Minix Neo U9 / A3 Air Mouse

SooKee

Seen a couple of interesting reviews of this on YouTube. Was tempted to give an NVidia Shield a whirl but seeing as I'm still not 100% sure I'll ditch the Apple TVs for Android I thought I'd have a play with one of these. If I go the Shield route I'll likely wait until Black Friday and get it sent over. Not in any rush.

I'm guessing there'll be some teething problems given the U1 has had about 11 firmware updates since it's release (IIRC) but I'm happy to give it a spin.

Mindful of the fact that it won't do Netflix in HD but no big deal as my subscription is on hold until there's more on Netflix I'm keen to see, plus I have the Apple TVs for that (not ready to drop down to a one box solution per room just yet - at least until I find one that does everything I need) but I will be interested to see if the Amazon app will work, pending Amazon sorting out the (pretty dismal) app support for their so-called Prime Video (international) service (especially where their own hardware is concerned!!!!!).

Interested to try out the experience of Plex on it also, together with the full range of apps from the full Google Play Store (without the side loading needed with the Fire TV if not using the Amazon App store) and without the lack of variety in the Android TV store.

Pretty keen to see how the Minix A3 Air Mouse performs too, compared to the Apple TV remote and the Fire TV remote (which also has a good reputation).

First time I saw the U9 offered on Lazada with the A3 was yesterday so bit of a premium price at 5,790 I guess but still not TOO bad a price.

Sent using Tapatalk

The Minix U9-H has a Amlogic S912 processor, so far I'm not aware of single device with that processor that doesn't has lots of issues, and there are plenty of devices.

Other than that, my first box I bought several years ago was a Minix X8 - H plus, and it was also the last Minix box I will ever own for the reasons that you mention above.

Some will say it's good they issue firmware updates, I say if it isn't broken it doesn't need a fix.

The Minix A2 lite air mouse in contrary is the best remote on the market, so I guess the A3 will be similar.

Edited by Allstars

Yeah I'm just giving it a spin really. That said I've heard far more glowing reviews about Minix than bad. But, we'll see.

I'm aware of the Amlogic 912 issues and the fact that Minix have deliberately held off until now before releasing a box with it.

It's not a problem for me though as a friend of mine is an Android / Minix die-hard and has several. He plans to upgrade to the U9 this year but is in no rush and is happy to take this one off me at cost if it doesn't live up to expectations. I've already said I'm happy to chop 1,000 off the purchase price or undercut the current Lazada price by 500 (whichever is better for the buyer) so he's happy to wait.

Sent using Tapatalk

Here's a decent review of the U9 :-

http://www.cnx-software.com/2017/02/24/review-of-minix-neo-u9-h-media-hub-a3-air-mouse-part-1-specs-unboxing-and-teardown/

I hvae had the Miniix X8-h for some time - and recently got a Minix U1... and I would definitely recommend Minix for android TV boxes.

Note - when I first got the X8-h the ethernet connection was actually slower than the wi-fi... amongst other issues - BUT and this is a huge but in the Android box world, they do SUPPORT their boxes. The problems were fixed and it was quickly a very good box indeed - sadly Plex don't do an equally good job with their updates....

The U1 is very good, and supports hevc h265 - and recently got a new firmware update also.

From the U9 review you can see that right NOW it may not be much better ( or even a little worse) in terms of video playback quality - this is due to the S9122 amlogic mentioned... and is why the U9 has been delayed so long... and much longer than other brands who just threw out a s912 box anyway and let their customers suffer... I'd be confident that in 6 months time after some updates it will reach its potential.

There's a shop in Fortune Town that stocks the TV boxes, Minix among them - got my U1 there and they shoudl have the U9 soon or now?

Plex could be marvellous - but they don't properly support external players in their own client apps, which leads to codec issues, subtitle issues etc etc none of which are due to my Minix box which can happily play them... an older Plex 3rd party client called 'Serenity' ( which hasn't been updated for a year? or longer? ) does a BETTER job of actually playing the video - which is or should be the primary focus... Serenity can use MX player as the external player ( just add the ac3/dts codec to MX player, free) and it then happily plays EVERY codec i've got and with their srt subtitles, no issues at all.

There is also an official 'Plex for Kodi' addon for Kodi v17 which is again better than the usual Plex Android client @sigh@

I'm close to ditching Plex to be honest - as I can use my NAS Synology Video Station server and its android app which again plays using MX player - thus fault free.... ( and note the Minix does not require NY transcoding form the server)

26 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Yeah I'm just giving it a spin really. That said I've heard far more glowing reviews about Minix than bad.

My first pet peeve with Minix is that you can buy Android boxes of renowned brands  with the exact same specs and performance at half the price. And they also get the required OTA firmware updates.

