Two Korean teens drown in Tak river

webfact

Two Korean teens drown in Tak river

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

TAK: -- Police in Tak in Thailand's north west said that two South Korean teenagers drowned in the Moei River yesterday.

After the cave visit they went to the river where they joined Karen villagers playing in the water by a riverside beach. Police said there were swirling waters at that point and two tourists got into difficulty.

Found dead by Petchkasem Foundation medics were 15 year old Jo Sei Jin and Chawei Jee Hyon, 16.

The dead teens were taken to a local hospital before transfer to Mae Sot Hospital.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-30

This is an endemic problem in Korea. I worked there for five years and my school opened up on to Silver Sand Beach on Namhae Island. 

It's a stunning beach with a smooth very gently sloping sandy bottom blocked by a couple of big rocks 200m or so away and tucked into a little cove. No waves, undertow currents, it was as calm as calm could be...always.

None of the students I taught could swim. All were terrified of the water. I would see Koreans sitting on the sand some 5 meters from the water wearing life jackets. All day!

The fact this happened does not surprise me at all. 

I recall one day when a young boy, maybe 4 or so, was in a little blow up dinghy and he floated out a little further than the waders. He was crying. His parents were standing ankle deep yelling for him to paddle in and the lifeguard was on his phone calling the cops for help. I walked out and the water got to about my shoulders. I pulled the dinghy back to shore. The parents were thankful and watched as I seriously grossed out the "lifeguard".