Thai Buddhists nationwide observe Makha Bucha Day today

Jonathan Fairfield

Thai Buddhists nationwide observe Makha Bucha Day today

10_Maka.jpg

Thai Buddhists nationwide observed the Makha Bucha Day today offering alms to monks at temples as part of the merit making in this significant religious day.

This important day marked four important events happening in the ancient Buddhism period.

It was the day when 1,250 disciples of Shanga spontaneously rose to see Lord  Buddha;  all of the 1,250 disciples were considered “enlightened ones,” all were ordained by the Lord Buddha; and it was on this day where Lord Buddha taught his disciples the three principles of Ovada Patimokkha (to abstain from sin, to perform good deeds, and to find purity of mind), and it was a full moon.

In Bangkok, deputy governor Mrs Wanwilai Phromlakano chaired the ceremony to offer alms to 99 monks at the monument of King Rama 6 at Lumphini Park.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-buddhists-nationwide-observe-makha-bucha-day-today/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-02-11

I went out for a few hours this morning, and when I got back, my missus had put a shelf up with Buddha on above the bedroom door. We were supposed to have an agreement; I won't put my atheist paraphernalia if she doesn't put up her Buddhist stuff. 

Anywho, I wyed Buddha and asked for money. I was informed that you're not supposed to ask for things out loud, so I said I'll ask for money in my head, then. Can't hurt, right? 

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I went out for a few hours this morning, and when I got back, my missus had put a shelf up with Buddha on above the bedroom door. We were supposed to have an agreement; I won't put my atheist paraphernalia if she doesn't put up her Buddhist stuff. 

Anywho, I wyed Buddha and asked for money. I was informed that you're not supposed to ask for things out loud, so I said I'll ask for money in my head, then. Can't hurt, right? 

Where have you been drinking this morning ?

34 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

You sound awful. I pity your wife. You're not clever, big or funny.  Buddhism is a belief system not a religion as it has no. God.  With regards to your wife. You sound like a bully to me. 

7 minutes ago, WhizBang said:

And as good Buddhists, I am sure not a single drop of alcohol will be drunk today.   :shock1:        :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:          :burp:     :partytime2:

A lot less for sure-obviously you don't know many Thais many of  whom never  or seldom drink. Perhaps you are projecting your own hypocrisy on to decent people. 

Edited by The manic

30 minutes ago, The manic said:

You sound awful. I pity your wife. You're not clever, big or funny.  Buddhism is a belief system not a religion as it has no. God.  With regards to your wife. You sound like a bully to me. 

Why thank you, sir. Welcome to the adult world. 

Buddhism is not a religion? Wow, really? You do know that religion is the belief and worship in god/gods 'or' a system of belief and worship. I think you're mistaking religion for theism. It's usually white dudes who convert to Buddhism that say it's not a religion. They wear Buddhism like a cool badge but don't want the stigma attached to the fact it is a religion. Thailand is the most religious country in the world according to stats. 

I'm a bully to my wife ha ha? The greatest trick religion ever pulled wasn't making people have faith in something that defies the laws of physics, it was having people believe that this belief couldn't be debated, criticised or ridiculed. I think you've gotten caught up in the whole 'respect others' beliefs' syndrome. You don't have to respect any beliefs, but you do have to acknowledge them. 

At the end of the day, most religions punish those who don't believe or mock them. You should simply be happy in the knowledge that I'm going to hell or coming back as a dung beetle, etc. Never understood why people take offence when people question their religion. Or is is that by questioning it they're putting doubts into the other person's mind. 

As for my missus (not wife), she's an adult who talks openly with me about all subjects, but has to pretend to be someone else when she's with closed minded people. 

30 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

At the end of the day, most religions punish those who don't believe or mock them. You should simply be happy in the knowledge that I'm going to hell or coming back as a dung beetle, etc. 

When I asked a devout Christian friend in the UK what would happen if I converted to Buddhism, she said that I would go to hell. Now living in Thailand to adapt for the heat later on.

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Why thank you, sir. Welcome to the adult world. 

Buddhism is not a religion? Wow, really? You do know that religion is the belief and worship in god/gods 'or' a system of belief and worship. I think you're mistaking religion for theism. It's usually white dudes who convert to Buddhism that say it's not a religion. They wear Buddhism like a cool badge but don't want the stigma attached to the fact it is a religion. Thailand is the most religious country in the world according to stats. 

I'm a bully to my wife ha ha? The greatest trick religion ever pulled wasn't making people have faith in something that defies the laws of physics, it was having people believe that this belief couldn't be debated, criticised or ridiculed. I think you've gotten caught up in the whole 'respect others' beliefs' syndrome. You don't have to respect any beliefs, but you do have to acknowledge them. 

At the end of the day, most religions punish those who don't believe or mock them. You should simply be happy in the knowledge that I'm going to hell or coming back as a dung beetle, etc. Never understood why people take offence when people question their religion. Or is is that by questioning it they're putting doubts into the other person's mind. 

As for my missus (not wife), she's an adult who talks openly with me about all subjects, but has to pretend to be someone else when she's with closed minded people. 

" He did not claim that he was a god, the child of a god or even the messenger from a god. He was a human being who perfected himself and taught that if we followed his example, we could perfect ourselves also." Got it? However it is my view that many, perhaps majority, can't handle responsibility for own life and hope there is something or someone that will rescue them. Protective daddy syndrome might be good name. So they ignore that part of Buddha's teachings and pray to him for all the usual stuff like other religions do: save Aunt Mary, give me lottery numbers, etc.

religion: " the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods." Buddha never claimed to be superhuman that I know of. Perhaps some over zealous believers laid that on him to wow the masses. 