My major issue however is that a X8 H -plus will be a doorstop when the Kodi third party addon devs stop supporting Kodi 16.1, which will happen inevitably at some point in the near future, since Minix doesn't upgrade the firmware to Android 5.0.

If I had bought a M8S, or whatever other third of the price device, I would have a custom firmware available for download already. But for the Minix, so far no custom ROM available yet.

Third issue is that technology in this kind of devices changes at such a fast pace that the most sophisticated box on the  market today will be old news, and probably redundant like a Minix X8 H plus with Android 4.4 is today, in less than 2 years.

I rather have a 3000 Baht paperweight than a 6000 Baht one.

5 minutes ago, coops said:

From the U9 review you can see that right NOW it may not be much better ( or even a little worse) in terms of video playback quality - this is due to the S9122 amlogic mentioned... and is why the U9 has been delayed so long... and much longer than other brands who just threw out a s912 box anyway and let their customers suffer.

As a seller of these boxes I can testify that ALL renowned brands that released a S912 box have NOT let their customers suffer.

Instead all of them have had firmware dates at an average of 1 update every 3 weeks since release, yet have not been able to solve all the issues.

Why you think Minix will be better at that?

The S912 is a disaster if you want to use Kodi at least, no other words for that, and you can have a look at the comments regarding the U9 that are on the Minix forum already.

Here's a decent review of the U9 :-

http://www.cnx-software.com/2017/02/24/review-of-minix-neo-u9-h-media-hub-a3-air-mouse-part-1-specs-unboxing-and-teardown/

I hvae had the Miniix X8-h for some time - and recently got a Minix U1... and I would definitely recommend Minix for android TV boxes.

Note - when I first got the X8-h the ethernet connection was actually slower than the wi-fi... amongst other issues - BUT and this is a huge but in the Android box world, they do SUPPORT their boxes. The problems were fixed and it was quickly a very good box indeed - sadly Plex don't do an equally good job with their updates....

The U1 is very good, and supports hevc h265 - and recently got a new firmware update also.

From the U9 review you can see that right NOW it may not be much better ( or even a little worse) in terms of video playback quality - this is due to the S9122 amlogic mentioned... and is why the U9 has been delayed so long... and much longer than other brands who just threw out a s912 box anyway and let their customers suffer... I'd be confident that in 6 months time after some updates it will reach its potential.

There's a shop in Fortune Town that stocks the TV boxes, Minix among them - got my U1 there and they shoudl have the U9 soon or now?

Plex could be marvellous - but they don't properly support external players in their own client apps, which leads to codec issues, subtitle issues etc etc none of which are due to my Minix box which can happily play them... an older Plex 3rd party client called 'Serenity' ( which hasn't been updated for a year? or longer? ) does a BETTER job of actually playing the video - which is or should be the primary focus... Serenity can use MX player as the external player ( just add the ac3/dts codec to MX player, free) and it then happily plays EVERY codec i've got and with their srt subtitles, no issues at all.

There is also an official 'Plex for Kodi' addon for Kodi v17 which is again better than the usual Plex Android client @sigh@

I'm close to ditching Plex to be honest - as I can use my NAS Synology Video Station server and its android app which again plays using MX player - thus fault free.... ( and note the Minix does not require NY transcoding form the server)

I use ES Explorer with MX and it plays everything from my NAS. I binned Plex after a fews mins - pointless app.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

I won't derail this my going into my long standing love / (but mostly) hate relationship with Plex but it's really relegated to an also ran option. I only ever got into it for the remote access which worked about 5% of the time. There was always some issue with it. Despite doing all the things mentioned on the hundreds of support threads, most of which the developers don't even respond to. Doesn't matter if you subscribe to the Plex Pass either (the paid for version that offers pretty much sweet FA of any use over the free version). The current problems with the Apple TV app for me (and others) is constant buffering, despite being connected by Ethernet. PITA to be honest. I think they're too much focused on gimmicks and the next great thing for Plex instead of stabilising what they have already or fixing problems, some of which persist for months. I've all but binned it entirely TBH in favour of Infuse on the ATV. I'll see if it's any better on Android. I won't hold my breath.

I was thinking of just going for the U1 as tried and tested but I'm not that reliant on this being perfect straight out the box. At times I just enjoy tinkering and see what I can get out of something, and as had been said already, I'm sure it'll improve.

I did notice the grief Minix were getting fit not updating the 8 to Android 5 which had understandably annoyed a lot of their customer base. It'll be interesting to see if the trend spills over to the U1 / U9. If it does I can see their fanbase finishing diminishing rapidly.

Sent using Tapatalk

SooKee - you sound like a kindred Plex spirit... what could be so good... yet turns out to be a never ending unstable run-around...

