Motor Bike Licence

GeorgeV

Friend going to Chiang Mai on OA Visa initially for a few months sussing out retirement options and wants to hire a scooter (he has been warned …. I told him to hire a small car!!).  Anyway he hasn’t ridden a motorcycle for about 10 years (Licence expired)

The cost of renewing licence in Oz is about $600 with necessary refresher courses and up to two days of mandatory instruction ( then go to Transport Department for licence $80 … then get international licence $40).  

I see Chiang Mai Buddy will accompany you to do the whole lot (they reckon about 4-6hrs) to obtain full licence in Chiang Mai for about $100 … says he’s quite confident and riding for 20+ years before letting the licence expire.

Anyone see any problem with getting a new licence in Chiang Mai ?

It's quite easy to get a bike licence here....even if you have to start from scratch.

But I'd be surprised to get it all done in 4 to 6 hours. Maybe over 2 days would be better. But you never know what deals cm buddy have organised.

On ‎2‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:51 AM, CMKiwi said:

It's quite easy to get a bike licence here....even if you have to start from scratch.

But I'd be surprised to get it all done in 4 to 6 hours. Maybe over 2 days would be better. But you never know what deals cm buddy have organised.

Thanks for that ... up to him now

I had to take a practical (road test) for Motorcycles because I don't actually have a Motorcycle endorsement from my country (no IPD then)  where it would cost a bunch of money and currently takes months waiting for a road test. It is easy to do in Chiang Mai, but time consuming.  Residence certificate  (US Consul General for me, $$)  a medical appointment for medical certificate (anywhere), renting a motorbike (to ride down there illegally). Waiting for hours. The road test at the land transport office track is a doddle. The hardest part is the computer test. I had to take it 3 times. I am glad there is an English version, but it is incomprehensible and some answers are contradictory. One basically has to memorize the answers. There is a site online with all the questions. You can only sit for the exam 2 times a day so I had to come back to the office after the weekend.

I agree the multiple choice questions/answers are mind boggling to say the least.  Some very weird answers and you may have the same question more than once but with different answers.

They also seem to have an affection with tanks being allowed to drive on public roads..... not a normal day occurrence one would think!  But it is an answer (in part) to several of the questions.

On ‎5‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:17 PM, CMKiwi said:

I agree the multiple choice questions/answers are mind boggling to say the least.  Some very weird answers and you may have the same question more than once but with different answers.

They also seem to have an affection with tanks being allowed to drive on public roads..... not a normal day occurrence one would think!  But it is an answer (in part) to several of the questions.

Sounds like a grand day out ... thanks all