Central Group buys British Embassy land for 20 billion baht

snoop1130

Not too worried about it myself. Visiting was never that nice. Bit of a shame that they had a nice piece of land in the central area of Bangkok and are selling it off. The money they make will be more than I ever see in my lifetime. Drop in the ocean big picture wise. SAD.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

oh how have the mighty fallen

the actual UK ambassador must be happy to get away from an area in BKK where pollution by cars shortens your life

Edited by fvw53

21 hours ago, The Dancer said:

This Brexit deal is hitting the UK hard. BBC has it that the Govt., with royal encouragement, is looking at renting out rooms in Buckingham Palace, particularly the bigger ones off the Marble Hall. There is enormous interest from Russian oligarchs and Chinese billionaires in throwing birthday bashes and wedding receptions in the home of royalty.

Apparently, too, William and Kate might be available to attend these occasions at an enormous (undisclosed) hourly fee. And the Queen herself might pop in for guest selfies at over 1000 pounds each.

It's not to fund "Brexit" it is to house, feed, and nurse the all the Eurotrash immigrant families from Romania and Bulgaria etc... The rest of your suggestions were very funny.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

12 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

It's not to fund "Brexit" it is to house, feed, and nurse the all the Eurotrash immigrant families from Romania and Bulgaria etc... The rest of your suggestions were very funny.

Sad but true...., and all the rest for sure.....

10 hours ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

Fallen?

it's 20 Billion 'smackers'.....   if someone offered you 10 times what your house is worth, would you 'rip his arm' off?  I certainly would.  

Very well put.

A hundred years ish ago Thailand's main allies and trading partners, the UK, USA and The Dutch were asked/offered to move away from their river side embassy's to what is now Wireless/Ploenchit. Of course at the time this area was fields/nothing. The USA and Dutch took the offer of free land to use from the Thai (Siam at the time) Govt but the UK BOUGHT their plot from Nail Lert, I believe the price was about £20,000 at the time.

This is why the UK Govt could sell their front garden to Central to build Central Empty and why they can now sell the rest for nearly half a Billion Pounds. So £50Million 10 or so years ago and nearly £500 Million now. Not a bad bit of business considering the purchase price and also the whole site was valued at only £8.8 Million in 2001.

On 2/23/2017 at 9:58 AM, aslimversgwm said:

The British  Embassy in Hanoi is on the 4th floor of a very ordinary office block. It's where I got married in November last. Lovely staff but a shame about the environment for a wedding! But heh! You cannot get married at our embassy in BKK  in any event so what the hell! 

This has NOTHING to do with the Embassy here in Bangkok, it has EVERYTHING to do with the fact that same sex marriages/civil partnerships are not recognised in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Perhaps they could give some to Pensioners here they have robbed.You not suppose d to take big money from Thailand if it's yours

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It's all been spent paying for the guys cheap yellow gold chain in pattaya recently stolen 

the Phuket theif benefits being sent out by his mum 

Jonny foreigner hospital bills in the UK 

i could go on & on ?

On 2/22/2017 at 11:26 PM, Shaksey said:

Walk up the small Soi next to the staff entrance to the embassy and you'll get to the Nai Lert family mansions and park. It used to include the land the embassy is on that they sold to the British but even without that land it's still a good size and full of trees, greenery etc. It was actually the first public park in Bangkok, pre-dating Lumpini. It's 500thb for a tour and well worth it.

is  it  500  for farangs and  5000 for  thais, should be

Who gives a damn where the embassies are? The only people who care are the free loaders and snout in the trough pigs that work there.

The Embassies do little for the ordinary person except make life hard for them and spend most of their time hobnobbing it with other embassy staff.

A number of nice purpose built consulates around the country would be much better and let the Ambassador live in a downtown condo..

On 23 February 2017 at 4:04 AM, Dogmatix said:

You are right on the separation of embassy and consular functions but what people are complaining about here is the lack of adequate citizen services provided by the consular section which is an indivisible part of any embassy and this applies to British embassies all around the world, not just in Thailand.

If we compare with other farang countries' citizen services, say the US for example, we will see some glaring differences in attitude and subsequent quality of service provided to citizens abroad. One huge difference is that the US believes that the staffers of vice-consular rank, the backbone of all consular services, must be all US citizens and international foreign service staff properly trained by the State Dept in Washington. The British Consulate in Bangkok has only the consul who is a bona fide diplomat and maybe one or two assistants. All the rest are low  cost, untrained local hires, either Thais or Brits who came to Thailand as low paid English teachers. The Thais man the desks at the consulate and the former English teachers deal with the undertaker functions for Brits who are murdered or die of natural causes and do occasional prison visits. I can't recall how many times I have tried to get something a bit out of the ordinary done at the British Consulate and found myself confronted with a Thai staffer who was woefully ignorant of British laws and regulations and just handed out her own stupid opinion as gospel,  just like Thai government officials do. These issues were only resolved by appealing to one of the real diplomats later which wasted a lot of my time.

US consular staff I have talked to have been absolutely appalled at the stories of inadequate citizen services provided by the British Consulate in Bangkok. One example was the young English teacher who was taken ill with heart disease and found that his Thai employer had simply stolen his social security deductions when he attempted to get treatment under the social security system healthcare system that he had believed he could rely on. The British Consulate steadfastly refused to be of any assistance and uncaringly left the young man to suffer and die. If he had been American, my US consular friends assure me, he would probably still be alive today. There are many other examples but that should suffice. To finish off it is worth pointing out that the horrible service provided to citizens abroad is matched by the indifference and callousness shown by the Foreign Office in London to the families of Brits murdered abroad which has been so bad that MPs have had to complain about it in Parliament.

"Undertake functions for Brits who are muddered "( in Thailand ) 

best they make the new building bigger then ! 

On 23 February 2017 at 4:23 AM, muzmurray said:

Maybe if the poor gent who passed away had asked earlier where his hospital card was, he would have found out in time that his contributions were not being paid.

Also, he could have still received treatment, albeit at a cost. No-one is denied treatment in an emergency.

Just to extrapolate on this story - are you saying that the British government should have paid for his treatment ? Are you suggesting that the Embassy is there to babysit the grown ups who don't bother with health or travel insurance ?

Bravo ! 

Or or bail out losers over here we certainly don't want to return to the UK 

worse still with extra company & a burden on my taxes thanks ! 

On 23 February 2017 at 3:30 AM, alanrchase said:

Been to the embassy three times. Needed documents certified. Awful experience. Armitage Shanks toilets.

At least they weren't stamped 

"American Standard" 

i used to enjoy spraying that logo 

now I can only manage a mere dribble 

On 23 February 2017 at 10:17 AM, alanrchase said:

Not too worried about it myself. Visiting was never that nice. Bit of a shame that they had a nice piece of land in the central area of Bangkok and are selling it off. The money they make will be more than I ever see in my lifetime. Drop in the ocean big picture wise. SAD.

Never had a 1 bad experience of a visit there & I've been a few times that said 

once I had got past the cue of low life's who are an embarrassment to even hold such a fantastic travel document which is the envy of most countries 

hence there's always been a cue 

I only hope that's gone to end as soon as possible now finally decisions have been made & the people have spoken out ! 

2 hours ago, Itsnottheplaceitwas said:

Never had a 1 bad experience of a visit there & I've been a few times that said 

once I had got past the cue of low life's who are an embarrassment to even hold such a fantastic travel document which is the envy of most countries 

hence there's always been a cue 

I only hope that's gone to end as soon as possible now finally decisions have been made & the people have spoken out ! 

Are you suggesting that there was a queue of snooker and pool players ?

:-)