I agree with your second paragraph. Buddha said to take nothing on faith, but to test it for truth. That is a good scientific approach. Religion gets no "hands off" respect from me. "most religions punish those who don't believe or mock them" correction: followers of religions (often encouraged by "holy scriptures") are the ones who punish. Buddhism more like "here it is, take it or leave it". Any punishment they see happening to you is self inflicted.

Cheers, enjoy from atheist Buddhist

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda01.htm

7 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

" He did not claim that he was a god, the child of a god or even the messenger from a god. He was a human being who perfected himself and taught that if we followed his example, we could perfect ourselves also." Got it? However it is my view that many, perhaps majority, can't handle responsibility for own life and hope there is something or someone that will rescue them. Protective daddy syndrome might be good name. So they ignore that part of Buddha's teachings and pray to him for all the usual stuff like other religions do: save Aunt Mary, give me lottery numbers, etc.

religion: " the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods." Buddha never claimed to be superhuman that I know of. Perhaps some over zealous believers laid that on him to wow the masses. 

I agree with your second paragraph. Buddha said to take nothing on faith, but to test it for truth. That is a good scientific approach. Religion gets no "hands off" respect from me. "most religions punish those who don't believe or mock them" correction: followers of religions (often encouraged by "holy scriptures") are the ones who punish. Buddhism more like "here it is, take it or leave it". Any punishment they see happening to you is self inflicted.

Cheers, enjoy from atheist Buddhist

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda01.htm

Read the definition of 'religion' properly before you start taking about Buddha not being a god. Religion isn't necessarily the belief and worship of a god. There doesn't need to be a god for it to be a religion.

There's no such thing as an atheist Buddhist. That's like saying that 60% of the time you're right all of the time. 

I suggest you read the definition of religion. This is from Oxford dictionary: " The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods." (might throw in supernatural)  " Religion isn't necessarily the belief and worship of a god." well then, if you take that out, how is it different from a Man U fan club? Once more, Buddha did not claim to be a God, a messenger from God or any of that. Again, that some believers still think of Buddha that way and worship him merely shows they do not know Buddhism.  " The second reason the Buddha did not believe in a god is because there does not seem to be any evidence to support this idea " Sounds pretty much like an atheist to me. Explain if you disagree please. see whole article here: http://www.buddhanet.net/ans73.htm

47 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

I suggest you read the definition of religion. This is from Oxford dictionary: " The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods." (might throw in supernatural)  " Religion isn't necessarily the belief and worship of a god." well then, if you take that out, how is it different from a Man U fan club? Once more, Buddha did not claim to be a God, a messenger from God or any of that. Again, that some believers still think of Buddha that way and worship him merely shows they do not know Buddhism.  " The second reason the Buddha did not believe in a god is because there does not seem to be any evidence to support this idea " Sounds pretty much like an atheist to me. Explain if you disagree please. see whole article here: http://www.buddhanet.net/ans73.htm

You're clearly mistaking the teachings of Buddha with Buddhism. The teachings of Buddha "don't harm any living creatures, etc' are a set of ideas. Philosophies. They're not exclusive to Buddhism but they are common sense. You don't need to say that you're Buddhist to follow ideas that are common sense. You cannot copyright philosophies. 

Again, Buddhism is a religion. You don't have to worship a 'god' but merely worship an idea. So yea, being a supporter of a football team can be a religion to some people. You can even start religions and be officially recognised. Look at Scientology. 

Now, the definiton of an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in a god. So, you're right. Buddhists are technically atheists in they don't believe in a god. But what's the word for someone who doesn't believe in a god nor any religion? There is no belief in a god in Buddhism,  the fundamentals of Buddhism is to break the cycle of reincarnation and find enlightenment. This is a religion without a god. 

There should be no word for someone who doesn't believe in a god or relgion. But sadly there is. I'm not an astrologer yet there's no name for that. We're all technically agnostic as we can't prove there is no god or gods. I also can't technically prove there is no tooth fairy. 

So to conclude. You can believe in whatever you want, and we can give that a name. But the rest of us would like proof, and until that's shown, we have no name. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/11530382/Mapped-These-are-the-worlds-most-religious-countries.html

Edited by rkidlad

48 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

You're clearly mistaking the teachings of Buddha with Buddhism. The teachings of Buddha "don't harm any living creatures, etc' are a set of ideas. Philosophies. They're not exclusive to Buddhism but they are common sense. You don't need to say that you're Buddhist to follow ideas that are common sense. You cannot copyright philosophies. 

Again, Buddhism is a religion. You don't have to worship a 'god' but merely worship an idea. So yea, being a supporter of a football team can be a religion to some people. You can even start religions and be officially recognised. Look at Scientology. 

Now, the definiton of an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in a god. So, you're right. Buddhists are technically atheists in they don't believe in a god. But what's the word for someone who doesn't believe in a god nor any religion? There is no belief in a god in Buddhism,  the fundamentals of Buddhism is to break the cycle of reincarnation and find enlightenment. This is a religion without a god. 

There should be no word for someone who doesn't believe in a god or relgion. But sadly there is. I'm not an astrologer yet there's no name for that. We're all technically agnostic as we can't prove there is no god or gods. I also can't technically prove there is no tooth fairy. 

So to conclude. You can believe in whatever you want, and we can give that a name. But the rest of us would like proof, and until that's shown, we have no name. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/11530382/Mapped-These-are-the-worlds-most-religious-countries.html

Edited by rkidlad

Gullible believers, a lot worse than Catholic believers, the candles, blessed water, blessed cars, blessed houses, 15 km long wire connecting all village houses, freeing animals for karma, not different but simply worse.

When I asked a devout Christian friend in the UK what would happen if I converted to Buddhism, she said that I would go to hell. Now living in Thailand to adapt for the heat later on.

True conversion should free you from your Christian beliefs! There is no hell. You got no worries, my friend.