What To Do Now...

hi everyone,

first time poster.

here is my situation... i just came back home to canada after almost 2 years living in thailand happily doing the monthly border run thang. i was living in bkk with my thai gf in her apartment.

back in october we (at my ignorance for the requirements of the entire visa app process!) applied at the canadian conulate for a 6 month visitor visa (which i realize now was unrealistic, perhaps 3-4 weeks for first visa app would have been more realistic) for my gf to come back with me for a visit in canada while i got a job. the visa app was refused and i lived out 2 more months in bkk.

so now i am back home not sure what my next move should/could be. i want to be back in the kingdom living life with my gf but with the new visa laws i am not unsure what to do.

i am lucky to be self-sufficient income wise and don't really need work to get by, especially living in thailand. but i have the chance to take a real job again making some real decent money. A real job however means basically succumbing to life back home without my thai gf and without much real time to get back to the kingdom for regular visits.

could we/should/we re-apply for a canadian visitor visa with a more realistic time-frame of 3-4 weeks for her first visit so she can come visit while i work? then hopefully we could apply for longer subsequent visits with me getting back to the kingdom when work allows? how much more difficult will a second app go knowing the first app was denied?

or would i stand a good chance of getting a non-immigrant O visa from the thai embassy here in canada for a multi-entry 1 year visa to get to bkk to just live as i was & not working

so sorry for the long post & probably very basic questions that have been posted before, but i have been reading for the past 2 days on thaivisa.com & i am still very unsure of what my next move should be.

i have also been thinking prehaps i should just chuck it all in take the job here in canada & forget the past 2 years i spent in thailand cutting my ties... crushing my gf's heart (i am pretty sure) & mine in process.

please any advice or suggestions will surely be appreciated!

thanx

Do not know what your law are up north, but here in the USA I have helped several friends get a fiancee visa. It was good for 90 days where you either had to marry or return to Thailand.

You need a marrage certificate to get a O visa, so that route will not work for you yet.

I have a girl in my wife's village that has been on medication for 10 years now, as she returned home to get ready to marry, and went to the train station to meet her man and he never came.....hit her pretty hard. They call her "the crazy lady". Her mother locks her up when we come home, as I am what she dreamed of. (a farang). (Has a cute British accent too).

Hate to see someone just turn thier back on another person like you suggest. Some people just don't get over it.

Do not know what your law are up north, but here in the USA I have helped several friends get a fiancee visa. It was good for 90 days where you either had to marry or return to Thailand.

You need a marrage certificate to get a O visa, so that route will not work for you yet.

ok so this is where i am very fuzzy about what kind of visa i would be good to apply for to go back to thailand with. not an immigrant-O. what is the best type of visa i could/should apply for to return to thailand with?

I have a girl in my wife's village that has been on medication for 10 years now, as she returned home to get ready to marry, and went to the train station to meet her man and he never came.....hit her pretty hard. They call her "the crazy lady". Her mother locks her up when we come home, as I am what she dreamed of. (a farang). (Has a cute British accent too).

Hate to see someone just turn thier back on another person like you suggest. Some people just don't get over it.

this is like last resort type thinking. but in all reality if i can't get back to thailand on some sort of longer type visa stay & the gf isn't likely to get a visa to come to canada with me then it is perhaps best to cut the losses now & get on with it. hope that doesn't sound too bad because it will surely break my heart to do so. However it would be worse to continue thinking sometime in future things could/would be different if they won't.

cheers

All is not lost

You could get a double entry tourist Visa at a consulate in Canada which will give you 60 days then 30 day extension in country. Leave the country a couple of days before the 90day validity of the Visa expires and re-enter (on the second entry) with another 60days extend that by another 30days. Thats now 6 months so you could do 3 x 30day visa free entries then off to Singapore to get another Tourist Visa, Thats 1 year and by now you may have decided if you want to marry her.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

hi everyone,

first time poster.

here is my situation... i just came back home to canada after almost 2 years living in thailand happily doing the monthly border run thang. i was living in bkk with my thai gf in her apartment.

back in october we (at my ignorance for the requirements of the entire visa app process!) applied at the canadian conulate for a 6 month visitor visa (which i realize now was unrealistic, perhaps 3-4 weeks for first visa app would have been more realistic) for my gf to come back with me for a visit in canada while i got a job. the visa app was refused and i lived out 2 more months in bkk.

so now i am back home not sure what my next move should/could be. i want to be back in the kingdom living life with my gf but with the new visa laws i am not unsure what to do.