If you're running off a NAS, Emby might be worth a look - and if Synology, then the Synology video station server plays to a Minix or android box and use MX player with no problems at all... except for... wait for it... the Synology Android app has a built in limit (why? why?) of 100 series and i think it's 1000 movies, any more it won't display them all... oh, the humanity. I put in a bug ticket about it and got a reply that they know  and they 'may' fix it... but not definite... what the......?

Edited by coops

12 hours ago, Allstars said:

My first pet peeve with Minix is that you can buy Android boxes of renowned brands  with the exact same specs and performance at half the price.

I've got an older Minix Kitkat box that could become a doorstop as you say with Kodi17 addons in future. What brand/model due you suggest as a good buy next please?

SooKee - you sound like a kindred Plex spirit... what could be so good... yet turns out to be a never ending unstable run-around...

If you're running off a NAS, Emby might be worth a look - and if Synology, then the Synology video station server plays to a Minix or android box and use MX player with no problems at all... except for... wait for it... the Synology Android app has a built in limit (why? why?) of 100 series and i think it's 1000 movies, any more it won't display them all... oh, the humanity. I put in a bug ticket about it and got a reply that they know  and they 'may' fix it... but not definite... what the......?

Absolutely!! I run my Plex Media Server from an Ethernet connected Mac Mini. Always problems with Plex. In addition to the remote access (which I've now binned in favour of just Netflix and iFlix when traveling) I also preferred the UI over the ENDLESS scrolling in iTunes Home Sharing. At first I was blown away with Plex, even taking out the life long Plex Pass. Then the problems started. And for your $150 you get what support? None above what anyone else gets. And that is VERY sporadic to the extent of them seeming to adopt an ostrich approach to some of the problems. Like I say. The Apple TV Plex (cr)app now gas countless problems with buffering, "Your network is too slow" messages (with all connected by Ethernet!!!) and lip sync. It's just way too high maintenance.

I use Infuse now which has a UI nearly as good as Plex but it works!! It also offers wi-fi sync of content to iOS devices for the annual payment of about $10 or the lifetime (of the app) $15. I prefer the annual model as whatever new versions come out you continue to get them. The Sync service with Plex is useful but for me was the only benefit to the $5 pm Plex Pass or $150 for the lifetime. I was distinctly unimpressed and was lucky enough to get a refund. I won't be buying into the Plexiverse again that's for sure!!!!

If I end up sticking with Android and going for a one box solution it'd be the Nvidia Shield but at the price for those I'd need to be ABSOLUTELY 100% sure it does EVERYTHING I want it to not just most or some. My concern with the Shield at the moment is the Amazon Video app where some can access the international Prime Video content (but only if they turn off location services and switch the language to English) where others can't. This is down to Amazon's poorly implemented venture into the international video streaming market and their dismally lacking app / device support (and of course there endless spat with Apple / Google). Up to them if they want to run restrictive practices to push only their own devices but when there own services don't even run on those devices there's a SERIOUS problem somewhere. And sorry Amazon, I want to watch services on devices of MY choosing, not yours with all the inherent 'in yer face' Amazon UI and the need to mess about with side loading apps if you want anything outside the Amazon app store. The last issue is also a problem with Nvidia and the Android TV app store of course.

Posted using Tapatalk

Well, it's just arrived so now it's 'new toys' time.  I should save things like this for Xmas day.  Like being a kid again, girls are OK but you can't beat toys 5555.  Will update in due course.

Just by way of a short 'initial findings' update, first impressions very positive and I've got ALL the services I need working without problem which are:

iFlix (great to FINALLY be able to watch it without needing another device open to Airplay it to the TV)

Amazon Prime Video (ditto above - finally a device their international service works on!!!)

Plex (yes even that works)

You Tube

Netflix 

Browser

AirPIN Pro (sling iOS device content to the TV)

Three of those (iFlix, Amazon and browser) were FAIL on the Apple TV so it's nice to be able to just just use one device and one box for those and not to have to use an iOS device or laptop as an intermediary

The A3 remote is a real joy to use (especially with the iFlix and Amazon apps) and much more useful IMO than the Apple TV's touch remote (which is still nice).  Build quality is good and nice that they include HDMI, OTG and Micro USB cables.  Not bothered unwrapping the IR remote (or any of the cables) as I doubt I'll ever use it, having the A3.  Good having Android 6.0 also to be use SD card storage etc.

Sound quality so far is good through the sound-bar and picture quality excellent.  Good performance over wifi and ethernet and the OTA updates (there were 2-3 I needed) went well and very fast.  It does say the Kodi install is the XBMC Minix addition but the factory reset (I tend to do a reset just in case the seller has added any crap-ware) default install is Kodi 17.  I'll get around a to looking at Kodi in due course as I've not been much of a user of it up to now.  When I do I'll probably try Kodi Krypton, SPMC and XBMC Minix.Quite impressed with the Minix Metro UI although I might switch to either the Lollipop, Kit Kat or Nova Launcher's in time.

