Sessions asks 46 Obama-era U.S. attorneys to resign

rooster59

I am not disputing the election results and fully accept the fact that Trump one. Those who voted for him mostly are the suffering middle class and poor who believed he will bring their jobs back and raise their incomes.

The problem is that most of the programs that may actually bring some relief are not the onese he is pushing or making a priority. Instead he is deporting people who have never committed a crime and are essential to the Ameerican economy and not one Ameerican will gain a job from it.

He also insists on spending billions of dollars on a useless border wall.

Where are the jobs he promised; where are the tax breaks he promised; where is the Trillion Dollar infrastructure bill; where is the repatriation of the billions held abroad that he claims will help the economy.

There is an old saying put up or shut up- and he is doing neither.

Edited by Thaidream

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, sstuff3 said:

Wrong! The biggest threat to America is divisive people such as yourself, who resort to calling anyone who disagrees with them idiots, bigots, racist, and a whole slew of other derogatory names. That's where the decisiveness started. Trump won the election, get over it. No one cried this long when Obama was re-elected in 2012.

Thank you for proving my point. Nobody is talking about the election, that was 4 months ago, it seems you need to get over it!

I do not recall Obama within a month of getting into office constantly lying, giving only one press conference, openly colluding with the Russians, employing a 'foreign agent' as National Security Advisor, failing to fill over 600 Government positions that are critical to the running of the nation, sacking all Attorney Generals in every state (so they can be replaced by people who will not bring law suits against the Government or Trump). This is nothing to do about 'disagreement' that is laughable, this is about the blind following of someone that is leading you over the cliff without any attempt to rationalise and think through what is happening. It is about losing the most basic principle of morals we were taught as kids - what is right and wrong. So do what you wish, if you are American you and your country are screwed unless people do something about it. As for me, the ill effects I will suffer over Trumps incompetence are probably that I will get fat eating too much popcorn while a watch and laugh. I never thought I would see an empire disappear down the toilet in my life time. I understand now how the Romans felt about Nero.

Donald Trump reminds me of a television pitchman that as a kid growing up in America we would see saying " Have I got a deal for you" and it all sounded good, that is, until you started to find out who was behind the 'deal' and what the actually details were. Then we realized we were being lied to; fooled and there was no deal for us but the deal was for the pitchman and his cronies.
Instead of Trump working on the economy and bringing jobs he is intent on deporting people who have no criminal history and spending billions on a border wall that will not stop illegal immigration but will piss off Mexico, America's 3rd largest trading partner. 
He knows he can't deliver on jobs and infrastructure so he is trying to divert the American public using  fear and abrasive rhetoric.
Like one of the posters said; you have been warned over and over again. Trump is a huckster who will sell you a dream to nowhere.

"Deport people who have no criminal history"? Illegal Immigration is not a crime? Try to overstay your visit to Thailand and see what happens. Unbelievable that there are people who think America is the only country that shouldn't have a proper immigration process.

I am not disputing the election results and fully accept the fact that Trump one. Those who voted for him mostly are the suffering middle class and poor who believed he will bring their jobs back and raise their incomes.
The problem is that most of the programs that may actually bring some relief are not the onese he is pushing or making a priority. Instead he is deporting people who have never committed a crime and are essential to the Ameerican economy and not one Ameerican will gain a job from it.
He also insists on spending billions of dollars on a useless border wall.
Where are the jobs he promised; where are the tax breaks he promised; where is the Trillion Dollar infrastructure bill; where is the repatriation of the billions held abroad that he claims will help the economy.
There is an old saying put up or shit up- and he is doing neither.

Thank for the laugh. He's been in office for less than 2 months and you expect everything to change overnight? Where were your demands that the government be held accountable for the last 8 years?
BTW, the jobs figures were just released a couple days ago. You may want to read the real news.

Thai dream, you watch too much cnn. And your conclusions are misguided, premature and wrong. Perhaps you should be patient and your president govern. Keep in mind the challenges he has and the opposition which includes the major media and the"establishment". As a Canadian I've watched your country go to shit the last decade+.You elected an idiot but he has a mandate. Some of his policies are credible. I'm thinking he's a dark horse....there was no alternative.....and please....dint day Hilary or Bernie....gaaaawd

