Recent BKK 5-Year Lic. Renewal Experience?

I'm an American living in BKK for 11 years now on retirement visa. Got my Thai license about 6 years ago. First one was valid 1 year, I think. Second (5-year) one expires on my birthday later this month, so need to renew soon.
I've read that one of the requirements when I go to Dept of Land Transport (DLT) near Bangchak BTS on Sukhumvit is a Residence Certificate. (Other requirements seem to be the usual: copy of important pages of passport, departure card, bring original of former license, current passport, money for fees. Photo not required, as they take one digitally.)
Or, are my original apartment contract and recent rent receipt sufficient as 'proof of residence' for DLT?
If I must obtain a Residence Certificate, apparently I can get one at the US embassy, but it's expensive, or at Thai Immigration. So, Thai Immigration seems the obvious choice. Is there somewhere other than Chiang Wattana where I can get this, like somewhere around Latprao?? If I need one, are my original apartment contract and recent rent receipt sufficient documents? (Oh darn--I heard my 90-day report receipt may also be required. Is it absolutely required? I just sent it off in the mail as it was time to do the 90-day report. I do have a copy of it though.)
I guess I may also have to take 3 easy tests (color, depth perception, response time).

Went to DLT near Bangchak BTS today and asked what is required. They said only:

- passport

- certificate of residence (obtainable from either one's embassy or Thai immigration [but I've heard getting it from Thai immigration can take 3 weeks. So, for me, only option is my embassy...which, apparently, is much more expensive that Thai immigration version. Oh well.])

Not required: medical certificate, photo

Went to my embassy Tuesday to get the silly Residence Certificate with notary seal ($50 at US embassy). Got to DLT around Soi 99 Sukhumvit a bit after 10am today, got out about 12:30. (Brought signed copies of all important passport pages, departure card....) Had to take the silly eye tests, watch a silly video for an hour, pay 655 baht. Got TEN YEAR license this time! Yay!
PS--The eye test lady told me not to wear shorts next time. Big sign now shows "approved dress for government buildings" with an X over shorts. Pretty sure I've worn shorts out to Chang Wattana before, so maybe this is recent policy of the military government?

2 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Went to my embassy Tuesday to get the silly Residence Certificate with notary seal ($50 at US embassy). Got to DLT around Soi 99 Sukhumvit a bit after 10am today, got out about 12:30. (Brought signed copies of all important passport pages, departure card....) Had to take the silly eye tests, watch a silly video for an hour, pay 655 baht. Got TEN YEAR license this time! Yay!
PS--The eye test lady told me not to wear shorts next time. Big sign now shows "approved dress for government buildings" with an X over shorts. Pretty sure I've worn shorts out to Chang Wattana before, so maybe this is recent policy of the military government?

10 year licence are you sure? I know you can get 6 years if you renew just after a birthday, but never heard of a 10 year licence.

13 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I had one, unfortunately when it expired I received the standard 5+ one.

Yes, but the OP said he just got one, which I find difficult to believe, unless policy has changed and no one else knows about it but him.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Yes, but the OP said he just got one, which I find difficult to believe, unless policy has changed and no one else knows about it but him.

I know, but I was reacting to somebody who said he had never heard of 10 year licenses here.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I know, but I was reacting to somebody who said he had never heard of 10 year licenses here.

How long ago were the 10 year licences available? I've been here 7 years and they haven't been available in that time.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

How long ago were the 10 year licences available? I've been here 7 years and they haven't been available in that time.

Afaik they were never officially available. I got mine when they were still handing out lifetime licenses to Thai, probably just typed in a wrong date (I had for car and motorbike 10 years).

On 2017-02-16 at 5:18 PM, OliverKlozerof said:

So what is the issue date on your new licence? If you really got 10y extension, how did you do it?

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Afaik they were never officially available. I got mine when they were still handing out lifetime licenses to Thai, probably just typed in a wrong date (I had for car and motorbike 10 years).

Well that's why I'd never heard of them if you only got yours by accident.

Apologies: It's a FIVE YEAR renewal, same as last time. I must have been tired when I wrote the above. Right: It was issued in 2011 and now expires in 2022. (First license lasted one year, I think; then got 5-year renewal; then just now extended for another 5 years.)

SORRY 8-]

(Didn't there used to be a way to edit one's post? Or am I missing something?)

10 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Apologies: It's a FIVE YEAR renewal, same as last time. I must have been tired when I wrote the above. Right: It was issued in 2011 and now expires in 2022. (First license lasted one year, I think; then got 5-year renewal; then just now extended for another 5 years.)

SORRY 8-]

(Didn't there used to be a way to edit one's post? Or am I missing something?)

Confirmed what I thought. Yes, you can edit your posts but I think there's a time limit to do it. The Edit button is next to the Quote button at the bottom of your text.

Edited by giddyup