High Hideyhole for Songkraan ?

orang37

It has nothing to do with age. I remember Songkran in 1967- a gentler and milder time but fun. There is no fun now- people trying to cause others to fall from motorcycles; drunks everywhere; ice thrown at car windows; people who do not want to participate forced to endure.  I enjoy fun- but Songkran has evolved into a situation that is not fun at all. Even the Thais cannot wait until it's over.  It is my hope the Government allows only 1 day of revelry.  Nor only is there a drought but the Kingdom is in mourning.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

I doubt the complainers have a good time left in them.

No I think they do, and many may well have more good times than you do at present. They don't have to regard Songkran in particular as a good time, however.

if I get wet, I won't shrink or melt.

In Pattaya it's a lot more than just wet with filthy water. It's ice and powder and attempts to wreck your bike, blind you, or blow out your eardrums.

Maybe at 72, I just haven't gotten too old to enjoy a fun time.

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

But then I am 18 - inside. Now and Forever

See first reply above. How about Hide-And-Seek, Tag, Redlight, Patty Cake, Red Rover, and Simon Says? No need to wait for Songkran to play these. Research the internet to read up on the rules. YAY!

The Songkran keeps you young argument rather foolishly advanced by old men--in Pattaya--is discussed extensively in the 2017 Pattaya Songkran FAQ here. Practical, efficient, appropriate Songkran wear for the oldsters, or indeed any Songkran reveler, is even described with link to purchase. So there may be some applicability to the Chiang Mai version.

Edited by JSixpack

Songkran is nothing more than an obscene distortion of the original cultural event. I do not plan on avoiding anywhere. I just know how to avoid the drunks and the water.  Songkran is now in the same category as the Full Moon Party- completely inappropriate for a country that espouses conservative values and adherence to its culture. Oh, I forgot- money is the god of choice.

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

No I think they do, and many may well have more good times than you do at present. They don't have to regard Songkran in particular as a good time, however.

In Pattaya it's a lot more than just wet with filthy water. It's ice and powder and attempts to wreck your bike, blind you, or blow out your eardrums.

See first reply above. How about Hide-And-Seek, Tag, Redlight, Patty Cake, Red Rover, and Simon Says? No need to wait for Songkran to play these. Research the internet to read up on the rules. YAY!

The Songkran keeps you young argument rather foolishly advanced by old men--in Pattaya--is discussed extensively in the 2017 Pattaya Songkran FAQ here. Practical, efficient, appropriate Songkran wear for the oldsters, or indeed any Songkran reveler, is even described with link to purchase. So there may be some applicability to the Chiang Mai version.

I don't live in Pattaya; once you get some knowledge, if you ever do, you may know where you can have a good time without the hassle. I doubt any of you have had better times than I and I still see many ahead. I have but one thing left on my bucket list--to be the last man standing at the World's End party. I wish you can get away from your sour notes and enjoy.

Songkran....hazardous air, hazardous water, high heat, no rain, backpackers without deodorant, cops in riot gear, many businesses closed.....one or two days would seem a lot more reasonable than 7 or 8.  I got seven nights  in Bangkok, and at least a few days, and airfare for less than 3500 THB.  I'll estimate the road death toll at 643.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

9 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Songkran....hazardous air, hazardous water, high heat, no rain, backpackers without deodorant, cops in riot gear, many businesses closed.....one or two days would seem a lot more reasonable than 7 or 8.  I got seven nights  in Bangkok, and at least a few days, and airfare for less than 3500 THB.  I'll estimate the road death toll at 643.

Congratulations, the total of your deodorant comments now exceed your US health care rants.  You must enjoy sticking your nose in armpits to check for deodorant.  Happy sniffing.

We observe, with compounding interest hanging around our principles like flatulence, the usual construction of another battle between Ahura-Mazda's sons, Spenta and Angra.

The idea that someone would, in a particular year, wish to get up in the mountains, rather than stay in Chiang Mai for Songkraan, is also someone who:

a. doesn't know how, or care to, or is too old to ... have fun.

b. doesn't enjoy, or respect, or take part in observing ... Songkraan

Is an ad hominem conclusion which is, of course, unsurprising given the context.

~o:37;

p.s. hint: it's the weather

14 hours ago, smotherb said:

once you get some knowledge, if you ever do, you may know where you can have a good time without the hassle.