Thank you for proving my point. Nobody is talking about the election, that was 4 months ago, it seems you need to get over it!   I do not recall Obama within a month of getting into office constantly lying, giving only one press conference, openly colluding with the Russians, employing a 'foreign agent' as National Security Advisor, failing to fill over 600 Government positions that are critical to the running of the nation, sacking all Attorney Generals in every state (so they can be replaced by people who will not bring law suits against the Government or Trump). This is nothing to do about 'disagreement' that is laughable, this is about the blind following of someone that is leading you over the cliff without any attempt to rationalise and think through what is happening. It is about losing the most basic principle of morals we were taught as kids - what is right and wrong. So do what you wish, if you are American you and your country are screwed unless people do something about it. As for me, the ill effects I will suffer over Trumps incompetence are probably that I will get fat eating too much popcorn while a watch and laugh. I never thought I would see an empire disappear down the toilet in my life time. I understand now how the Romans felt about Nero.

[emoji23][emoji4][emoji23]You don't recall it or you don't want to recall? Where were your moral principles over the last 8 years.

If you're not an American then your response isn't required or even necessary.

3 minutes ago, sstuff3 said:

BTW, the jobs figures were just released a couple days ago. You may want to read the real news.

That is such typical nonsense. do you think for one moment the job figures are down to Trumps policies? Is that the level of intellect we are dealing with? It is Obama's policies that will still be the effect on the major indices like jobs for the next 6 months. You do not affect a nations job figures in a month. You really have no idea. Obama has achieved those job figures the last 2 years. Are you telling me that you believed Trump during the campaign when he said unemployment was 40% and now you believe him when he says it is at 4.7% !!!! Everyone showed you the figures 6 months ago, Obama had unemployment down at 4.7-4.9% but nobody believed it until Trump now  says, 'now it is true and it is because of me'. World news needs to be for intelligent informed debate. Go figure.

That is such typical nonsense. do you think for one moment the job figures are down to Trumps policies? Is that the level of intellect we are dealing with? It is Obama's policies that will still be the effect on the major indices like jobs for the next 6 months. You do not affect a nations job figures in a month. You really have no idea. Obama has achieved those job figures the last 2 years. Are you telling me that you believed Trump during the campaign when he said unemployment was 40% and now you believe him when he says it is at 4.7% !!!! Everyone showed you the figures 6 months ago, Obama had unemployment down at 4.7-4.9% but nobody believed it until Trump now  says, 'now it is true and it is because of me'. World news needs to be for intelligent informed debate. Go figure.

Peculiar how Obama's successes over the last eight years just started to materialize since the end of the election? Again, thanks for the laugh.
In regards to the "unemployment numbers", of course the numbers improved under Obama. Research it and you will find they changed the method to calculate the figure making it unreliable. So you are correct, no one believes it, then or now.
My previous comment was not about the "unemployment fugures", it was about the jobs figures (the number of new jobs created during the month). I guess that was Obama's doing too as well as the US stock market reaching and staying at record highs.

4 minutes ago, sstuff3 said:

Peculiar how Obama's successes over the last eight years just started to materialize since the end of the election? Again, thanks for the laugh.
In regards to the "unemployment numbers", of course the numbers improved under Obama. Research it and you will find they changed the method to calculate the figure making it unreliable. So you are correct, no one believes it, then or now.
My previous comment was not about the "unemployment fugures", it was about the jobs figures (the number of new jobs created during the month). I guess that was Obama's doing too as well as the US stock market reaching and staying at record highs.

La La Land. You prove you know nothing and believe anything Trump tells you. What you say is simply ridiculous. Obama created MORE jobs in 8 years than anyone else in decades. Enough! Go find someone to talk to who is intellectually equal.   :coffee1:

La La Land. You prove you know nothing and believe anything Trump tells you. What you say is simply ridiculous. Obama created MORE jobs in 8 years than anyone else in decades. Enough! Go find someone to talk to who is intellectually equal.   :coffee1:

Once again, you proved my point.
Thanks and have a nice day.

Look, I didn't vote for Trump but after the election I accepted him and hoped he would succeed.

Instead, what I find is mostly a cabinet of billionaires who have no ideas what it is like to go to work everyday; getting low wages because the CEO is being paid millions; and then worry about healthcare costs and a healthcare system that is way over priced because of greedy insurance companies and Big Pharma.

I also now find that some of Trump's minions have made contacts with the Russians and lied about portions of it. I also find that Trump has called the media 'the enemy of the people'.  I also have seen his deportation policy picking up people who are not criminals; who work hard at jobs no American will do; and separate mothers and fathers from their children when he said he would deport those who are rapist and murderers. 