Much, much more useful to me as a device than the Fire TV (that Amazon can't even enable to run their own services internationally) and without the Amazon UI and side-loading hurdles to contend with.  So easy to set up and use.  Yup, I'm impressed.

Of course Netflix is not HD but the TVs we use are only 40 inch so I'm not sure we'll miss it that much, plus i might switch to Nvidia in time after I've given this a good run for the money to see how I get on with it.

Just by way of a short 'initial findings' update, first impressions very positive and I've got ALL the services I need working without problem which are:

iFlix (great to FINALLY be able to watch it without needing another device open to Airplay it to the TV)
Amazon Prime Video (ditto above - finally a device their international service works on!!!)
Plex (yes even that works)
You Tube
Netflix 
Browser
AirPIN Pro (sling iOS device content to the TV)

Three of those (iFlix, Amazon and browser) were FAIL on the Apple TV so it's nice to be able to just just use one device and one box for those and not to have to use an iOS device or laptop as an intermediary

The A3 remote is a real joy to use (especially with the iFlix and Amazon apps) and much more useful IMO than the Apple TV's touch remote (which is still nice).  Build quality is good and nice that they include HDMI, OTG and Micro USB cables.  Not bothered unwrapping the IR remote (or any of the cables) as I doubt I'll ever use it, having the A3.  Good having Android 6.0 also to be use SD card storage etc.

Sound quality so far is good through the sound-bar and picture quality excellent.  Good performance over wifi and ethernet and the OTA updates (there were 2-3 I needed) went well and very fast.  It does say the Kodi install is the XBMC Minix addition but the factory reset (I tend to do a reset just in case the seller has added any crap-ware) default install is Kodi 17.  I'll get around a to looking at Kodi in due course as I've not been much of a user of it up to now.  When I do I'll probably try Kodi Krypton, SPMC and XBMC Minix.Quite impressed with the Minix Metro UI although I might switch to either the Lollipop, Kit Kat or Nova Launcher's in time.

Much, much more useful to me as a device than the Fire TV (that Amazon can't even enable to run their own services internationally) and without the Amazon UI and side-loading hurdles to contend with.  So easy to set up and use.  Yup, I'm impressed.

Of course Netflix is not HD but the TVs we use are only 40 inch so I'm not sure we'll miss it that much, plus i might switch to Nvidia in time after I've given this a good run for the money to see how I get on with it.

The Minix remote is excellent. I use it with my Fire TV.

Looking forward to more updates on the new box in due course.

On 09/03/2017 at 9:44 PM, JaseTheBass said:

The Minix remote is excellent. I use it with my Fire TV.

Looking forward to more updates on the new box in due course.

Funnily enough I took out the Fire TV again today, just to see if I could get some of what I need working on it for the spare room.  Now,  I am a bit biased with the Fire as I was WELL pi55ed off to find that it won't play Prime Video content in overseas countries but I thought I'd persevere a bit more with the other stuff, primarily iFlix,  given that is does have Netflix HD and Plex (just not Prime Video, iFlix or even native YouTube HD - quite a fail rate really!!!!).  Each time I do though I find myself battling with the bloody Amazon UI that seems to get in the way of EVERYTHING SINGLE THING you want to do and the Amazon (cr)app store.  The Fire TV must be the only device where it's easier to search for apps and install them via a laptop browser, sending them to the Fire, through the Amazon App store than from the device itself, unless it's one of the featured apps or in one of the 15 or so (very vaguely gathered) categories that you have to plough through, hoping it'll be there. 

Want to see all your apps, pan along the 'Your Apps' row to the 'View More / All', add an app as a favourite - can't, want to search the app store can't (unless you want to rely on the voice search), that's if any of the apps that you want are there at all!!!  As for using a browser on the damn thing, forget it.  Awful.  I tried Chrome and couldn't even to get it to work and with Firefox found myself going round in circles trying to get out of a site with a text box that kept coming up.  Using the Fire TV remote app was also useless.  It's a pure media streamer, nothing more.  Had to go to the home screen and force quit (after which Firefox got deleted), nothing else worked to get out of it.  The remote for me sucks, no better than that with the AIS Playbox.  OK for going up, down, left, right I suppose, I guess it's the same with most Android boxes.  I miss the volume controls from the A3 too, and the other useful buttons like the 'All Installed Apps' and 'All open apps'.  Sure I could buy an A3 and use it with the Fire but why buy it only to have some functions not working (like on/off) AND have to go to war with the assault course that is the Amazon UI every single bloody time.  Would the keyboard even work??

