Are These People Serious?

ChiangMaiThai

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/01/arts/01DINO.html

"My kids kept recognizing flaws in the presentation," said Mrs. Passmore, of Jackson, Ala. "You know — the whole `millions of years ago dinosaurs ruled the earth' thing."

There are dinosaur bone replicas, with accompanying explanations that God made dinosaurs on Day 6 of the creation as described in Genesis, 6,000 years ago.

And it continues... What is going on in these people's heads?

Did not get the NYT - story, as restricted to registered members.

But anyway, who lives for longer than 10 years in CMT and clings to the job is a dynosaur.

Count me in for the next 6000 years. :o

Oh heck yes they are serious. I'm stuck for 8 hours a day with one in a little office, just the two of us. This is akin to "chinese water torture" for me (actually Korean ... see below). Bad science, predisposed conclusions, and any topic from making brownies to mowing the yard somehow leads to a discussion of the bible. Geology, paleontology, archeology are all a pseudo-intellecutal humanist crock, according to my .. cough cough .. learned colleague. At least anything that goes back past 6,000 years or so.

On the other hand, being of Korean extraction, he likes to point out that, according to experts, asians have larger brain capacity. Also that middle eastern societies are really asian so Jesus was really an asian. Which I'm fine with, he can be asian, middle eastern, african, I'm pretty open there.

An interesting side note, he claims that Chinese are not truly asian. Which baffles me, but not to the point of asking why, since I've learned from experience that it is bad for my blood pressure.

Jeepz

Edited by Jeepz

JEEPZ; while having a conversation with my wife about the origions of THAI,AKHA ,LAHU, and others in thailand, she said that not all can be Thai,when asked why,she said "because they came from another place and cannot be Thai citizens" Well says I,What if they were born here and their parents and grandparents were born here? "makes no difference, only Thai can be Thai citizen",,So where did Thai origionally come from? "came from Thailand,always been Thai,been here forever"

So if you were ever wondering about origions,Now you have it. :o

The only NORTH Americans are the Indians the rest are just descendants of Immigrants fom throughout the world.

Stop saying American for South America and Canada do not always want to identified with the USA.

"makes no difference, only Thai can be Thai citizen",,So where did Thai origionally come from? "came from Thailand,always been Thai,been here forever"

Ask her about the Mon (มอญ, ตะเลง) and Lawa (ละว้า). It's quite possible that the Central Thai were originally Mon, and Lamphun was founded by the Lawa hermit Suthep, though its rulers were Mon from Lopburi.

As to the original argument, how did the local Chinese get Thai citizenship? Are they part-Thai? (Rule of thumb: 4 or more syllables in the surname implies Chinese. It is not infallible - some of the royal family also have long surnames.)

The only NORTH Americans are the Indians the rest are just descendants of Immigrants fom throughout the world.

Aside: Does Tiger Woods legally qualify as an Indian? I've not heard which tribe he might belong to.

The Tierra del Fuegans are gone, so why insert the word 'NORTH'? I see you've rejected the Inuit as native. But the view is emerging that the Amerindians swamped or wiped out earlier inhabitants! The Amerindians are not that distinctive - I've heard them described, by a Thai, as looking Thai, and my wife recently wondered whether a TV program about settlement in Amazonia thet we hopped over to was about Thailand!

The historians think that the South American Indians would be the descendants of the Asian hordes which crossed the Bering Strait towards 40.000 before J.-C. These tribes settled initially in North America and a part of them migrated gradually towards the South. Towards 26.000 before J.-C. they cross the isthmus of Panama and arrive to South America. Towards 16.000 before. J.-C. the South American continent is colonized.

I showed pictures of Montagnais amerindians to my Thai Gf and she was amazed at their facial features which are very similar to Thais.

The one on the left hand side is a full -blooded Montagnais.

kashtin_202.jpg

"makes no difference, only Thai can be Thai citizen",,So where did Thai origionally come from? "came from Thailand,always been Thai,been here forever"

Ask her about the Mon (มอญ, ตะเลง) and Lawa (ละว้า). It's quite possible that the Central Thai were originally Mon, and Lamphun was founded by the Lawa hermit Suthep, though its rulers were Mon from Lopburi.

As to the original argument, how did the local Chinese get Thai citizenship? Are they part-Thai? (Rule of thumb: 4 or more syllables in the surname implies Chinese. It is not infallible - some of the royal family also have long surnames.)

Aside: Does Tiger Woods legally qualify as an Indian? I've not heard which tribe he might belong to.

The Tierra del Fuegans are gone, so why insert the word 'NORTH'? I see you've rejected the Inuit as native. But the view is emerging that the Amerindians swamped or wiped out earlier inhabitants! The Amerindians are not that distinctive - I've heard them described, by a Thai, as looking Thai, and my wife recently wondered whether a TV program about settlement in Amazonia thet we hopped over to was about Thailand!

I recently saw a documentary on PBS about the people of Tierra Del Fuego. They

are genetically linked to the Aborigines of Australia. Much of their artwork, tools and customs are very similar. There are only two full blood left, they are two sisters. That my friends is a long canoe ride.