I have also listened to Mr Trump talk abrasively to the Mexican President; insult the Australian PM;  get into a fight with Arnold S and continue to answer every imagined slight by using Twitter at odd hours of the night.

To be fair- some of what Trump outlined during the elction made sense such as a Trillion Dollar infrastructure bill and a tax cut on repatriating business funds off shore.  He isn't doing it.

His Health care bill is neither affordable or appealing to the American people- only appealing to wealthy hospitals and Big Pharma. He doesn't understand Healthcare is a human right. Why has every industrialized country to include Canada, all of Europe, Japan and even Thailand able to provide universal healthcare to its citizens at low cost and America cannot? If we are honest- it's because the Government refuses to do it.

In addition, Mr Trump wants to increase the military budget from 630Billion another $54 Billion - the largest in the World while telling Americans he cannot provide universal healthcare.

Trump's priorities are not what the majority of America's citizens want and that is why almost 3 million more people voted for Clinton.

He has had his chance to temper his outbursts; to stop lying about bad press and wiretaps that do not exist and he has failed.

Go ahead- keep following him like lemmings over a cliff. The problem is no one is going to catch you when you fall.

America is a divided country much more so that ever before. The philosophy that Mr Trump and his inner circle adhere to is a alt right conservatism that wants to destroy entitlements and refuses to redistribute income through proper taxation. If a millionaire who makes $20 Million a year has to pay 30% more in taxes he still has $14M left. HIs lifestyle is not affected- he is still rich.  If that 30% is then provided to an American struggling at $30K per year which increase his income to almost $40K per year and puts him into the middle class and he and his family can buy more needed items and spur the economy why should anyone complain. It's called a progressive and fair taxation system.

If Trump really wants to make America great again let him provide real universal healthcare; real immigration reform with  Visa's for foreign labor; a fair taxation system; and a tuition free education. 

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Bharara met with Trump in Trump Tower on Nov. 30. Afterward, Bharara told reporters the two had a "good meeting" and he had agreed to stay on.

Obvious answer the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. 

Look, I didn't vote for Trump but after the election I accepted him and hoped he would succeed.
Instead, what I find is mostly a cabinet of billionaires who have no ideas what it is like to go to work everyday; getting low wages because the CEO is being paid millions; and then worry about healthcare costs and a healthcare system that is way over priced because of greedy insurance companies and Big Pharma.
I also now find that some of Trump's minions have made contacts with the Russians and lied about portions of it. I also find that Trump has called the media 'the enemy of the people'.  I also have seen his deportation policy picking up people who are not criminals; who work hard at jobs no American will do; and separate mothers and fathers from their children when he said he would deport those who are rapist and murderers. 

I have also listened to Mr Trump talk abrasively to the Mexican President; insult the Australian PM;  get into a fight with Arnold S and continue to answer every imagined slight by using Twitter at odd hours of the night.

To be fair- some of what Trump outlined during the elction made sense such as a Trillion Dollar infrastructure bill and a tax cut on repatriating business funds off shore.  He isn't doing it.

His Health care bill is neither affordable or appealing to the American people- only appealing to wealthy hospitals and Big Pharma. He doesn't understand Healthcare is a human right. Why has every industrialized country to include Canada, all of Europe, Japan and even Thailand able to provide universal healthcare to its citizens at low cost and America cannot? If we are honest- it's because the Government refuses to do it.
In addition, Mr Trump wants to increase the military budget from 630Billion another $54 Billion - the largest in the World while telling Americans he cannot provide universal healthcare.
Trump's priorities are not what the majority of America's citizens want and that is why almost 3 million more people voted for Clinton.
He has had his chance to temper his outbursts; to stop lying about bad press and wiretaps that do not exist and he has failed.
Go ahead- keep following him like lemmings over a cliff. The problem is no one is going to catch you when you fall.
America is a divided country much more so that ever before. The philosophy that Mr Trump and his inner circle adhere to is a alt right conservatism that wants to destroy entitlements and refuses to redistribute income through proper taxation. If a millionaire who makes $20 Million a year has to pay 30% more in taxes he still has $14M left. HIs lifestyle is not affected- he is still rich.  If that 30% is then provided to an American struggling at $30K per year which increase his income to almost $40K per year and puts him into the middle class and he and his family can buy more needed items and spur the economy why should anyone complain. It's called a progressive and fair taxation system.

If Trump really wants to make America great again let him provide real universal healthcare; real immigration reform with  Visa's for foreign labor; a fair taxation system; and a tuition free education. 

