Which banks will let a foreigner open a bank account

ok i tried a few banks here on a multi entry non 'o', no WP,  No yellow book

kasikorn i am on a joint account with wife - NO, 

Krungthai Bank,  - NO - WP is required

Krungsri - yes they required certificate of residence from immigration, another guy was in there at the same time no problem, he had also had been refused by other banks

Did anybody else ever try just depositing 50K and got the account fast ?

If that is the only requirement, i have wanted an account for years but never bothered cause everybody's telling me it's hopeless.

Would like to open an account in Hua Hin or Pattaya or Bangkok, as a matter of fact. I don't mind going there.
Saw a website of a Thai girl who is offering assistance for 4000 bath fee. I don't think that's what i want to pay for her help.

I'm on a tourist visa, can deposit 50 or 80 k at once...

Can send in a bit more if required (transfer).
I really want the account so it makes life easier, don't have to carry money always.
Could say i want to transfer money to buy a car there, retirement visa coming up, ...
Can bring a thai girl with me to ask in thai language about it.  Some girls I know are rather shy and don't want to hear the 'no' in banks either..
So I notice they are not keen on the idea. Some girls don't mind though. Still looking to find a girl who has a good friend working in a bank. I guess

that could maybe be helpful. :-)
Think i am supposed to wear a shirt on the day of the request and not a wifebeater.

Any other suggestions ? I read in general that Bangkok Bank is not the worst there is for this kind of thing.

Don't know about other banks. Was wondering if f.e. Citibank wouldn't be more open to the idea, of any Western Bank out there..

Many banks operate independently and things will vary from branch to branch and even by who you speak to.

The thing is to just keep trying, if one says no just go the next. Its no big deal and not embarrasing at all.

My own recommendation would be Kasikorn.

Best of luck. Just keep trying.

On 3/26/2017 at 5:44 AM, haelewyn said:

Any other suggestions ? I read in general that Bangkok Bank is not the worst there is for this kind of thing.

i opened USD and THB accounts at bangkok bank (main branch, silom road) and krungthai (sukhumvit soi 22).  this was using a tourist visa in feb 2016.  i got a form from bangkok bank at their branch at exchange tower (asoke/sukhumvit intersection).  had to take the form to the US embassy and have them 'certify' that my passport was legitimate.  i also had to provide a copy of my apartment rental contract along with a letter from the manager that 'certified' the rental contract was legitimate.  i was able to open all four accounts using the same embassy/apartment certifications.  i ended up at the bangkok bank, silom branch as that is where all their foreign currency accounts are held. 

Any other solutions available for farang ? Like prepaid Mastercard / Maestro or any card that is widely accepted ? I guess not. Otherwise many people would have one.

Thanks for info, will give the account a try when i am there.

Edited by haelewyn
addition

16 minutes ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

Farang isn't derogatory...farangs who cannot speak Thai only THINK it is.

so i think you maybe suggesting that i cannot speak Thai

you are correct   just nit noi    but i do wow laos

• 2 months later...

Went to Bangkok Bank Soi 11 - Told I need a work permit. Same story Bangkok Bank on Sukhumvit Road - Went to the Asoke Montri Branch on Soi 21 and was given a form to take to the US Embassy to have notarized - You must make an appointment online for the Embassy and PRINT the confirmation or you will be turned away - No pictures at the embassy - even from the sidewalk - they take your phone when checking in - Pay 1,800 Baht !! ($50 US) to our ridiculously corrupt US government to put a stamp on the papers and then motorcycle taxi back to Asoke Bangkok Bank Branch - Took about 30 minutes including transferring US notes - 900 Baht for debit card ;( and I was out the door with a free rugby shirt as a gift and a fresh ATM card - They told me they could NOT open a Internet banking account without a work permit but that I would still be able to transfer money from overseas into this account via Transferwise. All in all a little epic just to start a bank account but glad I got it done - As many are aware perhaps the most frustrating part can be schlepping around the city at 90 degrees and 80% humidity trying to find a bank that will actually do what they are supposed to... Gets hot! LOL - Just for point of reference I will be going back to the 2 branches that denied me to give them a piece of my mind for the benefit (hopefully) of everyone that comes behind me - Other comments seem spot on - depends of the laziness or mood of bank staff which is crazy... Enjoy Thailand! 

Edited by StingLikeABee
Spelling

23 hours ago, StingLikeABee said:

Went to Bangkok Bank Soi 11 - Told I need a work permit. Same story Bangkok Bank on Sukhumvit Road - Went to the Asoke Montri Branch on Soi 21 and was given a form to take to the US Embassy to have notarized - You must make an appointment online for the Embassy and PRINT the confirmation or you will be turned away - No pictures at the embassy - even from the sidewalk - they take your phone when checking in - Pay 1,800 Baht !! ($50 US) to our ridiculously corrupt US government to put a stamp on the papers and then motorcycle taxi back to Asoke Bangkok Bank Branch - Took about 30 minutes including transferring US notes - 900 Baht for debit card ;( and I was out the door with a free rugby shirt as a gift and a fresh ATM card - They told me they could NOT open a Internet banking account without a work permit but that I would still be able to transfer money from overseas into this account via Transferwise. All in all a little epic just to start a bank account but glad I got it done - As many are aware perhaps the most frustrating part can be schlepping around the city at 90 degrees and 80% humidity trying to find a bank that will actually do what they are supposed to... Gets hot! LOL - Just for point of reference I will be going back to the 2 branches that denied me to give them a piece of my mind for the benefit (hopefully) of everyone that comes behind me - Other comments seem spot on - depends of the laziness or mood of bank staff which is crazy... Enjoy Thailand! 

i might have missed it somewhere but what type of entry do you have ?  visa exempt or tourist visa ?  is the bangkok bank branch you mention the one in exchange tower at intersection of sukhumvit/asoke or further up asoke.  i went to the one in the exchange tower (with tourist visa) and got the form, went to embassy, but ended up opening the account at their head office on silom rd as i wanted a foreign currency account also (and those are held at the silom office).

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2017 at 5:05 PM, rickudon said:

This all changed about 2 years ago - mainly due to the USA international requirements on declaring overseas bank accounts. Have a lot more forms to sign now and have to keep track of you in case the Yanks come calling with questions. So they do not want these Farangs any more as too much trouble. It is not the only country which has made opening (or keeping open) bank accounts harder recently.

the law is called FATCA; thailand resisted for a couple years then the thai govt caved in; americans abroad now have to fill in W9s when opening accounts, there are added requirements for the banks as regards americans; this puts americans' heads above water and visible to the american IRS which means americans now have to file FBAR as well as declare internationally-sourced interest of their income tax returns ;

whether those W9s are actually forward to the usa is anyone's guess