Absolutely every single thing I tried to do with it was a problem.  I did then have ONE more go at trying to get the iFlix apk on it (but I'd sure as hell given up trying anything from within the device or trying to get a browser that even works, let alone one that works with the Amazon remote some folks seem to rave about - maybe the remotes they have are SERIOUSLY crap, I can't think of any other reason for lauding praise on the Fire Remote, aside maybe from the build quality).  I got the apk on the device via USB and launched it.  Managed to log in using the Fire TV app but then that was it. Dead end.  No further navigation OR, importantly, USE possible.  That's the rub I guess, noticeable at first with the browser issue, the Fire TV is an Android BASED device, not a straight up Android device so what would work fine, even with simple up / down, left /right presses on the Minix U9 didn't even move the highlight on the Fire TV.  So as  media box you REALLY need to be sure it will run the apps you expect it to which in my case it doesn't.

iFlix - NO

Amazon Prime Video - NO

Browsing - NO

YouTube HD - not native at least (kinda lost interest in researching  whether the hack app for YouTube on the Fire TV does the job or not)

I'm not even sure whether side-loaded apps like iFlix will update themselves, not a problem with the Minix and apps installed via the Google app store.  

The sheer amount have time I've invested in the Fire TV it would have been better value to just buy another box, anything BUT a Fire TV device.  I'm so impressed with the Minix U9 I'm thinking of just getting another for the spare room and get rid of the Fire TV (I was holding onto it just in case Amazon might update the firmware so it'll play Prime.  I can't think why anyone would want something so inflexible otherwise) and one of the Apple TVs.

Maybe I should have spent more time fathoming how folks get things done with these Fire TVs, I just couldn't be bothered.  Each time I get it out for one last try I hated it more and more. Today I nearly dealt with the temptation to fiddle by throwing the damn thing on the floor and jumping up and down on it.  Really the worst bit of tech I've ever bought!!  Sure I had a learning curve with the Minix but mostly it's been a breeze.  Open the app store, search, install.  Done,  Browser, no problem. And I didn't need to read 'How to defeat the Amazon Interface' Books 1-3 (soon to be a Netflix special).  I can see why they'd be great for some folks but for what I want, worst possible device!!  Useless piece of junk to me.

Funnily enough I took out the Fire TV again today, just to see if I could get some of what I need working on it for the spare room.  Now,  I am a bit biased with the Fire as I was WELL pi55ed off to find that it won't play Prime Video content in overseas countries but I thought I'd persevere a bit more with the other stuff, primarily iFlix,  given that is does have Netflix HD and Plex (just not Prime Video, iFlix or even native YouTube HD - quite a fail rate really!!!!).  Each time I do though I find myself battling with the bloody Amazon UI that seems to get in the way of EVERYTHING SINGLE THING you want to do and the Amazon (cr)app store.  The Fire TV must be the only device where it's easier to search for apps and install them via a laptop browser, sending them to the Fire, through the Amazon App store than from the device itself, unless it's one of the featured apps or in one of the 15 or so (very vaguely gathered) categories that you have to plough through, hoping it'll be there. 

Want to see all your apps, pan along the 'Your Apps' row to the 'View More / All', add an app as a favourite - can't, want to search the app store can't (unless you want to rely on the voice search), that's if any of the apps that you want are there at all!!!  As for using a browser on the damn thing, forget it.  Awful.  I tried Chrome and couldn't even to get it to work and with Firefox found myself going round in circles trying to get out of a site with a text box that kept coming up.  Using the Fire TV remote app was also useless.  It's a pure media streamer, nothing more.  Had to go to the home screen and force quit (after which Firefox got deleted), nothing else worked to get out of it.  The remote for me sucks, no better than that with the AIS Playbox.  OK for going up, down, left, right I suppose, I guess it's the same with most Android boxes.  I miss the volume controls from the A3 too, and the other useful buttons like the 'All Installed Apps' and 'All open apps'.  Sure I could buy an A3 and use it with the Fire but why buy it only to have some functions not working (like on/off) AND have to go to war with the assault course that is the Amazon UI every single bloody time.  Would the keyboard even work??

Absolutely every single thing I tried to do with it was a problem.  I did then have ONE more go at trying to get the iFlix apk on it (but I'd sure as hell given up trying anything from within the device or trying to get a browser that even works, let alone one that works with the Amazon remote some folks seem to rave about - maybe the remotes they have are SERIOUSLY crap, I can't think of any other reason for lauding praise on the Fire Remote, aside maybe from the build quality).  I got the apk on the device via USB and launched it.  Managed to log in using the Fire TV app but then that was it. Dead end.  No further navigation OR, importantly, USE possible.  That's the rub I guess, noticeable at first with the browser issue, the Fire TV is an Android BASED device, not a straight up Android device so what would work fine, even with simple up / down, left /right presses on the Minix U9 didn't even move the highlight on the Fire TV.  So as  media box you REALLY need to be sure it will run the apps you expect it to which in my case it doesn't.

iFlix - NO
Amazon Prime Video - NO
Browsing - NO
YouTube HD - not native at least (kinda lost interest in researching  whether the hack app for YouTube on the Fire TV does the job or not)

I'm not even sure whether side-loaded apps like iFlix will update themselves, not a problem with the Minix and apps installed via the Google app store.  

