Legislation on Volunteer Work

Hi,

I'm starting this topic because I can't find answers to my questions on the forum, and keep having different answers from people I ask around...

So here is the thing regarding volunteering in Thailand:

- There is a Volunteer Visa: non-imm O. Great thing. Allows you to stay one year in the kingdom and benefit from work-visa. I costs 22.500bht for a year (taxes) and I've heard that you can even have one only valid for 6 months for cheaper: (of course you have to ask the cost of the visa itself (80USD), plus extensions, plus other documents).

- BUT : there are so many projects everywhere in thailand, especially up north around chiang mai, that depend on volunteer help (exemple work-away and wooff). It's usually shorter periods, more like 2 to 4 weeks I guess. I am wondering what the law has to say about that. Is it legal to have non registered volunteers work on a project for a short period of time? I asked the question to the people that run WWoof Thailand and they tell me you can have volunteers for up to 30 or 60 days (which doesn't sound like a clear and precise answer to me).

Anyone has legal insight on the matter?

Thanks

First of all a Non Immigrant visa based on volunteering costs 3000 baht at a consulate outside Thailand, this gives you 90 days permission to stay.
You will get it with paperwork from the NGO where you wish to volunteer.

Then the work permit will cost 3800 baht, DO NOT VOLUNTEER WITHOUT WORK PERMIT.
Maximum penalty is five years in prison but normally 100.000 baht fine, deportation and blacklisting.

With WP and paperwork from the NGO you go to immigration and apply for 1 year extension of stay for 1900 baht.

Serious NGO do not ask for 22.500 baht, it's a scam and you might end up in jail.

30 to 60 days, probably illegal as it takes time and effort to get the WP.
WP is also for one organisation and one place of work, you can not move around.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

47 minutes ago, TerryLH said:

"Maximum penalty is five years in prison but normally 100.000 baht fine, deportation and blacklisting."

Has anyone ever been given either 5 years in prison or 100k fine, deportation and blacklisted?

Agree that Poorsucker's answer is not really the way it normally works out.

But he is correct in the main thing: somebody claiming they can have volunteers for 30 to 60 days is simply lying.

"Maximum penalty is five years in prison but normally 100.000 baht fine, deportation and blacklisting."

Has anyone ever been given either 5 years in prison or 100k fine, deportation and blacklisted?

100.000 baht fine, deportation and blacklisted happened here on Samui.
Guy rented out houses and collecting rent, one of the tenants did not want to pay and reported him to immigration.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app