Written like someone who has "accepted him and hoped (past tense) he would succeed. [emoji54]
He has been in office for 7 weeks!
Your dreams of "redistributed wealth" and "universal healthcare", "free tuituon", "open borders", etc., are in fact just dreams.
Move on!

Indeed- they are just dreams and that is exactly why American will not become great again. Another failed President and Administration that believes ' Greed is Good' while the middle class continue their decline and the poor remain poor.

Also, I never advocate open borders- I advocate an Immigration plan in which much needed foreign labor will be given Visas to come and work in the US. Thailand has a similar plan in affect right now. Too bad America can't figure this out.

Edited by Thaidream

Indeed- they are just dreams and that is exactly why American will not become great again. Another failed President and Administration that believes ' Greed is Good' while the middle class continue their decline and the poor remain poor.

From your own comment, it appears you would agree that America was indeed Great in the past. They never had these "dreams" before so why do you think we need them now to be Great AGAIN?

2 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

I am finding it more increasingly difficult to be either shocked or to comment on here anymore. We have what seems a majority of intelligent people that can see the writing on the wall and what President Bannon is actually doing here and then there are the 'Trump' supporters who would defend Trumps right to shoot a mother and baby in a shopping mall because he 'wanted to'. The US is completely divided and the amount of idiocy displayed in supporting the birth of this 'Ineptocracy', is mind blowing. The biggest threat to the USA in the last 50 years is not the Rissians, or ISIS or Al Qaida it is Trump and Bannon and they are being given free reign to dismantle the bits of machinery that make the US work. You are all totally frakked. In the future, however bleak it turns out to be remember these days when you were WARNED. The US have invented time travel! Most of us go through life doing three steps forward and two steps back, but the US took a great leap forward and is then stepping  400 years back.

no different than cutting from spring training in the major league's in baseball.

Bill cleaned house too when he moved in. And Travel Gate, but that was hrc.

rice555

The answer is quite simple- in the past greed was not the way the economy was run- at one time America had a fair tax code in which the wealthy were taxed very high and wealth was distributed fairly amongst the classes.

Healthcare at one time was affordable because hospitals and doctors actually treated patients because of public service and not to make money. Drug prices were fair for the same reason. 

Banks and financial institutions actually knew who their customers were and did not try and make excessive profits off of securitized mortgages sold abroad. You knew your banker and he/she knew you.

Manufacturing business; Steel and making auto's and other like industries paid good wages and offered secure employment.

All of this changed with so called globalization which was pushed by a succession of both Republican and Democratic  Administrations which completely changed how business was done in America.  The concept of 'Greed is Good' became the rally cry of so called upward mobility where in fact only the 1% moved up and the rest moved down.

At one time Americans actually cared for each other; they din't go around cursing their life and looking for false prophets. They believed in their government because their government produced.

Yes- America was once a great country; but so were other countries. America is no longer great because it  refuses to accept the things it must do to make it great again and the Trump agenda is not going to work. America needs to stop claiming its demise is on illegal immigrants;the  9-1l attacks; terrorists lurking in the shadows and come to grips with the real truth.

10 hours ago, Estrada said:

Draining the swamp so they can replace it with a cess pool.

Drain the swamp to see who to hire.

6 hours ago, sstuff3 said:

Want to live in a Socialist country where the wealth of those who worked hard to earn it is "redistributed", go ahead, there are 1,000's of flights out of the US daily.

America was built on Capitalism and it should remain that way. Those who work hard have the opportunity to rise to the top. That's the "American Dream" and many people, including legal immigrants, have benefited. Don't like it? There are other places in the world you can go that may suit your beliefs.

"Those who work hard have the opportunity to rise to the top."

I'd like to re-word that:  Those who can finagle the biggest loans ......rise to the top.  

Trump is poster boy for sweet talking his way to ever-bigger loans.  He once put dozens of earth-moving machines on a parcel in Atlantic City to trick bankers into thinking he had a lot of building activity going on, when there was actually no one working.

Those who can most effectively cheat the system and cheat others .....rise to the top.  

Again, Trump is a prime example of that.  He doesn't even pay taxes.   He takes lawyers out to dinner the night before they're scheduled to make judgments on the many lawsuits lodged against him.   

10 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

actually, they are being asked to submit their resignations immediately. "The dedicated career prosecutors" cited by the justice department are underlings, not the chief prosecutors. Now, to be fair to Trump, it may well be that some resignation will be refused.

