Settings for Pocket WiFi

pgs

Hi,

Could anyone assist me with the DTAC settings for a pocket WiFi? I know they currently have a free one with certain plans, but we are not there at present & She Who Demands Obeyance is not capable of setting her mobile as a hotspot.

I have a Huawei model which I would like to set as DTAC for her to use in a few months - just to make my life easier.

DTAC support haven't answered - don't really expect them to as they will want to sell new ones & the nephews can't understand what is wanted.

Pics are in case they are called something else in other countries.

Thanks.

dtac.JPG

hot-spots-e.jpg

I really don't understand what you want, other than to utilize a piece of equipment that you already own !

I have an unlocked US AT&T mobile hotspot manufactured by Netgear (AirCard770S)  To use it I just went to the DTAC shop and purchased a DATA SIM, put it into the unit and the display showed me the the Wi Fi password, which I input(ed) into my cell phone, tablet and laptop. That was all the configuration needed, the device needed no configuration, just a fully charged battery 

Unfortunately,  I know nothing about the Huawei model but can't see why it would be any different that what I am using 

17 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

I really don't understand what you want, other than to utilize a piece of equipment that you already own !

I have an unlocked US AT&T mobile hotspot manufactured by Netgear (AirCard770S)  To use it I just went to the DTAC shop and purchased a DATA SIM, put it into the unit and the display showed me the the Wi Fi password, which I input(ed) into my cell phone, tablet and laptop. That was all the configuration needed, the device needed no configuration, just a fully charged battery 

Unfortunately,  I know nothing about the Huawei model but can't see why it would be any different that what I am using 

Possibly it's different in the US, here I have found they need to be configured for the different telcos.

15 hours ago, JamJar said:

Name: dtac internet or what ever you want

APN: www.dtac.co.th

User name: <leave blank>

Password: <leave blank>

Thanks, I found that listed for phones, the pocket wifi has more settings to fill in...

wifi2.jpg

Those defaults in the UI will work.

I think the only important variables are Access Point Name = www.dtac.co.th, Dial = *99#

You'll also need to add value, subscribe to a mobile data plan and set-up the WiFi AP details (SSID, security protocol and associated details), and manage on-going monthly use.

Figuring out how to use her phone as an AP might ultimately be simpler? Once set-up (by you: SSID details) it's as simple as a pull-down and click.

I have a  Huawei  that is the same or very similar to the one you plan to use. I bought a WiFi receiver for my desktop and have found that it is easier to use than the USB connection. Install the SIM card and the computer immediately sees it. Click on the icon and it asks for the PIN. Input the PIN and click connect, off it goes. My phones work about the same way. I now use a Netgear because the  Huawei  is only 3G. The Netgear works exactly the same way and is 4G.

ADDED - Using the  Huawei or Netgear in WiFi mode requires no settings for the computer other than putting in the password. My laptop sees the signal and after putting in the password, it requires no settings in the computer. Same with the phones.

Edited by Gary A

Once you have connected to the Internet via DTAC, there will be no need to remove the SIM in order to top up, check balances and apply packages.

That can all be done by visiting these pages whilst connected to the Internet via DTAC;

https://my.dtac.co.th/esv/en/myRefill    to top up.

https://my.dtac.co.th/esv/en/remainingBalance Check balances of packages and phone credit.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/4g-non-stop.html  Apply packages

It has to be said that DTAC data offerings are quite poor in relation to AIS.

Once you have connected to the Internet via DTAC, there will be no need to remove the SIM in order to top up, check balances and apply packages.

Note that you do need to be able to receive and view the SMS with 4-digit code to get into the web-based myDTAC eService platform. Some fully-integrated mobile data devices (USB,  pocket WiFi) do offer the ability to send/receive/read/compose SMSes, and to originate USSD commands. However, if you don't have that sort of UI you'll need a phone to receive the SMS. If you can figure out out how to use your phone as an WiFi AP (hotspot) you can use the service providers Android app to manage the account.

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Note that you do need to be able to receive and view the SMS with 4-digit code to get into the web-based myDTAC eService platform. Some fully-integrated mobile data devices (USB,  pocket WiFi) do offer the ability to send/receive/read/compose SMSes, and to originate USSD commands. However, if you don't have that sort of UI you'll need a phone to receive the SMS. If you can figure out out how to use your phone as an WiFi AP (hotspot) you can use the service providers Android app to manage the account.

No.....you do not. Using my links will result in an automatic sign in, as long as you are connecting using the DTAC signal. Try it.

On 19/03/2017 at 0:59 PM, mtls2005 said:

Those defaults in the UI will work.

I think the only important variables are Access Point Name = www.dtac.co.th, Dial = *99#

You'll also need to add value, subscribe to a mobile data plan and set-up the WiFi AP details (SSID, security protocol and associated details), and manage on-going monthly use.

Figuring out how to use her phone as an AP might ultimately be simpler? Once set-up (by you: SSID details) it's as simple as a pull-down and click.

I'd prefer for her to learn to use the phone that way. Sadly, even with instructions she writes, she can't manage it. Some people are just not technical enough.

On 19/03/2017 at 5:16 PM, JamJar said:

That can all be done by visiting these pages whilst connected to the Internet via DTAC;

https://my.dtac.co.th/esv/en/myRefill    to top up.

https://my.dtac.co.th/esv/en/remainingBalance Check balances of packages and phone credit.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/products/4g-non-stop.html  Apply packages

It has to be said that DTAC data offerings are quite poor in relation to AIS.

Thank you

It's only for her to use for a month visit. If she/we were going to be there longer I would look at other options. DTAC work OK in our area.

On 19/03/2017 at 2:24 PM, Gary A said:

I have a  Huawei  that is the same or very similar to the one you plan to use. I bought a WiFi receiver for my desktop and have found that it is easier to use than the USB connection. Install the SIM card and the computer immediately sees it. Click on the icon and it asks for the PIN. Input the PIN and click connect, off it goes. My phones work about the same way. I now use a Netgear because the  Huawei  is only 3G. The Netgear works exactly the same way and is 4G.

ADDED - Using the  Huawei or Netgear in WiFi mode requires no settings for the computer other than putting in the password. My laptop sees the signal and after putting in the password, it requires no settings in the computer. Same with the phones.

Hi Gary,

Haven't seen anything form you for quite a while - maybe reading different sections. The tablet end isn't a problem. That is already set up. I just wanted to set the WiFi toy so all she had to do is put in the SIM & turn it on.

Thanks,

Thank you to all those who assisted.

Now I just have to hope this model will work there. Before someone says "they all work everywhere", my Huawei phone doesn't work with Chinese SIMs - yet it is made there. (China Mobile or China Telecom)