Departure Tax

Fielder

In the old airport, one paid the departure tax before going through immigration. Starting in March 2007, the tax will increase to 700 Tb and be included in the ticket price. Does this mean the tax will now be checked at checkin, or still at immigration.

I will be in BKK in March and the tax was not added to my ticket. Therefore I will have to pay the tax at the airport. I don't want to get to checkin counter only to find I need to pay the tax before they can check me in. Can anyone shed any light as to the location of the booths which sell the tax?

Having experienced Thai double indemnities before, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a mix-up - particularly if the tax is added on to the ticket purchase price. The tax requirement at the airport will probably stay required - at least initially - causing passengers hassles when protesting "I already paid this when I bought my ticket!" At the same time, they'll feel pinched for time because they have a plane to catch. Concurrently, uniformed officers will insist that everyone must pay the tax before going through the doors - so passengers will grumble under their breath, pay the double indemnity - just to be on their way.

I don't think there will be any more departure tax booths at the airport come Feb. 1. This, from the Singapore Air site, explains the situation well.

(Effective 01 November 2006 For Travel Commencing 01 February 2007 Onwards)

1. Currently, Airport Taxes (Passenger Service Charge or PSC) ex Thailand are collected by the airport authorities at the airport departure area. Effective 01 November 2006, PSCs will be collected at point-of-ticketing by the airlines/travel agents on behalf of Airports of Thailand. This is applicable for travel ex Thailand starting from 01 February 2007* onwards.

Note: *Passengers who travel ex Thailand before 01 February 2007 will continue to pay their PSCs at the airport departure area.;

2. The Airports of Thailand has raised the PSC from the current THB500 to THB700 per passenger for travel ex Thailand from 01 February 2007 onwards;

3. Passengers who are already issued tickets for travel ex Thailand from 01 February 2007 onwards will need to pay their THB700 PSC during check-in formalities at the airport. Alternatively, these passengers may also refer to Singapore Airlines or their ticketing agents before commencing travel;

4.The following passengers are exempted from PSC:

Infants (children under 2 years old),

Transit/Transfer passengers.

5. For more information, please contact your travel agent or call Singapore Airlines (Bangkok) at Tel:+66-2-353-6000

That might be an improvement over the current situation. If someone is transiting BKK, and wants to meet me for coffee, they of course must pass through passport control and customs to meet me non-airside. Currently, when they are ready to re-enter the sterile airside they must pay the B500 or they will not get past the young lady with the paper punch who guards the entry to the immigrations hall.

With the new procedure, it sounds like they will be able to meet me and not have to pay when they are ready to go catch their connecting flight.

Thanks for all the responses re paying the departure tax. The letter from SIA probably is the most current advice.

I rang Thai Airways in Australia and they had not been informed as to the procedure, but they thought one would probably pay at checkin as SIA will be doing.

That might be an improvement over the current situation. If someone is transiting BKK, and wants to meet me for coffee, they of course must pass through passport control and customs to meet me non-airside. Currently, when they are ready to re-enter the sterile airside they must pay the B500 or they will not get past the young lady with the paper punch who guards the entry to the immigrations hall.

With the new procedure, it sounds like they will be able to meet me and not have to pay when they are ready to go catch their connecting flight.

I don't see any reason for them not to allow that, as long as you got stamped out and stamped back in by immigration. I've done that sort of thing a few times at other airports around the world that have the departure tax included in the ticket without problems.

Though there is a definite downside. If you're buying two separate tickets...one to BKK and a separate ticket out of BKK, then you'll be charged extra for your ticket for the departure tax that normally you wouldn't have to pay for.

Just depends on your situation as to whether you see the change as positive or negative.

I don't think there will be any more departure tax booths at the airport come Feb. 1. This, from the Singapore Air site, explains the situation well.

1. Currently, Airport Taxes (Passenger Service Charge or PSC) ex Thailand are collected by the airport authorities at the airport departure area. Effective 01 November 2006, PSCs will be collected at point-of-ticketing by the airlines/travel agents on behalf of Airports of Thailand. This is applicable for travel ex Thailand starting from 01 February 2007* onwards.

Note: *Passengers who travel ex Thailand before 01 February 2007 will continue to pay their PSCs at the airport departure area.;

2. The Airports of Thailand has raised the PSC from the current THB500 to THB700 per passenger for travel ex Thailand from 01 February 2007 onwards;

3. Passengers who are already issued tickets for travel ex Thailand from 01 February 2007 onwards will need to pay their THB700 PSC during check-in formalities at the airport. Alternatively, these passengers may also refer to Singapore Airlines or their ticketing agents before commencing travel;

5. For more information, please contact your travel agent or call Singapore Airlines (Bangkok) at Tel:+66-2-353-6000

BUT WHAT IF YOU ARRIVE THE END OF JAN LIKE THE 24TH AND YOUR TICKET WAS ISSUED IN DECEMBER??

BUT WHAT ABOUT IF YOU BOUGHT YOUR TICKET ARRIVING END OF JANUARY (24TH) AND THE

TICKET WAS ISSUED IN DECEMBER ???

BUT WHAT IF YOU ARRIVE THE END OF JAN LIKE THE 24TH AND YOUR TICKET WAS ISSUED IN DECEMBER??

Nothing happens then. It's just the same as it's always been. You pay 500 Baht at the booth and get a ticket showing you paid the fee which is punched when you go through the gate to immigration. The tax shouldn't have been charged on your ticket so you should only be paying the tax one time.