Marks & Spencer targeted in protest

geovalin

After protesting in front of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court earlier this week, a group of former employees of the Chung Fai Knitwear factory moved their demonstration to the office of Marks & Spencer (M&S), an international corporation known to have bought goods from the supplier. The protesters have been raging against the government, local garment factories and international corporations after the Chinese owner of their factory fled the country on June 27, 2016.

He did not give his workers their last paycheck, failed to provide any notice that the factory was closing and did not provide any severance package, all of which are legally required under the Labor Law. Khoeun Chanthorn, a 34-year-old representative of the workers, told Khmer Times yesterday that about 80 workers gathered in front of Phnom Penh Tower, where the M&S offices are located, asking the company to pay them their final wages and benefits after years of buying goods supplied by Chung Fai Knitwear.

“We have come to demand the M&S company in Cambodia solve our problem and help us because this company used to order products from Chung Fai Knitwear and we worked hard to produce these products for the company until our boss fled,” she said. “The company got a lot of benefit and profit from our hard work, so they are responsible for this problem as well.”

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/35223/marks--amp--spencer-targeted-in-protest/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 08/02

Speaking of Marks and Spencer's , I think in the UK it's on it's way out, 

when I was in London last week, it was very quiet, and there choice of clothes was dated to say the least..., I notice this each time I go back....

Waitrose and John Lewis seems to be the popular stores now.