UK government Brexit bill defeated again

webfact

17 hours ago, Grouse said:

Have you had a bad day?

I was joking of course

Yes, I do qualify

Good to hear, I was surprised when someone didn't get the joke and you defended the statement as if you had been serious.

Anyway, I have another idea, maybe the Remoaners should be renamed the "Academia Nuts", what do you think?

:giggle:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, pitrevie said:

Could you point me to the part that "predicted a total financial collapse ". I don't think even Osborne at his most extreme ever said that if we voted Brexit there would be a "a total financial collapse " 

You are nit picking nothing less. An apology from the BoE says just how wrong they were.

Osbourne isn't about to apologize any time soon, but the massive unemployment predicted hasn't happened and the rush of companies (Banks) to move hasn't either.

The only ones that seem to want to leave are the SNP, but that is really a separate issue.

Of course the Remain camp had three jokers in their pack:

EU Remain.png

16 hours ago, pitrevie said:

For someone who accuses me of not reading very well you don't seem to make a very good job of it either. If it was so important to have a referendum on the EU when the treaty was being amended via Lisbon or Maastricht then why is that not the case now? What we are about to see is the biggest change ever in the way we deal with the single biggest richest market on the planet. This dwarfs the changes proposed in the Lisbon or Maastricht treaties by several orders of magnitude and for some reason this requires no referendum. Now lets be clear we are leaving the EU that is quite clear the British people were asked whether they wanted out and they voted accordingly that was the simple question that was answered. However what hasn't been put to the British people is what they think of the deal that finally emerges. After all during the referendum most of the principal spokesman said that leaving the EU did not meaning leaving the single market that has now blown up in their faces. So again I am asking you and those who give the thumbs up to your posts, come clean, do you believe that the British people should be given a referendum on the final deal especially given the fuss so many of you made when the Rome Treaty was amended by Lisbon and Maastricht.

Just to correct your first point we did get a referendum in 1975 two years after joining the EEC and that resulted in over 2:1  majority in favour of remaining so Cameron's referendum was the second time.

Good point, and if I remember correctly it got Harold (pound in your pocket) Wilson back into office, but it was still the Common Market, or "economic community"  back then, not the monster that the EU has become.

The 2016 Referendum was held as a one-off IN or OUT vote, that was made perfectly clear. The Single Market only comes with free movement of people (not just goods and services), so you would have to be pretty dim not to realise it meant "OUT IS OUT" and the EU was never going to entertain cherry picking.

No, the vote has been cast, if the "Academia Nuts" didn't get their case across in the campaign then hard luck, you had your chance and a vastly bigger budget to boot.

Time to get on with the negotiations and stop bickering over "the poor EU citizens that moved to the UK", all 2.5m+ (or whatever) of them. It will be one of the first items on the agenda. Trade will be next.

Could all be over by midnight GMT, and Article 50 on Tuesday or Wednesday. I hope it's Wednesday, it would be a marvelous birthday present, one I have wished for for decades.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

On 3/12/2017 at 7:18 AM, pitrevie said:

Sorry I must have missed that prediction, who predicted a total financial collapse could you provide a link to that. I saw many predicting that things would be difficult and that the pound should come under pressure and drop which it has. Even the Chancellor has said that Brexit has blown a 122 billion pound hole in the public finances but unlike Osborne has decided he is in no hurry to balance the public finances. Farage even told us that if we thought 2016 was bad then 2017 was going to be a whole lot worse however I don't recall the B of E, Treasury, IMF etc ever predicting a "total financial collapse" so perhaps you could provide a link to that. 

Oh, and BTW who said Brexit has blown a 122m pound hole in the UK economy?

I don't seem to have seen that reported, please enlighten me. Was it Hammond or Osbourne, maybe Lord Darling?

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

german car exports 2015.png

No, the same as the UK one for predicted salesafter Brexit.

What this does show, as you might not have realised, is the amount of cars the UK buys from Germany. Second most important market for them.

So, do you think they want a deal or see their car exports take a big drop?

You really are a "Bill Murray".

A not really very funny quote from Billy Connolly, Tonto.

Well humor is subjective, and looking at your last couple of responses to me I think we have little in common in that or other areas.

6 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

You are nit picking nothing less. An apology from the BoE says just how wrong they were.

Osbourne isn't about to apologize any time soon, but the massive unemployment predicted hasn't happened and the rush of companies (Banks) to move hasn't either.