i am lucky to be self-sufficient income wise and don't really need work to get by, especially living in thailand. but i have the chance to take a real job again making some real decent money. A real job however means basically succumbing to life back home without my thai gf and without much real time to get back to the kingdom for regular visits.

could we/should/we re-apply for a canadian visitor visa with a more realistic time-frame of 3-4 weeks for her first visit so she can come visit while i work? then hopefully we could apply for longer subsequent visits with me getting back to the kingdom when work allows? how much more difficult will a second app go knowing the first app was denied?

or would i stand a good chance of getting a non-immigrant O visa from the thai embassy here in canada for a multi-entry 1 year visa to get to bkk to just live as i was & not working

so sorry for the long post & probably very basic questions that have been posted before, but i have been reading for the past 2 days on thaivisa.com & i am still very unsure of what my next move should be.

i have also been thinking prehaps i should just chuck it all in take the job here in canada & forget the past 2 years i spent in thailand cutting my ties... crushing my gf's heart (i am pretty sure) & mine in process.

please any advice or suggestions will surely be appreciated!

thanx

Marry her and your visa problems will be solved :o

I had this problem and solved most of it by going over the head of the non-Canadian making decisions about who gets visas into Canada, and talking to her supervisor who is a reasonable person who can be talked to rationally. The local who is for some bizarre reason doing Canadian visas, is in my opinion, a typical Thai bureaucrat who likes to throw up roadblocks and do things as inefficiently as possible. Whenever she bothers you, go over her head. CC any correspondance to the embassy to your MP with a notation asking why forgieners are making visa decisions and she tends to speed up (alot).

Good Luck

Edited by cdnvic

The local who is for some bizarre reason doing Canadian visas, is in my opinion, a typical Thai bureaucrat who likes to throw up roadblocks and do things as inefficiently as possible. Whenever she bothers you, go over her head. CC any correspondance to the embassy to your MP with a notation asking why forgieners are making visa decisions and she tends to speed up (alot).

thanks for the advice.

i was questioning why the embassy used (what i assumed to be) Thai locals to make decisions on visa to visit Canada. because part of the explanation for the refusal was because i don't have a typical job back in canada (although my income is still above the average for the past 1.5-2 years i was in thailand) i asked her what i could do about satifying the condition when i don't particularly want/need a job & she never did give me an alternative.

so i realize asking for 6 month vist first time around was expecting too much so next time i guess it's gonna be more like 3-4 weeks.

anyways been back home for over a week now & i really want to do what i can to get back to thailand.

You could get a double entry tourist Visa at a consulate in Canada which will give you 60 days then 30 day extension in country. Leave the country a couple of days before the 90day validity of the Visa expires and re-enter (on the second entry) with another 60days extend that by another 30days. Thats now 6 months so you could do 3 x 30day visa free entries then off to Singapore to get another Tourist Visa

i know this isn't new or rocket science but i always just did the easy 30 day round trip to cambodia for my in & out stamps. i didn't mind doing that but i guess it's time to try something different.

so is it going to be possible to come into thailand with a 60 visitor visa, get the 30 day ext., do 3x30 day border runs, get another 60 day tourist visa, 30 day ext, 3x30 day border runs, rinse & recycle as long as you want until you gotta/wanna leave or they (thai immigration) kinda just stop enforcing this 90 day in 90 day out rule?

i'm sure this has been asked/answered many times but what other neighbouring embassies outside of thailand can do the 60 day double entry tourist visa for you other than singapore?

thanks again for the replies.

Edited by chokdeekrap

so is it going to be possible to come into thailand with a 60 visitor visa, get the 30 day ext., do 3x30 day border runs, get another 60 day tourist visa, 30 day ext, 3x30 day border runs, rinse & recycle as long as you want until you gotta/wanna leave or they (thai immigration) kinda just stop enforcing this 90 day in 90 day out rule?
Not quite. with 30day visa free entries you can stay a maximum of 90days in any 180 days thats why it's better to get the double entry tourist visa which you should be able to get in Canada and if used as suggested should get you 6 months.General opinion at the moment is that you can mix Tourist Visas with Visa free entry.
i'm sure this has been asked/answered many times but what other neighbouring embassies outside of thailand can do the 60 day double entry tourist visa for you other than singapore? .
Maybe neighbouring countries including Singapore only issue single entry tourist Visas at the moment, check this forum for confirmation but you wont need it for 9 months and things may well have changed by then. Edited by Mahout Angrit