More young Thai talent needed to improve financial markets

webfact

More young Thai talent needed to improve financial markets
By NATTHAPAT PHROMKAEW
THE NATION
SHANGHAI

BANGKOK: -- THAILAND still needs a lot of young professionals capable of helping improve the local financial markets. That is why the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) continues to hold its annual Young Financial Star competition to attract more talent into the field.

Krisada Sektrakul, SET senior executive vice president and head of the Capital Market Education Division, says that with more young professionals joining, more foreign investors will put their money in the Thai financial market through those young talents. Also, with a restructuring in the local markets, there is a need for more professionals.

“Our country is still suffering from a big shortage of professionals,” he said.

Young Financial Star (YFS) is a cooperation between the SET, Muang Thai Life Assurance and other companies. It aims to promote knowledge and understanding in financial planning for youths by studying and competing in a range of intensive and challenging scenarios in finance and investment.

Full story: More young Thai talent needed to improve financial markets

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-13

6 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

“Our country is still suffering from a big shortage of professionals,” he said.

Nailed it right there!

I thought Thailand was special and had many professionals. And the icing on the cake was that they're all family members of the people in charge. A happy coincidence. 

28 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Try investing in education.  Might start seeing your problems solved.

6 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

Working in the financial markets requires critical thinking and the ability to question orthodoxy. Some new training needed there.

Education and critical thinking are exactly where the ruling elite need it to be. It's too difficult to rip off the educated.

I'm sure the powers that be are more than happy to maintain the status quo.

Instead of "young talent" why not try recruiting some "old talent"? There are plenty of senior monks, politicians and other assorted "businessmen" around who are quite gifted and creative when it comes to handling finances and truckloads of money - although admittedly mostly only for their own benefit.

Seems many TV readers have as much problem understanding a press release or just refuse to read between the line.

It is clearly aiming for people who consider themselves as young professionals. With enough income to be young investors to buy their financial products.  Not really to try to create professionals 

"It aims to promote (LIMITED)  knowledge and understanding in financial planning for youths by studying and competing in a range of intensive and challenging scenarios in finance and investment."

"The programme has led to networking of the Young Financial Star participants and inspired youngsters to have an increased role in spreading the idea of personal financial management. "

I think most all young investors make mistakes and the insurance industry and SET only work when some people are more Knowledgable than others.  So are looking for new newbies to fleece. 

Well, you could lure that "young talent" by explaining how to take advantage of the system. Hold seminars on Insider Trading, Ponzi Schemes, Collusion and Best Practices in Avoiding Justice and SEC, and I'm sure the crowd will stream in. And as benefit to society, there will be less street racers. Win win.

2 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Well, you could lure that "young talent" by explaining how to take advantage of the system. Hold seminars on Insider Trading, Ponzi Schemes, Collusion and Best Practices in Avoiding Justice and SEC, and I'm sure the crowd will stream in. And as benefit to society, there will be less street racers. Win win.

Excellent idea. And one of the supplementary workshops could be titled "When the Shit Hits the Fan: How to Ordain to Escape Any Responsibility".

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Try investing in education.  Might start seeing your problems solved.

Oh the Thais do invest in education but the investment is poorly controlled, poorly allocated, inefficiently spent and stolen through corruption. The result is poor quality teachers, a poorly targeted curriculum, ignorant management and a total misunderstanding of where to focus and what is needed to improve the situation. Add to that the largely ignorant population and it is really the blind leading the blind with an overlay of Thai face to complete the farce.

More young Thai talent ability needed to improve financial markets

Brought to mind ads in "help wanted" sections of paper. Businesses shooting selves in the foot when the advertise by age  or sex "male under 30 wanted". If sex and age have no direct bearing on job duties, why limit it? (Gogo bars excepted, natch). Considering the slow rate of reaching what might be called adulthood, I would think might even want to change to "over 30..."

Don't need that many educated and talented young people to care for those special trees where the Thai people come with offerings to rub on barks.

That's the extend of their financial knowledge. The rest is that debts would be forgiven...

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

More young Thai talent ability needed to improve financial markets

Brought to mind ads in "help wanted" sections of paper. Businesses shooting selves in the foot when the advertise by age  or sex "male under 30 wanted". If sex and age have no direct bearing on job duties, why limit it? (Gogo bars excepted, natch). Considering the slow rate of reaching what might be called adulthood, I would think might even want to change to "over 30..."

Good point. The likes will come. The reason that they have such a low unemployment rate is that wages are so low they can afford to hire 3 people for one job 2 to play on their mobiles on a rotating basis. 

4 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Instead of "young talent" why not try recruiting some "old talent"? There are plenty of senior monks, politicians and other assorted "businessmen" around who are quite gifted and creative when it comes to handling finances and truckloads of money - although admittedly mostly only for their own benefit.

Now you have me thinking that the whole world is in this to enrich themselves. 

4 hours ago, northernboy said:

Seems many TV readers have as much problem understanding a press release or just refuse to read between the line.

It is clearly aiming for people who consider themselves as young professionals. With enough income to be young investors to buy their financial products.  Not really to try to create professionals 

"It aims to promote (LIMITED)  knowledge and understanding in financial planning for youths by studying and competing in a range of intensive and challenging scenarios in finance and investment."

"The programme has led to networking of the Young Financial Star participants and inspired youngsters to have an increased role in spreading the idea of personal financial management. "

I think most all young investors make mistakes and the insurance industry and SET only work when some people are more Knowledgable than others.  So are looking for new newbies to fleece. 

I believe your right but the topic lead line seems to indicate differently. 

Just bring in more educated foreigners to train " if excisting" telented young thais by working together and don't come always with  that stupid idea "THAIS KNOW ALL BETTER" as what we (foreigners) experiance in this country it's just the opoesite.

Take students from University and you will be surprised what you can expect....many needs more then just fundamental trainings....special in their behaviour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye bye "hubs" of Thailand. Go and look at Vietnam for example how the young people are doing there!!!!!!!!

12 minutes ago, manhood said:

Just bring in more educated foreigners to train " if excisting" telented young thais by working together and don't come always with  that stupid idea "THAIS KNOW ALL BETTER" as what we (foreigners) experiance in this country it's just the opoesite.

Take students from University and you will be surprised what you can expect....many needs more then just fundamental trainings....special in their behaviour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye bye "hubs" of Thailand. Go and look at Vietnam for example how the young people are doing there!!!!!!!!

There are very few foreigners who speak Thai and are willing to train the talented Thai kids.

A couple of years ago we took our car into the shop and the owner had his son drive us back to the house.  After a few minutes, the young guy says, in near perfect English, "I want to talk with you but don't know what to say."  He is a senior at one of the private high schools and will start at CMU majoring in finance.  I asked him what he would like to do and he said, without a moment's hesitation, that he would move to Singapore or Hong Kong.

I asked why he would leave.  His answer, "Thai person cannot have a career in Thailand if he is not from the right family."    

Archived