QUICK tires - GR201 and DM1131 - any experiences?

nikotin

Hi guys,

i am looking for new tires  for my KLX250.

Anybody has experience with the named QUICK tires? GR201 and DM1131

I recently started to ride alot of dirt where knobbies are really needed,but of course have to go alot on tarmac to get to the trails...

I have Mitas E09 at the moment and i love the rear,front is not aggressive enough,BUT way to expensive(3500rear,3800(dakar version)!! front) for how long the last,so looking for a cheaper solution.

I had irc before but they were a real nightmare on tarmac,too soft and i was told QUICK is supposed to be much harder compound!

Any input much appriciated.!

thx guys

Edited by nikotin

Have you considered Vee Rubber?  A really underrated tire in my opinion.  I recently tested their VRM - 163 against the Heidenau K60 scout at twice the price.  The Vee Rubber was better on road and matched the K60 off.

Many are put off because they are cheaper than the usual brands. They do a VRM-236 which is a 70-30 off road tire, or there abouts

As for the Mitas e07, they kill the k60 scouts!

VRM236-2.jpg

Edited by BBJ
  • Like 1

I recently changed both my tires to IRC enduro,s. They are a softer rubber , but still look like new after 800KM. I tried to get a Quick for the rear for the longer life , and possibly a IRC or a VEE for a front but the sizes / tread didnt suit.   An IRC or VEE , with its softer rubber , may give more grip on tarmac , than a harder Quick , but remember , none will grip as well on ( wet ) tarmac as the origional IRC dual sports. The IRC,s were about 1900 - rear and 1600 - front , IIRC. Good luck.

Have you thought about a E-9/E-10 or Shinko 708 

I was intent on getting the VeeRubber that BBJ is always praising - and ended up with e-07 - so i'm glad he rates the mitas over k60's 

I just received my new boots from 29tire today, I'm well happy. 

IMG_4852.JPG

10 hours ago, BBJ said:

Have you considered Vee Rubber?  A really underrated tire in my opinion.  I recently tested their VRM - 163 against the Heidenau K60 scout at twice the price.  The Vee Rubber was better on road and matched the K60 off.

Many are put off because they are cheaper than the usual brands. They do a VRM-236 which is a 70-30 off road tire, or there abouts

As for the Mitas e07, they kill the k60 scouts!

VRM236-2.jpg

Hi,thx for reply!

Had a look at VEE and the VRM-236 is only available in 16".

The VRM-122 does look intresting if the price is right

.vee_rubber_vrm122.jpg.c4ffddf885fc19f2c3819e79ac7fd459.jpg

7 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

I recently changed both my tires to IRC enduro,s. They are a softer rubber , but still look like new after 800KM. I tried to get a Quick for the rear for the longer life , and possibly a IRC or a VEE for a front but the sizes / tread didnt suit.   An IRC or VEE , with its softer rubber , may give more grip on tarmac , than a harder Quick , but remember , none will grip as well on ( wet ) tarmac as the origional IRC dual sports. The IRC,s were about 1900 - rear and 1600 - front , IIRC. Good luck.

Hi.Thx.

Which IRC Enduros u have?

I had the VE35 and VE33 and i hated them...i think they were shit on any surface but the ultra loose stuff.

If u want another set i can sell u mine...18"+21" ridden around 100 km for half the price...pn if intrested.

I think gonna try the VEE VRM-122 if the price is right.

6 hours ago, recom273 said:

Have you thought about a E-9/E-10 or Shinko 708 

I was intent on getting the VeeRubber that BBJ is always praising - and ended up with e-07 - so i'm glad he rates the mitas over k60's 

I just received my new boots from 29tire today, I'm well happy. 

IMG_4852.JPG

Hi and thx.

I am riding the E09 at the moment.fantastic tire..but a set is over 7k and they rear one is wearing really fast..so i am looking for something cheaper.

E07 was on the list before,but i really need something more aggressive offroad.

1 hour ago, nikotin said:

Hi and thx.

I am riding the E09 at the moment.fantastic tire..but a set is over 7k and they rear one is wearing really fast..so i am looking for something cheaper.

E07 was on the list before,but i really need something more aggressive offroad.

Ahh - Sorry, I thought you said you had the 07's already.

Where did you get the tyres? I was going to get a set of 10's this week, so I spent a bit of time talking to 29tire. Although the e-9/e-10 look the same tyre, The e-10 are a slightly more aggressive tyre, with a bit more meat.

The Dakar model, signified by a yellow stripe, have another couple of layers which give a firmer profile and increased resistance to punctures along with a harder compound.

They suggested to me to use a 09 on the front and a 10 Dakar on the rear, in the end I got a set of e-07 with a Dakar on the rear to provide a bit of longevity.

I didn't really come to give advice on tyre model, just really to say how blown away I was with 29tire, you could try giving them a call and explaining your situation and see what he suggests, really impressive service.

I would also guess he would have no problems telling you where you could get the quick boots too.

Edited by recom273

19 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Ahh - Sorry, I thought you said you had the 07's already.

Where did you get the tyres? I was going to get a set of 10's this week, so I spent a bit of time talking to 29tire. Although the e-9/e-10 look the same tyre, The e-10 are a slightly more aggressive tyre, with a bit more meat.

The Dakar model, signified by a yellow stripe, have another couple of layers which give a firmer profile and increased resistance to punctures along with a harder compound.

They suggested to me to use a 09 on the front and a 10 Dakar on the rear, in the end I got a set of e-07 with a Dakar on the rear to provide a bit of longevity.

