Japan

jphasia

We have decided with my wife and my son (17 years old) to go to Japan for a holiday trip the first week of April. It will be the first time for us there. We will staying there 6 full days. I just booked the flight tickets. We don't have any specific plans and we will travel on our own. We will be landing in Tokyo and going back from Tokyo as well. As said, we don't have much plans but we would like to see: Tokyo, Kyoto and Mount Fuji at least.

Wondering if someone has experience about traveling in Japan and would appreciate any advises. We are not much limited on budget but not looking for top range either. Any advises about accommodations, transportations, is 6 days enough to go around and see at least Tokyo, Kyoto, Mount Fuji, things to do, things to avoid...

Thanks

Check out the JR Rail Pass. Unlimited travel for a specified period, at a very reasonable price. I haven't been there in years; information is probably available online now. I have been to Japan twice. When I went , the JR Pail Pass was only offered to foreigners, and had to be purchased before arriving in Japan. When I went, I bought it from a travel agent.

The Japanese rail system is marvelous, trains are frequent, clean and punctual. 

IF you happen to live in BKK-visit the Thai INT Travel fair now till sun 19 in Sirikit centre-a whole hall for JPN only. Do NOT go unprepared-both the language and the price level will make you broke. A 7-day JR-pas cost about the same as a normal return by superfast Shinkansen Tokyo-Kyoto/Osaka. There are also much cheaper buses (coaches) check japanbusonline.com-they also offer cheap accomm/hoStel style in some places.

40 minutes ago, asanee said:

IF you happen to live in BKK-visit the Thai INT Travel fair now till sun 19 in Sirikit centre-a whole hall for JPN only. Do NOT go unprepared-both the language and the price level will make you broke. A 7-day JR-pas cost about the same as a normal return by superfast Shinkansen Tokyo-Kyoto/Osaka. There are also much cheaper buses (coaches) check japanbusonline.com-they also offer cheap accomm/hoStel style in some places.

Thanks for the feedback. No, I am not living in Bangkok but Phuket and working in Myanmar. I will be in Bangkok on 25/26 this month but I guess it's too late.

What do you mean by "Do NOT go unprepared-both the language and the price level will make you broke". As for the language, we don't speak a word in Japanese. However, I guess they can speak some english (at least in the tourist area where we will mostly end up)?

I know the accommodation are quite expensive there. I am prepared for a budget of 400 USD / night for 2 rooms. I guess I am in the safe side with such budget?

My main concern is about transportation. it sounds that trains and superfast train are the most convenient to travel within Japan. As I don't want spend days in a bus, I am more interested to use trains / superfast trains to do my trip. But I would to know if it is easy to make stop wherever you want. For example, can I use the superfast train from Tokyo, stop in Mount fuji area (Hakone, 5 lakes...) for one or 2 nights, then take the train again to Kyoto?