The fate of Preet Bharara, who has been very aggressive in prosecuting Wall St. malefactors, will be particularly interesting to witness. He was asked by Trump and Sessions to stay on. So if they have truly reversed their postion...well I wouldn't be a bit surprised. Given the large number of Wall Street insiders in the Trump administration, I can't see how he would let Bharara stay on.

And, in fact, despite what Trump and Sessions said earlier in a meeting with Bharara, they are firing him as well.  Let's see if they put a corporate lawyer in his place.

20 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

I'm being naïve?  So that's the way you think the world works?  That there's one standard of justice for everyone? Rich or poor?

ANd what makes your accusation of naiveté even more ludicrous is that you are the party who wrote, "I prefer to trust the current US Gov'ts elected official on both sides of the aisle to review the changes are work towards the optimal result."

And as for sources on the net. I use real news sources done by serious researchers and journalists.  Not dubious posts that originally began in Macedonia.

my trust is being borne out every day by lawsuits against decisions and actions being taken by the current administration... sometimes it is watchdog organizations like the ACLU; they're also included in my trust in the system... 

the justice system in the usa does the best that it can. it is populated by human beings with human failings. it could always be better, but there are some people of integrity in it.  you don't get to read about those people often, because laxk of integrity makes headlines etc...

you claims of serious journalism and research to justify your biases as though they're gold standard of what truly represents the truth of the matter brings a smile to my face, and shows why the clinton campaign threw away a most winnable election...

The timing and urgency, perhaps reflected in Sean Hannity's pleas for "a purge of the Obama saboteurs", is what some are finding unusual. I think there was an understanding that this replacement would occur over a longer period of time, without impacting on-going investigations and cases?

The case of Southern District of New York U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara is, separately, interesting. He was specifically asked by the President Elect (at the time) to stay on. But he would be involved with any prosecution of the Trump Organization.

Interesting that Obama had ~ 47 U.S. Attorneys who must be Republican, or at least acceptable to Sessions/Trump?

39 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

The timing and urgency, perhaps reflected in Sean Hannity's pleas for "a purge of the Obama saboteurs", is what some are finding unusual. I think there was an understanding that this replacement would occur over a longer period of time, without impacting on-going investigations and cases?

The case of Southern District of New York U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara is, separately, interesting. He was specifically asked by the President Elect (at the time) to stay on. But he would be involved with any prosecution of the Trump Organization.

Interesting that Obama had ~ 47 U.S. Attorneys who must be Republican, or at least acceptable to Sessions/Trump?

Nice post.  45 of those attorneys were ell aware they'd be asked to resign. This is pretty much SOP. However, Bharara is different, and I believe should have been the exception to prove the rule. He's done a very good job and he is a man of integrity with deep knowledge of the inner workings necessary to explain to a jury the machination employed by defendants in order to get well deserved guilty verdicts.  He also doesn't only go after the little guy to make his numbers look good regarding conviction rate. He is well aware of the power of big bosses who hold the purse strings and how they can give an impression to their subordinates of acting within the law, when they're really not doing that. Allowing him to leave [if his termination isn't reconsidered] would be a blow to the Department of Justice. 

Edited by Ramen087

Preet refused to resign and was sumarrily fired by the Trump Organization. It appears the Trump team now listens to Mr Hannity of Fox news more so than the American public.

Another sad day for America- while the release of these prosecutors is normal with regime change- it is always done in an orderly fashion with some overlap and no loss of case continuity.

the Trump Administration is clearly incompetent and paranoid and sees Obama supporters behind every tree along with terrorists and illegal immigrants.

My God it hasn't even been 2 months and look at the nonsense coming from Trump and his minions- how can we continue on like this for 4 years?  Pure madness.

It might be worth considering that Mr Bharara might just be part of the prosecutorial team that impeaches Donald Trump.  There is a hunt on as we speak for vital evidence involving Mr Trump and his adventures in Moscow. If it can be proved along with pics- Trump is finished.

1 hour ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

Do you have any links to the proof of that?

or just repeating libtard hearsay?  Show proof or keep shtum. He is the POTUS, show some respect.

You mean like the respect  Trump showed Obama when he promoted birther nonsense?

And didn't he just call Obama a "bad (or sick) guy!"

Edited by ilostmypassword

9 hours ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

Do you have any links to the proof of that?

or just repeating libtard hearsay?  Show proof or keep shtum. He is the POTUS, show some respect.

Plenty of evidence as to his racist leanings.  Respect is earned.  Not given.  So far, the POTUS has yet to earn respect from many of us.