Actually the Pattaya Songkran FAQ has a list of places here where hassle-free good times during Songkran may be had, as verified by TVF posters over the years; and the list is mostly applicable to Chiang Mai denizens as well, particularly w/ regard to leaving Thailand for the duration. :smile:

I still see many ahead.

Be sure you're wearing goggles to protect your eyes against infections from that filthy water. For an old man to fall down in that crap . . . shudder; hae to see you not complete that bucket list . . . . ;) That and other good survival advice for those who choose to be targets is given here.

Edited by JSixpack

56 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Actually the Pattaya Songkran FAQ has a list of places here where hassle-free good times during Songkran may be had, as verified by TVF posters over the years; and the list is mostly applicable to Chiang Mai denizens as well, particularly w/ regard to leaving Thailand for the duration. :smile:

Be sure you're wearing goggles to protect your eyes against infections from that filthy water. For an old man to fall down in that crap . . . shudder; hae to see you not complete that bucket list . . . . ;) That and other good survival advice for those who choose to be targets is given here.

Yes, I even read on this forum that TVF posters are holing-up in their condos or leaving country in search of a hassle-free time during Songkran. Perhaps more importantly, I have read the tales of woe of many TVF posters who appear to have not made very good choices which resulted in unhappy life experiences and/or unpleasant situations both here and wherever they were before they came to Thailand. Sorry, but TVF posters don't appear to me to be the best source for hassle-free good times. I think I will keep-on making my own decisions.

However, I do wear a full-face helmet on my Harley when I have my personal little Songkran game of getting wherever I choose without getting wet. Nonetheless,  I do thank you for your concern.

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

However, I do wear a full-face helmet on my Harley when I have my personal little Songkran game of getting wherever I choose without getting wet.

The illusion that helmets protect motorcyclists from the dangers posed by Songkran is debunked in the FAQ for you here. Reminds of Thais and their magical tattoos, actually. I'd say that someone who's so very worried that others might think he's not having a good time probably isn't to the extent he's claiming. :smile:

Edited by JSixpack

5 hours ago, orang37 said:

We observe, with compounding interest hanging around our principles like flatulence, the usual construction of another battle between Ahura-Mazda's sons, Spenta and Angra.

The idea that someone would, in a particular year, wish to get up in the mountains, rather than stay in Chiang Mai for Songkraan, is also someone who:

Is an ad hominem conclusion which is, of course, unsurprising given the context.

So, I guess I could sorta, kinda be included as part of Category B.  I actually look forward to the enforced confinement of five days of Songkran in the condo.  A chance to, as I said, get the U.S. Federal Taxes done and sort thru and toss out a years worth of receipts and other document debris.  It's fun to listen to the mayhem outside the condo window.  The same sort of waves of joyous screams that people have on a roller coaster at an amusement park.  And, now fortunately, the noise dies down at dusk since the concerts have moved from KSK to Maya and out-of-earshot.  Also, Hubby always buys a few new shirts for songkran and gets his water cannon out of the closet for an afternoon or two out with his friends.  It's fun to see his excitement. 

9 hours ago, JSixpack said:

The illusion that helmets protect motorcyclists from the dangers posed by Songkran is debunked in the FAQ for you here. Reminds of Thais and their magical tattoos, actually. I'd say that someone who's so very worried that others might think he's not having a good time probably isn't to the extent he's claiming. :smile:

Yes, I can imagine how you would think someone isn't having as good a time as he says.  Just continue believeing I haven't had a good time--it will make you feel better.

16 hours ago, orang37 said:

hmmm ...., or maybe even
c. chooses the have a different kind of fun.
...., as opposed to someone like your sanctimonious self who clearly chooses to diss those who are simply exercising their own free choice.

Edited by Sandy Freckle

On 3/16/2017 at 6:22 PM, dave2 said:

re

I was thinking I'd like to spend a week, or so, during the annual watergasm ... locating our physical body somewhere

anywhere but here !

im off to hong kong for a week ish ? this year :)

bangkok airways plane to ch mai 7 may 11 2011_05120066.JPG

bangkok airways plane to yangon 11 apr 15 20150411_104921.jpg

laos airlines plane 4 dec 10 2010_12060018.JPG

lion air plane chiang mai airport 13 jan 16 20160113_151242.jpg

thai airways plane 23 jan 06 2006_0123_162702AA.JPG

Nepal high enough for you.Great escape place.People,food,weather all fantastic.3 month visa available.

