Cert of Residence at Patong

Be aware that you now need 2 photos per application for a 'Certificate of Residence' from Patong Immigration Office.

I had previously (about 1 month ago) been handed information from the Tourist Police volunteer lady there that indicated photos were not required.

I applied for 2 Certificates of Residence (one for car and one for motorbike licence renewals) yesterday (23rd March at around 2:30pm).

The lady (not at all helpful and with the worst 'customer service' attitude I have ever experienced) who completed the paperwork asked me for 1,000baht as she gave me the 'Certificates of Residence'. I knew that this is a free service and so flatly replied "No" and walked out of the office.

I have a friend who recently paid 300baht 'tip' for a Certificate of Residence...and no receipt was given.

If the staff at Immigration offices want to improve their image they must begin to understand that 'long term' ex-pats as well as Tourists come to their island and spend the money here that keeps them in a job... they need customer service training and to stop trying to gouge foreign visitors for 'tips'.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

This must be new.

I've never seen a "foreign volunteer police" officer at Patong Immi.

Only the Thai guy lately who screens your paperwork at the entrance.

She has been there for ages and is a very large pain in the proverbial!!!!!

She is the main reason I would rather drive to Phuket town imm. off. 

when i live in Patong.

Edited by phuketjock
addition

4 hours ago, phuketjock said:

She has been there for ages and is a very large pain in the proverbial!!!!!

She is the main reason I would rather drive to Phuket town imm. off. 

when i live in Patong.

Just to be clear it wasn't the Tourist Police Volunteer lady who asked for the 'tip'... but she was the one who gave me the original information which was wrong... she initially claimed she hadn't and said she had been on vacation recently... but I was VERY clear it was her because she is so distinctive...

Also the volunteer lady made no attempt to back me up in my refusal to pay 1,000 baht 'tip' for the free service... other people may have had a better experience !!

I was charged 500 Baht for a Residence Certificate at the Patong office.  The Patong office is much closer to where I live, but I prefer going to the Phuket Town office as a Residence Certificate is only 300 Baht there.   The 40% discount I get at the Phuket Town office is worth the extra distance ;-) .

I was once charged 100 Baht for filing a 90-Day Report at the Patong office.  I have come to the conclusion that the convenience of going to the Patong office is simply not worth it to me.

The immigration volunteer at Patong has been helpful to me both at Patong and Phuket Town.  She has always treated me well and I appreciate her efforts.  I enjoy talking with her.

Edited by skatewash

In Chiang Mai they have invented a different approach.  They only do the letters in a month, yes put in the paperwork and a month later you can pick it up, but it is free!  If you need it done in one day there is a shop next door that will charge you 500 baht, and then you pick it up the next day.  I wonder how that works???

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, geriatrickid said:

You have both a legal and a moral obligation to report corrupt officials.

The beloved and much respected  leader of Thailand , General Prayut has stated this. Please respect  the rules in place to protect you. 

I don't know where and to whom I should report the incident...

I don't know where and to whom I should report the incident...

Office of Permanent Secretary

Office of the Prime Minister

P.O. Box 1111

Bankgok

Alternatively, by email to [email protected] or to the ombudsman on

http://www.ombudsman.go.th/10/eng/index1.asp

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

had 2 certificates done there as had my gf, never paid one baht for it in Patong. Same for 90  day reports and for extensions for my Cambodian gf's passport

yes, the Volunteer can be hard to deal with ( until she knows you)  but the tourists she has to deal with would drive any one crazy,

You couldn't pay me to do what she does for free