Senior official accused of theft in Japan to be sacked

snoop1130

Senior official accused of theft in Japan to be sacked

By The Nation

671656d04f5c2e6f43fb1baeded4eaa6.png

Deputy director general of the Intellectual Property Department, Suphat Saquandeekul, will not lose his pension and medical benefits even if he is dismissed from service, a committee investigating his theft of a painting said. 

Suphat was arrested for stealing paintings from a hotel in Japan two months ago. The theft occurred during his work trip. 

“All committee members have unanimously resolved to punish him with dismissal. But we agreed to let him retain his rights to pension and medical benefits,” Justice Ministry deputy permanent secretary Pol Colonel Dusadee Arawuit said yesterday in his capacity as the chair of the committee.

Dusadee said the decision was made after careful study of facts and laws. 

“We have also taken into account his repentance and the fact that he had never committed any disciplinary offence or caused damage to the state throughout his service period that spanned over three decades,” he said. 

Suphat was not charged in Japan, as he confessed to his crime and paid compensation.

In practice, the dismissal order will not affect Suphat as he had already tendered his resignation shortly after his crime became news. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30309197

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-3-15

7 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Dismissing an official who has already resigned on his own terms more than a month ago is like executing a criminal who has already died from a high fall during the police chase. Well done! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

I think there is a difference between resigned and sacked, in that the latter may influence his pension.

Edit : I read now in the OP that he keeps his pension rights, so yet another no event

Edited by Allstars

13 hours ago, Psimbo said:

That's nice- and totally unexpected.

More like that's nice- and totally meaningless. Had he not resigned I'd be impressed. Had he not resigned most likely he would have been reassigned instead of sacked. 

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I think he was due to retire in September or October, so win-win: early retirement, with all benefits. Downside: no paintings.

But he must feel loss of face and humiliated too. Wouldn't you?

“In practice, the dismissal order will not affect Suphat as he had already tendered his resignation shortly after his crime became news.

Where can I get a job like that? Just before I am about to retire, I rob and steal everything in sight. Then perform some inquiries to find out what others know about my activities. Admit to the ones they are aware of. Return only those things. Keep everything else....and....receive full retirement benefits with no jail time or penalties. "You can't dismiss me. I already retired."

No wonder people pay big money for government positions. It buys them a license to steal.

And Thailand really thinks that it will move down on the list of corrupt countries? 

Edited by jaltsc

17 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Sacked just before retirement and keeps all his benefits. Lesson learnt. 

P.s I thought he'd already resigned. 

The reason that they waited this long is to see how much he could stuff in a brown envelope.I am guessing that it was not enough>

How can Pol Col Dusadee now Mr Suphat had never breached the disciplinary code of conduct during his 30 years as a state official. Therefore, the punishment was commuted to a mere dismissal, which will appear in his record. Maybe he be very lucky nobody take hime steeling (I think this it`s not the first time he steeling) before on his trip around the word in his work for Thailand. You se only in Phuket a Farang boy steel 2 T-shirt and get 15 Mount in jail and drunk of course. It`s ridicules hi have the rights to pension and medical + familie benefits life out.

Edited by nasa123

5 hours ago, captnhoy said:

More like that's nice- and totally meaningless. Had he not resigned I'd be impressed. Had he not resigned most likely he would have been reassigned instead of sacked. 

I guess you don't do sarcasm!