive devices in Phuket a year or so ago they used plastic bags to disguise their bombs.

1 hour ago, tonypace02 said:

Of course they were empty. Who would leave a suitcase bearing a bomb lying around where anybody can grab it?

Bombs cost money.

Yeah, and why so big suitcases? Today you can blow up a block with a bomb in a handbag.

48 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Your handle sums you up- you clearly have no real knowledge of explosives.

Nope! Probably just looking to many movies. Actually not very inerested in having a superior knowledge in that case. You are clearly the expert.

On ‎4‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, oilinki said:

Do you really need to ask such inane questions? Don't you listen to the news or read papers?  Try reading up on the Boston Bombings, bombs contained in pressure cookers and carried inside two back packs.  On the 19th September, 2016, a suspicious package in New Jersey, was being cut open by a robot when it exploded. 

So many people carry back packs, have luggage, and carry packages, all of which does not draw attention to them however, when and where they are left gives rise to suspicion.  There are many more if you would only take time to educate yourself thus preventing the need for you inquiry. You couldn't be that naïve could you, or are you just having a lend of everyone?:wai: