Availability Of Laptop With Twin Processors

JAS21

We come to live in Thailand next month.

I am looking to get a new laptop. Have seen Dell Inspiration 9400 (2*1.83) etc in the UK price about £750 but guess will drop after xmas.

Whats the availability in Thailand of this or simular please?. Can you shop online? What is the price comparrison please?

Wondering wether to buy in the Uk

Thanks

I am looking to get a new laptop. Have seen Dell Inspiration 9400 (2*1.83) etc in the UK price about £750 but guess will drop after xmas.

Whats the availability in Thailand of this or simular please?. Can you shop online? What is the price comparrison please?

Thanks

Dell only sells to businesses in Thailand. Buy it in the UK if you want the Dell.

Other than that, prices are generally comparable in Thailand and tend to go up/down dependent on currency exchange rates more than anything else. So if you compare the price here to the price in pounds in the UK, sometimes the UK will be cheaper, sometimes Thailand. Only exception is Apple/Mac where you are always better off buying back home.

For a sample of prices, check www.Acer.co.th - any Acer dealer will get you the list prices there or better (not much better though, we are talking a few thousand baht max.

I would personally recommend thinkpads at this time:

http://www-8.ibm.com/lenovoinfo/th/noteboo...nkpad/z-series/

I have had 3 Acers over the years - the quality of the budget line is basically crap, business is a lot better but still not as rock-solid as I would have expected. Thanks to my experience with a budget TravelMate 4600 I can say that service in Thailand is excellent to outstanding though :o

I still would prefer better quality at the end of the day....

Edited by nikster

Dells sells to end users in Thailand too, but the choice is extremely limited compared to the US/UK. You could probably get service for a laptop purchaed in the UK, but the problem will be spare parts, since Dell here only stocks parts for models sold here.

There are tons of other brands sold here, and for mid-to-low range models the prices are comparable, or perhaps even cheaper.

BTW, it's not "twin" processors, it's "dual-core", in that you get a single "chip" but it has two "cores".

Dells sells to end users in Thailand too, but the choice is extremely limited compared to the US/UK. You could probably get service for a laptop purchaed in the UK, but the problem will be spare parts, since Dell here only stocks parts for models sold here.

There are tons of other brands sold here, and for mid-to-low range models the prices are comparable, or perhaps even cheaper.

BTW, it's not "twin" processors, it's "dual-core", in that you get a single "chip" but it has two "cores".

Thank you all for your comments..gues I will wait until we get there mid Jan.

Firefox..thank you for correcting my terminology..I did realise that fact..I've been told that that the 'quad-core' chips are due out the end of 2007...correct?

I just want a quick laptop..I dont game...I just don't like waiting...but I have to sometimes on broadband in BK!!

I'll look around and then ask for some views in a few weeks. Got my Multi entry O renewed last week , so here we come to our BK house.......yippee.

Thanks

Guys

Actually quad-cores for desktops are already available. Because notebooks usually lag desktops by around 6-12 months, it will probably be available in notebooks at that time. It doesn't matter if you game or not... a dual-core will help in multitasking, meaning that you won't wait as one program does its thing. Graphics and multimedia also benefit.

• 4 weeks later...
Actually quad-cores for desktops are already available. Because notebooks usually lag desktops by around 6-12 months, it will probably be available in notebooks at that time. It doesn't matter if you game or not... a dual-core will help in multitasking, meaning that you won't wait as one program does its thing. Graphics and multimedia also benefit.

I can't find anything like this advertised in Thailand, UK price is £848. Am I looking in the wrong place please. I really want a large screen 17.. Can you advise is simular spec available in Thailand and price please

Operating systemProcessor

Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology with Intel® CoreTM 2 Duo Processor T5500 (1.66GHz 2MB L2 Cache 667Mhz FSB)

Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

Memory

1024MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2 x 512MB)

Monitor

17" Wide Screen XGA (1440x900)

Harddrive

120GB SATA Hard Drive (5,400rpm)

Optical Drive

Internal 8x DVD+/-RW Drive

Graphic Card

ATI MobilityTM  Radeon® X1400 256MB HyperMemory®

Modem

56K Data Fax Modem

Thanks

Dell only sells to businesses in Thailand. Buy it in the UK if you want the Dell.

Other than that, prices are generally comparable in Thailand and tend to go up/down dependent on currency exchange rates more than anything else. So if you compare the price here to the price in pounds in the UK, sometimes the UK will be cheaper, sometimes Thailand. Only exception is Apple/Mac where you are always better off buying back home.

For a sample of prices, check www.Acer.co.th - any Acer dealer will get you the list prices there or better (not much better though, we are talking a few thousand baht max.

I would personally recommend thinkpads at this time:

http://www-8.ibm.com/lenovoinfo/th/noteboo...nkpad/z-series/

I have had 3 Acers over the years - the quality of the budget line is basically crap, business is a lot better but still not as rock-solid as I would have expected. Thanks to my experience with a budget TravelMate 4600 I can say that service in Thailand is excellent to outstanding though :o

I still would prefer better quality at the end of the day....

things i look for when buying a laptop apart from CPU memory etc

screen size and capability, and very important ........ graphics card and upgradability

one limiting factor with laptops and keeping up with the latest software releases ............graphics ability

an onboard integrated intel graphics card simply doesn't cut it..........very budget system and limited use, after a year all, but useless

Dell have great spec machines with state of the art graphics engines

If you're worried about screen size it might be an idea to buy yourself a laptop with a good graphics card and a 15.4" screen. Most laptops will allow you to have a second screen attached and you can usually have a different virtual display on each screen so you could buy a 17" or 19" LCD display when you arrive in Thailand and have a different picture on each screen.