The only ones that seem to want to leave are the SNP, but that is really a separate issue.

EU Remain.png

No, just pointing out the exaggeration that the OP was trying to get away with.  Nobody not even Osborne in his wildest moments ever said there would be a total financial collapse.

6 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Good point, and if I remember correctly it got Harold (pound in your pocket) Wilson back into office, but it was still the Common Market, or "economic community"  back then, not the monster that the EU has become.

The 2016 Referendum was held as a one-off IN or OUT vote, that was made perfectly clear. The Single Market only comes with free movement of people (not just goods and services), so you would have to be pretty dim not to realise it meant "OUT IS OUT" and the EU was never going to entertain cherry picking.

No, the vote has been cast, if the "Academia Nuts" didn't get their case across in the campaign then hard luck, you had your chance and a vastly bigger budget to boot.

Time to get on with the negotiations and stop bickering over "the poor EU citizens that moved to the UK", all 2.5m+ (or whatever) of them. It will be one of the first items on the agenda. Trade will be next.

Could all be over by midnight GMT, and Article 50 on Tuesday or Wednesday. I hope it's Wednesday, it would be a marvelous birthday present, one I have wished for for decades.

I think you need to go back and read the statements by many of the principal Brexiters who stated that leaving the EU did not mean leaving the single market. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-eu-referendum-single-market-brexit-a7104846.html I get your point about being quite dim. 

However I do note that you think the British people now should have no say in any final deal via a referendum. 

3 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

What this does show, as you might not have realised, is the amount of cars the UK buys from Germany. Second most important market for them.

Normally someone making a request will politely show some manners when receiving said information rather than petulant personalisation which appears to have been the intention from the start here. Disappointing.

Edited by SheungWan

8 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

To put those two graphs into perspective, the UK exports about £14bn of vehicles to the whole of the EU. Germany alone exports about £20bn of vehicles to the UK.

15 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

To put those two graphs into perspective, the UK exports about £14bn of vehicles to the whole of the EU. Germany alone exports about £20bn of vehicles to the UK.

In the course of 8 months we have gone from the UK will get a good deal , the EU needs the UK to a no deal is better than a bad deal. Even N.Lawson saying a bad is probable.

Negotiations havent started 

Also in the 8 months there have been certain people, politicians and Lords who have constantly tried to sabotage the UK in the negotiations before they have even started and quite frankly have behaved abysmally. If traitors gate was still used there would be quite a few heads on spikes.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

24 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

But the UK doesn't really now have a motor industry...But the UK Rolls Royce does supply very expensive engines to plane makers...Am sure you will tell me what cash is involved compared to Germany..

14 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Also in the 8 months there have been certain people, politicians and Lords who have constantly tried to sabotage the UK in the negotiations before they have even started and quite frankly have behaved abysmally. If traitors gate was still used there would be quite a few heads on spikes.

Can you please add to that list, a couple of the remoaners on this thread. 

15 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:
On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 8:02 AM, pitrevie said:

Could you point me to the part that "predicted a total financial collapse ". I don't think even Osborne at his most extreme ever said that if we voted Brexit there would be a "a total financial collapse " 

It's easy to work out who wants honest debate as opposed to those who just want to play debating games in order to 'win'.

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

It's easy to work out who wants honest debate as opposed to those who just want to play debating games in order to 'win'.

Really so let me know when you give a straightforward answer to a straightforward question. Thus far you and others think all you have to do is grossly exaggerate some statement and you can get away with it. Then when asked to justify what you said with actual evidence, like Trump you produce nothing.

3 hours ago, Khun Han said:

It's like to stating "You're saying something akin to the earth is flat, of the moon is made of cheese." And then they reply with "Please quote where I've said that the moon is made of cheese or the earth is flat." And then they keep on repeating it as though they are rubbing your nose in it :laugh:, completely oblivious to the fact that everybody else saw the nuance in what was written.

33 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Well.....the tough negotiations with the EU are still to come.....

Indeed; but this topic is about the Bill authorising the government to trigger Article 50; not the negotiations.

That bill has been passed, without amendment.

There are other threads about the negotiations.

Surely it is better to keep discussion of those all in one place rather than spread over several different threads?

44 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Indeed; but this topic is about the Bill authorising the government to trigger Article 50; not the negotiations.

That bill has been passed, without amendment.

There are other threads about the negotiations.

Surely it is better to keep discussion of those all in one place rather than spread over several different threads?

Fair point :thumbsup:.