On 3/17/2017 at 4:36 PM, WinnieTheKhwai said:

Agreed!

Depends how long you've been here and how old you are.My village does a civilized progressive Songkran by going to everybodys house throwing a bit of water and moving on.They walk everywhere.The village is getting bigger,so half go west and half go east and meet up at Sountatit in the arvo for a final fling.That's it,1 day.All the young ones come back from where ever they have been working and it is good to see them,growing up and enjoying themselves with their families.

On 3/17/2017 at 6:50 PM, Formaleins said:

Well good luck, make sure that you don't venture into town as the PLOD will likely arrest you for indecency as they did with a farang guy who DARED to go without a shirt in Chiang Mai last year! Morons.

Ko Chang is NOT Chiang Mai.The police know all about tourism and what it is worth.Have had plenty to drink with them and they are good blokes.

On 3/17/2017 at 7:58 PM, joecoolfrog said:

Anybody walking through a Thai town shirtless is certainly a moron !

Different rules apply for Songkran,especially in the beach areas.Nobody is supposed to sit in the back of utes these days.Watch that one get ignored 100%

On 3/17/2017 at 8:41 PM, Thaidream said:

It has nothing to do with age. I remember Songkran in 1967- a gentler and milder time but fun. There is no fun now- people trying to cause others to fall from motorcycles; drunks everywhere; ice thrown at car windows; people who do not want to participate forced to endure.  I enjoy fun- but Songkran has evolved into a situation that is not fun at all. Even the Thais cannot wait until it's over.  It is my hope the Government allows only 1 day of revelry.  Nor only is there a drought but the Kingdom is in mourning.

This only happens in some areas,funnily enough where it is a farang  ghetto area.The rest of Thailand is reasonably  civilized.The best place i had one was Mai Hong Son.Fantastic hospitality.

On 3/17/2017 at 8:54 PM, canthai55 said:

this is the Chiang Mai forum. Want to discuss Songkran in Pattaya - go to Pattaya forum

Where does it say Chiang Mai Forum.The only hint is location is east of Ping,big area.Seeing Songkran takes in all of Thailand,it will be treated as all of Thailand.

1 minute ago, louse1953 said:

Where does it say Chiang Mai Forum.The only hint is location is east of Ping,big area.Seeing Songkran takes in all of Thailand,it will be treated as all of Thailand.

Try the top of the page

On 3/18/2017 at 1:26 AM, Sandy Freckle said:

I do like the sound of Chiang Dao..., hopefully in the future, it does not go the way of Pai, with the streets full of rope heads, man buns, tribal tats and banana f'n pan-bloody-cakes. :wai:

Your right.I was lucky enough to go to Pai in the early 90's and it was a chilled place.Went through in 2007 and stopped  one night.Will never see me again,the place is ruined.But that's ok by me,because it keeps all those pretend hipppys confined to one place.They are too lazy to get out to the other cool spots that i will not mention here.

The OP says:  "...locating our physical body somewhere at altitude high enough to be much more now."

You need to be at "altitude high enough to be much more now?"

What is "much more now"? 

Do you mean "naao" (หนาว)  as in cool? 

If that's the case, then Chiang Dao, as nice as it might be, will not be any cooler than where you are now (unless of course hike and stay at the very top of Doi Chiang Dao.)

Look on a map. There's no place in Thailand that will provide the relief that you want. Cairo has nice weather; parts of Japan; South Korea, or Tibet are a few possible places to go. 

By the way, this thread seems to have been hijacked into a Songkran thread rather than a, "Where to go to avoid it" thread, which seems to be the OP's intent. 

Lots of off-topic stuff here, unfortunately. 

The OP says:  "...locating our physical body somewhere at altitude high enough to be much more now."

You need to be at "altitude high enough to be much more now?"

What is "much more now"? 

Do you mean "naao" (หนาว)  as in cool? 

If that's the case, then Chiang Dao, as nice as it might be, will not be any cooler than where you are now (unless of course hike and stay at the very top of Doi Chiang Dao.)

Look on a map. There's no place in Thailand that will provide the relief that you want. Cairo has nice weather; parts of Japan; South Korea, or Tibet are a few possible places to go. 

By the way, this thread seems to have been hijacked into a Songkran thread rather than a, "Where to go to avoid it" thread, which seems to be the OP's intent. 

Lots of off-topic stuff here, unfortunately.