Transfer Money out of Thailand 2017

Anyone  tried recently to Transfer money out of Thailand in 2017, have the Banks changed their policy or am i just having a bad run?

For over a decade i have had no problem with Thai banks, occasionally i need to transfer cash back home and they have been fine if its below 20k USD. Even sometimes over that amount they have also been fine.

Now i have been to 3 different banks and branches this week, and been flat out refused everytime.

I even showed them an FET form which i thought would help, yet i was also refused even with one of those. and asked for more papers and documents and proof of funds.

It seems now that moving money out even if its below 20k USD requires not just a  Work permit but a check in the bank book on every transaction and where the money came from!!!

Ive never had this happen before, and obviously feel rather annoyed. Infact i plan not to bring another baht into Thailand and to empty every single bank account and buy a safe instead. Seriously!

Something bad is happening if they wont allow us to send money back home without a work permit. many of us have retired already or trade stocks or are private investors. We dont need a work permit to have money!

Anyone else having problems or can share recent news or experience

on sending money out of Thailand via Thai Banks in 2017

Edited by djlest

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from my bank trying to pay a hotel in Indonesia, who don't take credit cards. Small amount about 18-19,000 baht. Was informed since my account didn't show any incoming transfers from abroad within the last year, they could not transfer the money to Indonesia....Got the advice to use Western Union....!! Been a customer with the bank for 15 years....and a lot of my income comes from my security account with the same bank....The kids behind the counter wouldn't even listen...."Can Not"