I didn't really come to give advice on tyre model, just really to say how blown away I was with 29tire, you could try giving them a call and explaining your situation and see what he suggests, really impressive service.

Hi,no worries 555

E07 is a fantastic tire after all reviews i have read so far(alot!!) and u going to get a lot of milage out of the so the price is ok on them.

With the E09 and E10 the opposite is the case...the E09 is the more agressive tire.

I am goin to try to get a set of the VEE Rubber VRM-122....looks like a rebranded michelin t63.

I ordered my mitas tires here in CM at cnx moto gear,very good service...

PS...big downside of the dakar version: you wont be able to change/fix the tire on your own....it needed 3 people to get the front tire on and the had a machine!!

Edited by nikotin

1 minute ago, nikotin said:

Hi,no worries 555

E07 is a fantastic tire after all reviews i have read so far(alot!!) and u going to get a lot of milage out of the so the price is ok on them.

With the E09 and E10 the opposite is the case...the E09 is the more agressive tire.

I am goin to try to get a set of the VEE Rubber VRM-122....looks like a rebranded michelin t63.

I ordered my mitas tires here in CM at cnx moto gear,very good service...

Ok - lol - 9 or 10?? I don't know, the thing was one model in a Dakar wasn't available in the right size for the Versys rear. 

I was happy to go with BBJ's reccomendation on VeeRubber, but a lot of Thai shops weren't so complimentary when I was searching for stock.

Cheers now.

1 minute ago, recom273 said:

Ok - lol - 9 or 10?? I don't know, the thing was one model in a Dakar wasn't available in the right size for the Versys rear. 

I was happy to go with BBJ's reccomendation on VeeRubber, but a lot of Thai shops weren't so complimentary when I was searching for stock.

Cheers now.

I think u made the wright choice and going to be happy with the tires.

I would stick with mitas if they would not be that expensive.

thx and cheers

nictin , i think we have met and had a chat in a " Honda" spares shop last month ( you were after a front fender ) , where you offered me your IRC VE 33 / 35,s then.    If you remember me i am running IRC VE 33,s on a supermotard which was in the car park.. Look at the depth of the tread on the Quick GR 201 , that is the same depth of tread on the IRC 33,s. Its quite deep. The tread depth on the VEE VRM 122 looks shallower.  This may feel more stable / surefooted for you on the road. You say you didnt like the feeling of the 33,s on tarmac. With deeper treads , they can squirm and move about on tarmac.  Ride safe.

25 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

nictin , i think we have met and had a chat in a " Honda" spares shop last month ( you were after a front fender ) , where you offered me your IRC VE 33 / 35,s then.    If you remember me i am running IRC VE 33,s on a supermotard which was in the car park.. Look at the depth of the tread on the Quick GR 201 , that is the same depth of tread on the IRC 33,s. Its quite deep. The tread depth on the VEE VRM 122 looks shallower.  This may feel more stable / surefooted for you on the road. You say you didnt like the feeling of the 33,s on tarmac. With deeper treads , they can squirm and move about on tarmac.  Ride safe.

Yeah,thats me 555

Offer still stands if u want to ride one day!

I was thinking with harder compound the "squirming" would not be so much...

But i have a real good feeling for the VEEs...the look exactly like a michelin t63..so i am goin to give them a try...mitas still good but i want to be prepared as took a long time last time i needed tires.

see you and cheers

Sometimes , in Thailand , you have to buy the tires you can get , which arent always the tires you want. If i could have got a Quick GR 201 in the correct rear size i would have , thinking it would be harder wearing.  I couldnt , so i got  IRC 33. Seems to be holding up well so far , but it squirms on the road. This is not a complaint of the tire as its designated as a enduro tire and so handles better off-road than on tarmac - as you said. The harder compound of the Quick tires may squirm about less , but so will the shallower tread of the VEE VRM 122. My 33,s were 1500 front , 1900 rear. New tubes were 200 each. With the VEE,s about the same price your  not gambling too much money. Sometimes you have to try a few different ones before you find " the one " that suits you. Bit like girlfriends.  555.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Update on tire experiences:

my opinion

First try:

IRC Enduro VE33 and VE35

If you want to go longer distances on tarmac to the trail,just forget them,i was scared for my life on the road and changed them after only 1 week

Good Tires in the dirt with low pressures

Second try:

MITAS E-09 rear and E-10 front,i bought the E-10 only because thy hadnt stock of the E-09 front

E-09 rear,fantastic!Can ride fast on the road and has tons of traction in the dirt(low pressures of course) only downside for me was the price: 3500 baht and after 2500 km completely gone

E-10 front really good on the road but not aggressive enough in the dirt while cornering or goin steep downhills the tire would just wash out,but i think the E-09 front is really good but costs even more at 3900 baht cause its the so called dakar version with stronger sidewalls or something for bigger enduro bikes,really hard to get it in rim,the tire shop needed three people to put it on.so if you plan on changing tubes on the way i would forget it

Third try and final solution:

Quick tires GR201 and DM1131

Any thai mechanic can get them everywhere

Harder compound,so if its like really really dry and you ride fast on hard packed clay or something they goin to be alittle slippery,but that for me is the only downside.

They grip well enough to still have fun in the twisties(dry conditions) at 26psi on the way to the trail and than go on a hardcore enduro trail at14 psi.....and they are cheap,the set front and rear around 3000 baht

Hope that helped somebody!