What age can Kids in Thailand choose which parent they wish to live with ?

bluebird729

My limited experience is that mostly the family will decide or let the kid decide... I am raising a niece and several years ago, we built a house for her birth parents on our property... she experimented for a few days, but we have raised her from an infant and she chose to continue to live with us... 

Thailand did sign the international child rights as far as I know.

This implies at age of 12 years the child can choose.

Some countries will when brought to court seperate by gender. Meaning the son goes to the father and the girl to the morther.

The governent will monitor that the family band is kept and tighten.

A child chooses. If it chooses the mother then let it be, and respect the choice.

You do like to do things against your will or be at place you not like to be?

From memory at 18 year you can be on your own, hope someone can confirm.

At any age 15 must be OK if your mother has a legal custody order and does not object OK.

If the mother doesn't have legal custody and your Father is happy for you to stay don't see a problem.

4 minutes ago, Belzybob said:

Reality is if they make a choice, what hope is there for any relationship with the child by imposing a contrary position, based purely on the legal position?

A child still has rights,  and we know very little of OP's situation,  which may be complicated or maybe not. 

Got divorced in the US when my daughter was only 2. Judge gave custody to the wife understandably. However, the daughter lived with me 6-7 days a week. When she turned 12, which I thought was the legal age where she could make her own decision we went to my attorney. He asked me why I waited so long to sue for custody. At court, the judge took my daughter back into his chambers & asked her who she would rather live with. Came out, slammed his gavel down & said "Custody goes to the father". So apparently the child has a say so into the matter. Not sure at what age a Thai child would qualify though.

Archived