Report of applying SETV in HCMC

I just returned from my visa trip to HCMC. Not at all a smooth process this time. I've applied there before with my previous passport that had a lot more stamps and visas from Thailand and had no problems nor questioning. I was very close to being rejected this time even though it was only my second consecutive SETV (previous from Vientiane). In my passport I of course have a lot of in and out travel from Thailand and some SETV's. I know that Vientiane and HCMC are the only two places left were you can generally apply for a SETV without hassle so I didn't expect problems. After this experience I would drop HCMC off the list leaving Vientiane the only option left (of course also Savannakhet might still be OK).

I've been to the Thai Consulate in HSMC once before and applying for a SETV was easy and smooth as many other reports suggest. Maybe things have tightened up there too then because this time it wasn't so nice and friendly anymore. They looked at my passport long and then told me that I have too many visas and it/out travel to Thailand. After a long interrogation they said that they can accept it this time but in the future I would have to have even more proof such as letter from guarantor in Thailand. 

After the 5 min questioning (which felt a bit like at the immigration office) and all the paperwork, which I had luckily prepared extra well, I got the receipt to pick up my visa the next afternoon at 1.30pm. I was also expecting it to be free but I guess most EU countries are not included in that extended period of free SETV, so it was 40USD. 

What was require besides the basics documents:

- Flights to Thailand and out of Thailand

- Bank statement (copy of screen shot of my BBL account balance)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

I was also expecting it to be free but I guess most EU countries are not included in that extended period of free SETV, so it was 40USD. 

Some of the news that came out was wrong about the free visa. It is only free for those from countries that qualify for a 15 day visa on arrival.

3 hours ago, ChomDo said:

After this experience I would drop HCMC off the list leaving Vientiane the only option left

Hong Kong and Yangon are still good. Of course, Hong Kong ends up a bit more expensive, but it is an interesting place to visit.

Well you should know and everyone else should know that Yangon is now probably the most hassle free place in the region to get an SETV currently. I have gotten 2 there in the last year without any hassle. And my passport is full of SETV's, ED visa, O visas, etc.
No long lines, courteous helpful staff, next day service, and only ticket INTO Thailand required - no bank info needed at all. Although since they are now charging again you need to have 2 crisp new US $20 bills.

Is it true that the hotels are really expensive in Yangon?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, juice777 said:

Is it true that the hotels are really expensive in Yangon?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This is one area where Yangon has really improved. There are much more reasonably priced options than in the past, though you should not expect Khao San Road prices. Check out Agoda or Booking.com to get a feel.

Thanks for the update. I had such a good experience in HCMC last year.

I also enjoyed my trip to Vietnam so much I mad a second trip there.

HCMC would be my go to SETV spot but probably not so anymore.

8 hours ago, Ulic said:

Thanks for the update. I had such a good experience in HCMC last year.

I also enjoyed my trip to Vietnam so much I mad a second trip there.

HCMC would be my go to SETV spot but probably not so anymore.

I had a great experience there a few years ago too and I like the city so it's always nice to spend a few days in HCMC. Depends a lot on what kind of stamps you have in your passport I guess. I mean I been in Thailand for 10 years with all kinds of different visas but still this was only my second consecutive SETV so I was very surprised that there was a problem.

And as far as other consulates go I've never thought of Yangon. Thanks for the hint, maybe I'll go there in the future. Surprised someone mentioned Hong Kong because it used to be one of the difficult consulates.

Edited by ChomDo