Isaan working to cope with drought

webfact

Northeast working to cope with drought

KHON KAEN, 14 March 2017 (NNT) - Work has begun in provinces of the northeast to ensure adequate water supply during the drought season. 

In Khon Kaen province, farmers in Muang district have sectioned off parts of their farms for use as reservoirs despite the high cost of such a practice, saying that the water will be needed after the past 3 years saw severe drought conditions. They noted that some farmers have already begun planting a new crop for this season despite government warnings against doing so. 

In Uthai Thani province, military personnel have taken part in dredging canals in Baan Rai district in assistance of Karen villagers. The dredged waterways will be able to take on more water and help to replenish local reservoirs. Earlier, the army dispatched water trucks to provide drinking and usage water to locals of Baan Rai, urging them to ration the water for future use.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-14

The village/town I lived in the first 4 years up here near Korat, has 2 large reservoirs and a couple smaller ones - all empty before the last dry season began.  The newest big one was dug 3 years ago but it's remained a rough cut hole in the ground, no pump houses/facilities, etc.  I was wondering what the heck they had in mind, nothing seemed to be happening.

Tessaban did A LOT of work all the sudden leading up to last rain season.  They cut a klong along the road from the new rough cut reservoir over to the big, primary reservoir.  After rain season got going, I rode over on the motorbike and was gobsmacked to see the new rough cut reservoir was totally full, and an impressive volume of water was flowing into the klong over to the primary reservoir, which filled up to the top in about 3 to 4 days.  Incredible.  Many, including me, sat there on our motorbikes at water's edge, watching and listening to the glorious, reassuring sound of water crashing into the lake.  Tipped my hat to the local government boys, they done good.

Drought- what drought- Songkran will throw away millions of cubic metres of water. Don't worry- just turn on the tap and water will still come out.  If Thailand was really serious about saving water- the Junta would allow water throwing for one day only. 

Big difference to last year, this year the reservoirs have water in them! this time last year it was bone dry everywhere & they were empty with no rain expected till "late" due to El Nino, I live 12k outside off Udon, we have had 2 good downpours in the last 4 months, last night & today smaller showers & cool!

3 hours ago, CGW said:

Big difference to last year, this year the reservoirs have water in them! this time last year it was bone dry everywhere & they were empty with no rain expected till "late" due to El Nino, I live 12k outside off Udon, we have had 2 good downpours in the last 4 months, last night & today smaller showers & cool!

Same in my area - it has been very dry the last 4 months with only one good rain last week but the reservoir is higher this year for mid March and it appears to have storms coming over the next few weeks.  Last year here it was May before it got wet?  I find it amazing in Isaan that it can rain heavy in one area yet several hundred meters away it gets nothing.

1 hour ago, gerry1953 said:

Same in my area - it has been very dry the last 4 months with only one good rain last week but the reservoir is higher this year for mid March and it appears to have storms coming over the next few weeks.  Last year here it was May before it got wet?  I find it amazing in Isaan that it can rain heavy in one area yet several hundred meters away it gets nothing.

We have had a good rain today :) gets boring watering the garden, no need for at least three  days now, it was a long hot summer last year, with as you say no rain until May, the year before there was never that much rain, which added to the drama last year.

I check the TMD radar when there is rain about http://weather.tmd.go.th/kknLoop.php 

Easy to see just how localized the rain is...

All dams full here and no drought possible, lovely and green again after the last few weeks rain and my little Makita mower is in overdrive. we always seem to be on the edge of the big storms, I watch them often on an evening while sitting outside drinking my beers from our viewpoint it is a sight to behold, sometimes I'm fishing or on at the rubber trees and it's pissing it down then ride off home to find it's dry as a bone. Do sometimes get a mash up storm and then I go in and play on the playstation because if you sit outside when a big storm comes you will get struck by lightning and fried like a fried fish thing or so I have been told!

One coming in the distance now.....Cracking display.

Hutch68 - With the dams being at 100% before the beginning of wet season (in Isaan) should be a concern for major flooding I would think.  I would hate to see a wall of water like we had around Bangkok about 5 years back, I lost a newly built car when waters breeched a 3 meter wall - dyke?

In my area our main dam is 4 meters below full so they have lots of room to capture and control any flooding.  It rained heavily today and this is 2 months earlier than 2016.

Rains.jpg

17 minutes ago, gerry1953 said:

Hutch68 - With the dams being at 100% before the beginning of wet season (in Isaan) should be a concern for major flooding I would think.  I would hate to see a wall of water like we had around Bangkok about 5 years back, I lost a newly built car when waters breeched a 3 meter wall - dyke?

In my area our main dam is 4 meters below full so they have lots of room to capture and control any flooding.  It rained heavily today and this is 2 months earlier than 2016.

Rains.jpg

Nice pad.