The sheer amount have time I've invested in the Fire TV it would have been better value to just buy another box, anything BUT a Fire TV device.  I'm so impressed with the Minix U9 I'm thinking of just getting another for the spare room and get rid of the Fire TV (I was holding onto it just in case Amazon might update the firmware so it'll play Prime.  I can't think why anyone would want something so inflexible otherwise) and one of the Apple TVs.

Maybe I should have spent more time fathoming how folks get things done with these Fire TVs, I just couldn't be bothered.  Each time I get it out for one last try I hated it more and more. Today I nearly dealt with the temptation to fiddle by throwing the damn thing on the floor and jumping up and down on it.  Really the worst bit of tech I've ever bought!!  Sure I had a learning curve with the Minix but mostly it's been a breeze.  Open the app store, search, install.  Done,  Browser, no problem. And I didn't need to read 'How to defeat the Amazon Interface' Books 1-3 (soon to be a Netflix special).  I can see why they'd be great for some folks but for what I want, worst possible device!!  Useless piece of junk to me.

Strange. I don't have any of the problems you seem to be having.

Chrome is fine. All my main apps (non Amazon) are listed first and are launched within a couple of down and across navigation clicks.

I have watched 2 series using my free trial Prime account (very limited choice admittedly).

The only thing I haven't set up is downloading torrents to my NAS. I currently use my Samsung tablet then bung them over to the NAS when done. Something to play with...

Well, some of the problems will apply to everyone regardless, given that they're design features:

Prime Video is not supported (no idea how you have it working, or you might have the 'shows you can watch while abroad' running - that is not Prime Video).  I also had it working for a while, until I updated the software and / or logged in on another device.  But either way - it is NOT a supported device for Prime Video.

1. The Amazon UI is the Amazon UI.  It's unavoidable.
  2. Many apps ( and most that I need) need to be side-loaded.  With a generic Android box they're on the Play Store.  I'm not sure if side-loaded APKs self-update or not.
  3. It runs using an Android fork so apps designed for Android (e.g. Google Play Store) may not function as intended, or at all.
  4. Amazon adopts an integrated app store approach, grouping by categories and apps it thinks you might like.  It is not easy to find apps by browsing the device, apps will often not appear under expected categories.  I find it's FAR easier to install from the app store on a laptop using 'send to' the device.
  5. Other than build quality the remote is no better, functionality wise, than any other bog standard remote STB, that it's bluetooth (IIRC) helps it some but it doesn't add to the functionality.
  6. Apps like I've managed to load like iFlix simply won't work using the Amazon remote.  At all.  

Anyway, my point is not to argue this, what suits some won't always suit others.  But the Fire doesn't hack it for me.  I COULD perhaps improve the functionality by adding an A2 Lite Airmouse.  Problem for me is, why bother.  One of the best features (and indeed reasons for the existence of the Fire) is Amazon Video.  So even if I got other devices to work, Prime still wouldn't, at least for now (but we're not sure Amazon even intend to update the firmware so it will). 

Anyways, I'm at a bit of a crossroads now so I need to be sure I'm not splurging on potentially redundant tech.  If I stick with Android and IF I'm sure it does everything I need I might buy a Shield in which case I don't want spare remotes kicking around that won't see any use (e.g. maybe if I DID by an A2 to pair with the Fire TV but which won't work with a Shield.  AFAIK THE A2 Lite does - still researching).  If anything at the moment I'd more likely buy another U9, or even a U1, with the A2/A3 remotes bundled in at discount prices rather than putting up with the Fire TV that CAN do Netflix in HD but CAN'T do Prime (at all!!!).  So why put up with the UI, the shortcomings and other issues?  Or, maybe buy a Shield for the living room and keep the U9 in the bedroom.  Choices, choices.  

One thing I have considered is the Logitech K400R keyboard.  But again, I'm against buying tech that sits in a drawer 98% of the time and I wonder how much I'd ever use it.  Sitting on the sofa or in bed I can see myself using an air mouse MUCH more than I'd reach for a keyboard.  I keep typing down to an ABSOLUTE bare minimum on these things, only when I REALLY have to.

Edited by SooKee

Forgot to add, at the moment I have an ATV 4 in the bedroom.  That does Netflix and YouTube and also plays local media via Plex or Infuse. I CAN also Airplay Prime and iFlix to it.  I could spend more (A2 remote) and battle with the Fire TV to replace the ATV but for what?  Still no Prime Video, iFlix MIGHT work (with the A2 remote, I'll try later with the A3 if I can be bothered to unbox the Fire AGAIN), just Netflix HD, which I already have. There's just no point in throwing good money after bad by buying an airmouse which, even if it helps with iFlix, won't actually make the Fire TV do what it exists for, playing Amazon content.

