Immigration fees

Friday I was at my local immigration office to renew my visa (NON-O), and report 90 days.

As it was my old passport was not valid till the end of the new visa-period, but I had already obtained a new one from the embassy.

So the office had to transfer the visa stamps from the old to the new one. So far so good.

Eventually I was presented with the standard fee of 1.900 for the new visa, for witch I got a receipt.

Then the officer asked for 500 for transferring the stamps, for witch I got NO receipt.

Is there a standard fee for this transaction, or did this money go into the officers pocket?

If his act was not above the table I will consider reporting it to the higher-ups.

Not sure if this will effect any future act against me next time I  come for extension of my visa. Any advice on this one?

36 minutes ago, billd766 said:

When I replaced my passport in 2015 the Immigration staff at Nakhon Sawan did it for free. There was NO mention of any "500" baht charge. In fact at Nakhon Sawan there is NO tea money requested either.

I use NS also.  When I got a new passport they transferred the stamps for free.   However, when I got a Certificate of Residency, which is supposed to be free, they charged me 500 baht, no receipt! When I asked why, the IO  said "new boss"!

43 minutes ago, wayned said:

I use NS also.  When I got a new passport they transferred the stamps for free.   However, when I got a Certificate of Residency, which is supposed to be free, they charged me 500 baht, no receipt! When I asked why, the IO  said "new boss"!

I have a yellow house book so that covers my certificate of Residency.

However I last went to NS in October last year but now I use KPP Immigration.

3 hours ago, Norsman said:

Then the officer asked for 500 for transferring the stamps, for witch I got NO receipt.

You bought lunch!

3 hours ago, Norsman said:

If his act was not above the table I will consider reporting it to the higher-ups.

Not sure if this will effect any future act against me next time I  come for extension of my visa. Any advice on this one?

Yes, don't bother. It's possible that it was done with the knowledge and support of the senior officer within the office.

If you complain and the senior officer isn't involved you'll be ok, otherwise you're creating a problem that's not worth 500 baht or exercising your personal morals.

• Like 1

Complaining does not jeopardize your future in Thailand and a compliant is taken very serious. Officers are very afraid of complaints made against them, it is no laughing matter for them.

Contrary to what you might believe by reading to much on this forum an immigration officer isn't all that powerful. Unless you allow them to walk over you.

immigration has to follow the rules, which is subject to the scrutiny of their superiors and in the end administrative court. Never heard of an immigration officer that made problems after a compliant was filed against him. A new compliant wouldn't be a smart career move.