Krabi national park authority want 128 million baht to develop tourism

rooster59

Krabi national park authority want 128 million baht to develop tourism

NjpUs24nCQKx5e1A7XBYRNRwvyQIXtjXH2ko3bFCARi.jpg

Image: Thairath

The national park authority at the centre of the protest by boat operators in Ao Nang, Krabi has requested 128 million baht to develop tourism in the area.

The request comes from the Hat Nopparat Thara - Moo Koh Phi Phi park authority to the national park office.

They said they used to collect 100 million baht a year. But since the fees for tourists went up they collected 500 million baht in revenue last year.

They want a proportion of this ploughed back into the area.

Boat operators in the area don't care about this, however. They want the national park HQ to lower the fees by half from 400 to 200 baht for adults and 200 to 100 for foreign children. Thais pay 40 and 20 respectively.

They say their business has been hit by 60% as tourists refuse to be fleeced.

The local chief Sorayuth Tanthian has requested a transfer citing stress.

While central government has promised to look into the matter ahead of further talks locally set for Monday.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-25

4 hours ago, rooster59 said:

They want a proportion of this ploughed back into the area.

Hang on! Am I wrong, but did I read in previous reports that these same people defended charging foreigners 10 times the entrance fee for Thais, saying that the money is to maintain the parks. Are they now saying that this money goes elsewhere?

1 hour ago, loong said:

Hang on! Am I wrong, but did I read in previous reports that these same people defended charging foreigners 10 times the entrance fee for Thais, saying that the money is to maintain the parks. Are they now saying that this money goes elsewhere?

500m baht make a nice big pool to plunder. Very tempting!

1 hour ago, loong said:

It's the same as the UK tax system. All taxation from all sources goes into a big black hole from whence it is used for all sorts of projects.

7 hours ago, Muhendis said:

It's the same as the UK tax system. All taxation from all sources goes into a big black hole from whence it is used for all sorts of projects.

Like aid and assistance to asylum seekers,and filling the beaurocrats coffers in Brussels :clap2:

then the people said enough is enough :thumbsup:

they daren,t do that here :sad:

So by their own admission, the increase in park fee did not go into the development of the national parks as they park's officials have stated.  So, where does it go?

The boat owners have a point.  The increased fees are for lining pockets. There are no reasons for the fees not to be dropped by 50% other than some government official will pocket less money annually. 

Why not double the existing (10 times fees) for foreigners and then there would hardly be any foreign visitors at all.  As Thais do not seem to care much for the environment, the National parks could then be left to Nature, (a path Pattaya apparently wants to follow, according to its police Chief). and there would be minimal costs involved. Problem solved!  :smile:

Co-incidentally at the same time they increased the fees they also increased the parks people actually on all the islands (it is the islands and beaches that are part of the national park) and on Phi Phi in particular they actually had a government official overseeing the collection and ensuring receipts were issued. So it is no surprise the amount collected was increased. But i know from experience that when the tour operators are selling trips that the tourist are reluctant to pay the fee's which sometimes is only 100 baht less than the trip.

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

500 million baht is from just the one national park. If I remembered my algebra I could figure out how many farang visited.

It includes Phi Phi, so probably the biggest cash generator of them all.

The revenue did not go up from 100m when the rates were raised, it went up when all the park wardens were replaced.

Oh, it would mean 1,250,000 adults or 3,500 daily fines fees.

2 hours ago, Muhendis said:

It's to pay for the prisons to house Jonny foreigner from Eastern Europe & certain nationals Internet brides free council houses & support 

& hopefully not the recent Phuket theif plane ticket home ! ?

2 hours ago, Muhendis said:

1 hour ago, connda said:

So by their own admission, the increase in park fee did not go into the development of the national parks as they park's officials have stated.  So, where does it go?

The boat owners have a point.  The increased fees are for lining pockets. There are no reasons for the fees not to be dropped by 50% other than some government official will pocket less money annually. 

It certainly does go on cleaning up the rubbish ! 

http://m.phuketgazette.net/phuket-lifestyle/Keep-Green-Small-initiatives-clean-the-environment/66291

10 hours ago, PatOngo said:

They say their business has been hit by 60% as tourists refuse to be fleeced.

Well if that doesn't work, try fleecing Thai's!

Course not, silly. You just fleece the remaining 40% even more. Put the prices up, look how well it's working all over.

Archived