Week's Scuba Holiday From Bkk?

anais

Hello,

My dive buddy is coming from the US in late February or early May and I'd like to book a 5 or 6 day dive holiday. Not interested in a liveaboard but rather someplace that we can fly to from BKK. I've been to Sipadan and Kapalai so that's a possibility but what else do you recommend in Asia?

I've got pretty high standards (Koh Tao won't cut it) in terms of marine diversity and good viz, as my first dive was the Drop-Off at Sipadan. (Spoiled for life!)

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Sounds like you won't be doing the Similans then.

Hin Daeng/Hin Muang is accessible from Krabi. Early May is whale shark season btw.

Would you do muck?

Bali [North, early may is good], Manado/Lembeh etc.

Or alternative to Sipadan - Derawan/Maratua/Nabucco/Sangalaki. All good.

Further away, Maldives.

All land-based diving.

As adad mentioned Indonesia is probably your best bet... Manado and Bunaken have amazing walls some of the best in the world, and dives are very reasonable and professional, can be a bit quiet on Bunaken though. Bali I've never tried but obviously much more lively than Sulawesi. But... how about diving in Komodo National Park? I was there a year or two back and it was really amazing lots of different divesites including Cannibal Rock. Obviously you'll be around Komodo a lot so a good chance to see the dragons.

try these: www.reefseekers.net and www.twofishdivers.com

have a great time.

Edited by ourmanflint

If you have the money, you may think about Micronesia. I've dived at Kosrae. It was amazing. The other islands I here are amazing too. My sister lived there for 2 years in the Peace Corp and says its the best diving she has ever dove. But it can be quite expensive.

Have a fun trip!