I might just keep it around, see what, if anything, Amazon does re the firmware / Prime video issue.  IF they update it so Prime WILL work I'll consider it again (the maintenance of side-loaded APKs still bothers me though vs apps loaded from the Google Play store that auto-update) unless in the meantime I've done a Black Friday deal on a Shield or indeed, just buy another Minix at half the price of the Shield but that only lacks Netflix HD.

Edited by SooKee

"Prime Video is not supported (no idea how you have it working, or you might have the 'shows you can watch while abroad' running - that is not Prime Video).  I also had it working for a while, until I updated the software and / or logged in on another device.  But either way - it is NOT a supported device for Prime Video."

Yes. It was the abroad shows.

I have a keyboard like the one you mentioned. Strangely, it's sitting in a drawer... [emoji16]

My Expat TV apps work perfectly on FireTV, but I think I would have to get a Shield if they didn't.

I am considering ditching Netflix as we rarely watch it now.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's what bothers me about buying a K400. I can see me buying it for all the great extra features then not using it because it's too awkward and clumsy.

Expat TV app I suspected would be fine. I'm still undecided whether to go for one of the paid IPTV services and, if I do, whether to use Thai Expat, Pulse or Flawless. I don't watch that much sport and have little interest in regular TV channels awash with 'talent' and reality shows and soaps. Again, one of those things I have to be careful I don't subscribe to just because I can.

All of the paid streaming services I tend to drop in and out of, except Iflix which is so cheap it's not worth it. I'd lapsed my Netflix membership over the last 4 months and just reactivated. I'll keep it going until I've burned through what I want to see. I did the best of them last time (Narcos, Marco Polo, Stranger Things etc). Actually tonight I was watching on the U9 in the living room and finished off watching on the ATV in the bedroom. That has Netflix HD. The U9 just 720 AFAIK. To be honest I hardly noticed the difference, and if I did, it wasn't a case of "no way can I watch this SD crap". As such, Netflix HD just got downgraded from a 'must have' to a 'nice to have' feature, especially given the periodic use. On that basis, given that's the only thing the Shield brings to the party over the U9 (zero interest in games), it seems to be a bit of a waste to shell out over double the price of the U9 to get one. Especially as Prime Video is ALSO proving to be patchy for some on that!!

I do have a Deezer account which is also nice to use on the U9 but I believe all three devices I've used / been pondering have that. Except for the ATV. Another mark down for the Apple TV. I see there's even news of an ATV 5 now. Yeah. Cheers Apple. With all the promises of the bright future of ATV and the lacklustre lack of development for the latest one, I sure as 5hit won't be buying into the next one!!!!!

Sent using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, SooKee said:

I'd lapsed my Netflix membership over the last 4 months and just reactivated. I'll keep it going until I've burned through what I want to see. I did the best of them last time (Narcos, Marco Polo, Stranger Things etc). Actually tonight I was watching on the U9 in the living room and finished off watching on the ATV in the bedroom. That has Netflix HD. The U9 just 720 AFAIK. To be honest I hardly noticed the difference, and if I did, it wasn't a case of "no way can I watch this SD crap". As such, Netflix HD just got downgraded from a 'must have' to a 'nice to have' feature, especially given the periodic use. On that basis, given that's the only thing the Shield brings to the party over the U9 (zero interest in games), it seems to be a bit of a waste to shell out over double the price of the U9 to get one. Especially as Prime Video is ALSO proving to be patchy for some on that!!

Why anyone would want to pay for Netflix Thailand goes totally over my head, because all content from Netflix World, and of all other networks like HBO - Cinemax - A&E and Universal Asia is available totally free in Kodi in HD and with subtitles in the langauage of your choice.

HD is 720P, while full HD is 1080P, and indeed you will have a hard time to see the difference unless you have a 100" tv.

I really have to laugh when people say they see a difference between 1080P and Ultra HD, which is neigh impossible unless you sit at the ideal position and really go look for the details.

Nobody watches a movie that way, and for a Ultra HD Netflix stream it is recommended that you have 25Mb constant downstream, so most don't even realise that their stream is automaticall y downgraded to Ful HD by Netflix.

Most of the time I use the paid services for ease of use, quality of the stream and Thai subtitles which even Netflix has started to add.  I also travel between here an Malaysia and having the content on tap on multiple devices without have to f around is a godsend. I much prefer consuming media to hunting around in Kodi, I use Kodi ONLY when I have to.  Select title, get taken to a list of streams (if your'e lucky), try the streams to find which are genuinely HD vs the crap.  If I have to worry about the 350 baht a month I pay to Netflix and the 1,000 per year to iFlix I'll be in deep 5hit. Of course, as ever YMMV.

