Jazz Festival - Tickets At The Door?

brahmburgers

Am planning on showing up for Friday's Jazz Festival show. Can anyone tell me whether I can just show up and purchase tickets 'at the gate?' or whether I have to purchase in advance. The Thai 'Ticket master tel# is 022623456. Other tidbits I've picked up from an internet search. Tickets are Bt.1,500 I've heard it's being showcased at Chiang Mai University, specifically; the 'Art Gallery' there, though another web site mentioned 'Sanam Hor Silp' ....are they the same venue? 5 bonus points for whomever can tell me whether it's assigned seating (I hope not) or a more free-flowing environment where people can groove wherever they feel most comfortable. I love improv jazz, but am a bit wary of venues organized by Thais - because they're often poorly organized and always too loud.

Example: the other evening in C.Rai, I went to a street fair and there was a group of young students playing traditional Thai string and wood instruments. In typical Thai fashion, there was a large P.A. system blaring out the sounds. Plus there was a recording playing in back of the students. (never mind the four other types of music drifting in from nearby venues) - all in all, I could not hear the lovely acoustic sounds of the kids' instruments (it was all amplified) and didn't know which sounds they were making as opposed to the pre-recorded stuff they were playing along with. Thai music performances are like Thai omelettes: they're never satisfied with the basic acoustic sounds - or likewise; the lovely taste of an unadulterated cooked egg.

Booking the ticket for jazz royale festival in Chaing Mai

1500 bht / day

Tourism Authority of Thailand(TAT) Chiang Mai Tel. 0 5324 8604 , 0 5324 8607

Thai Hotels Association 3rd Fl. Chiang mai airport

the 'Art Gallery' there, though another web site mentioned 'Sanam Hor Silp' ....are they the same venue?

yep

Edited by BambinA

Am planning on showing up for Friday's Jazz Festival show. Can anyone tell me whether I can just show up and purchase tickets 'at the gate?'

I went last night, and while I had bought my tickets in advance and so did not need to try to purchase at the door, it looked like tickets were being sold near the entrance.

5 bonus points for whomever can tell me whether it's assigned seating (I hope not) or a more free-flowing environment where people can groove wherever they feel most comfortable.

I'll take the bonus points. It is not assigned seating.

I love improv jazz, but am a bit wary of venues organized by Thais - because they're often poorly organized and always too loud.

This is very well organized and quite wonderful. The setting is outdoors, the music is excellent (my personal favorite from last night was Ahmad Jamal), the seating is plentiful (including a large number of tables with chairs around them, for those who want to eat and listen), and there is plenty of good food and drink sold from stalls. There was only one small distraction the entire evening, when an airplane that had just taken off from the nearby airport passed close overhead. Highly recommended.