BTS offers free rides to new station, first in Samut Prakarn

webfact

BTS offers free rides to new station, first in Samut Prakarn

By Coconuts Bangkok 

bts.jpg

Photo: My Train Pix/Flickr

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) began trial runs on the new extension to the BTS Skytrain system to Samrong Station, the first stop in Samut Prakarn province, yesterday.

Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang led a group of executives from BMA, Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Limited (BTSC), and members of the media to ride the new BTS Green Line extension to Samrong Station, part of the Bearing – Samut Prakarn extension.

Trial runs on the Bearing-Samrong one-station section will continue until April 2, after which public service on the BTS Sukhumvit line will extend to Samrong Station regularly from April 3.

Full story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/bts-offers-free-rides-new-station-first-samut-prakarn/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-03-16

I'd expect this to be a very popular service.

I'm also worried that based on what happened when they opened the extension past On-Nut (no extra carriages or trains for nearly a year (if I remember rightly)) and the current rush hour loads, there has to be a better than fair chance of the system being totally overloaded very quickly.

Glad I can work from home nowadays.

A lot of people getting on at Bearing are currently shuttling in on Songtaews and the like from Samrong and beyond, shouldn't make too much difference adding one extra station.

They will definitely need more rolling stock out there once they are going all the way to Samut Prakan and back.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:12 AM, FarangryBirds said:

A lot of people getting on at Bearing are currently shuttling in on Songtaews and the like from Samrong and beyond, shouldn't make too much difference adding one extra station.

They will definitely need more rolling stock out there once they are going all the way to Samut Prakan and back.

Exactly as I explained in my article I wrote in the Big Chilli Magazine. they are shuttling to Bearing from Samrong. the extra 4-car trains will be delivered starting 2018 when they open the rest of the extension. Overcrowding is only caused by an unexpected surge in passengers that have not been predicted by the central computer. The computer works out the number of trains required at any one time from past history, time of day, special event etc and can increase the train intervals from say 5 minutes off peak to 75seconds between trains. The BTS is currently carrying nearly 800,000 passengers/day during the week.

I've travelled the BTS for 13 years. I've never seen lineups for outbound trains at Prom Pong like I have this year and the last. From roughly 9:30 to 11 pm, I have had to wait 1-3 trains before being able to get on for Phra Khanong. Yes, many people were getting off work but they always have from Emporium and surrounding area. I don't think it's because of Em Quartier entirely. There are more people using the BTS from all directions, I think. When Udom Suk opened, it was a good station to catch the train as it was empty. Now, many shuttle buses drop off riders there and it has become very busy. Now the new extension stations will encourage even more ridership. I believe the BTS Suk line will become rather unbearable. Guess it beats walking or taking a taxi or cheap BMT bus.