23 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

"Prime Video is not supported (no idea how you have it working, or you might have the 'shows you can watch while abroad' running - that is not Prime Video).  I also had it working for a while, until I updated the software and / or logged in on another device.  But either way - it is NOT a supported device for Prime Video."

Yes. It was the abroad shows.

I have a keyboard like the one you mentioned. Strangely, it's sitting in a drawer... emoji16.png

My Expat TV apps work perfectly on FireTV, but I think I would have to get a Shield if they didn't.

I am considering ditching Netflix as we rarely watch it now.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

FWIW I actually dug out the Fire AGAIN to see how what I need would work with the Neo A3 Airmouse.  Result: much improved (not that that would be hard to achieve) BUT still far from a pleasant experience.  Problem is I think the OS difference with buttons on the airmouse not working at all at times or at least not as expected.  It worked better with apps from the Fire TV store or the pre-installed stuff, less well with my chosen side-loaded Android APKs, esp iFlix.  The Fire remote is worse than useless with that and the Air-mouse is also a pain, as a result of the way it interacts with the Fire.  Trying to fast forward or rewind was a pain with the FF/RW buttons not working, instead needing the D pad L/R which goes WAY to fast.  Alternatively, you can press the play / pause button and then try and quickly use the pointer before the scrubber bar fades.  Altogether a way to user-unfriendly experience.  Sure it would get me iFlix and Deezer in the bedroom (which is above Plex and Netflix I have with the ATV) BUT, thanks to Amazon (and disgracefully IMO) NO Amazon Prime!!!  

For the experience to be bearable for me I'd have to buy another Neo air-mouse which gets hamstrung with the Fire vs working perfectly with the Minix boxes, and that includes power on/off and volume controls.  So for now I'll stick with the Apple TV in the bedroom (which has the benefit of it's remote also being able to turn the TV on/off at the same time and control the volume) then, if I do decide I want iFlix and Deezer in the bedroom (unlikely) I'll buy another Minix which will ALSO play Prime Video, unlike the Fire TV.  Unless that is I buy a Shield and move the U9 to the bedroom.  Again, unlikely.

Petty Bickering removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

2 hours ago, SooKee said:

The Fire remote is worse than useless with that and the Air-mouse is also a pain, as a result of the way it interacts with the Fire.  Trying to fast forward or rewind was a pain with the FF/RW buttons not working

For others who have the same issue that the FF and RW buttons not working on the Minix air mouse, this can easily be fixed by adding a Keymap.

Interested people can let me know and I guide them how to fix it.

I got my U9-H on Tuesday and I am happy so far.  Kodi 17 is working OK but I haven't tested/tried everything.  It is replacing my X8-H that doesn't support HEVC and didn't have gigabit ethernet.  Since I upgraded I can play 10bit HEVC from my laptop with no stuttering/buffering so I'm happy with the improvements.  I think even on the Kodi forums views seemed to have softened on the, S912 will never work with Kodi, point of view.

14 hours ago, damole said:

I got my U9-H on Tuesday and I am happy so far.  Kodi 17 is working OK but I haven't tested/tried everything.  It is replacing my X8-H that doesn't support HEVC and didn't have gigabit ethernet.  Since I upgraded I can play 10bit HEVC from my laptop with no stuttering/buffering so I'm happy with the improvements.  I think even on the Kodi forums views seemed to have softened on the, S912 will never work with Kodi, point of view.

Minix are currently working on their Minix XBMC fork of Kodi 17 so it'll be interesting to see how that develops.  They're also looking at the SMB share functionality (I had a bit of a problem mapping an SMB share from a Mac Mini that the Up refused to even see but I'm not sure that that is not down to Apple's crap implementation of and support for SMB).  The other thing I'll be interested in is their re-work of the Minix Metro launcher.  I actually quite like it, and the style but there's too many redundant folder tiles for me that currently you can't rename or change the icons.  Plenty of other launchers out there that DO let you do that but none that I've really taken to so far, except for maybe Square Home 2.  Other than that I use Nova Launcher.  

The A3 remote is great and it's really convenient to have the power on / off switch and also the volume controls!!  The only thing I have contemplated though is the A2 Lite remote as that has an 'Enter' button and a 'Mute' instead of 'Settings' and 'Microphone'  I actually find the microphone interaction with Google a bit patchy but I rarely use it.  On that basis, IF I end up getting another box for the bedroom to replace the ATV 4 I might go for another U9 when they are more available without the remotes and buy an A2 or just buy a Minix U1 with bundled A2 Lite, which at 1,000 baht less will likely be fine for the bedroom.

Great device though IMO and aside from maybe the Shield I wouldn't bother with anything else.  I did contemplate trialling a Roku 4 but as with many things here in LOS it's availability. 

Edited by SooKee