Road death toll falls during first two days of Songkran but accidents increase

webfact

Reading the news, it all sounds promising, but will it last?

Presently, I live in the city of Ubon. Many motorcyclists are not abiding by the law!

The thing that gets me is, the Police simply do nothing about it.

Once again, they play there trumpet very loud but as always, the tune is off key. Much the same as mostly everything, in the land of smiles...

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

4 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

I do hope you are right,and i agree with your comments before,i just cannot see it being implimented,the first step i agree no one can purchase a car ,bike without a licence ,but i had a young 14 year old boy overtake me at about 80km down a small soi,on a bend,no way could he see if anything was coming,so the parents must be held accountable,the bike seized and a large fine for them,as some one suggested before,all this guff about oh they are to poor,forget that,ignorance of the law,or poverty have no bearing on the deliverance of the law in my opinion.

Yes its a fine line no doubt. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. If all laws were strictly enforced in Thailand the economy would come to a standstill especially the sex trade. I think this is why the government takes a hap hazard approach to things. 

Yes its a fine line no doubt. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. If all laws were strictly enforced in Thailand the economy would come to a standstill especially the sex trade. I think this is why the government takes a hap hazard approach to things. 

Safety first in my opinion. The economy is what it is mainly because of greed, lack of education and investing in people coupled with lazy, carefree attitudes. To gain respect, it must be worked at. To be something, a person needs to work at being someone. But sadly, it's very much a case of, UP TO ME! I can do what I like! If these people want to be considered civilised, they should act in a civil and law abiding way, and not like red neck, bush people, with a lack of awareness to what is really going on.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

These are good figures. Mortality rate very low.

No it's not. The mortality rate is very high, its just a little lower than previous years.

This is all part of the problem - accepting that 50 deaths a day is good is all wrong. It may be an improvement but good?

1 hour ago, pentap said:

If these people want to be considered civilised,

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They don't and will never care ;

they are thai, living in Thailand;

the rest of the world doesn't exist ...

The first time in ten years I'm living here I was on the roads with my MTBike ; yesterday and today , during songkhran days;

the last 9 years I stayed at home, don't like so much iced water in the face and drunken drivers..

many cars, minibuses, big buses and all at excessive speed, much more than 90 km/h ..

a few big trucks nearly 100% tankers ..

What I saw for the first time on rd 22, this morning

33214542773_7ef1e8723d_b.jpg

I saw this rd mark but never saw the radar nor a police car during 4 or 5 hours..

Cannot understand thai police;

if they want to make money it's so easy...

maybe they are enough rich, don't want more ...?

9 hours ago, mrfill said:

No it's not. The mortality rate is very high, its just a little lower than previous years.

This is all part of the problem - accepting that 50 deaths a day is good is all wrong. It may be an improvement but good?

OP said 48 v's 116 for the same period last year. One death is not good but the saving of over 50% is a better result. They have to start somewhere and continue with the program. What's ur solution?

2 hours ago, diehard60 said:

there are no check points in the rural areas of thailand.

Wrong  ;

For example, there is a checkpoint on cross roads 2021/4039 - Sakon Nakhon province - which is not a main road ; main roads have one or two  numbers .

and there are checkpoints in the entrance of every village on asphalt, concrete and red roads..

Unfortunatly, these checkpoints are deserted when the sun sets ...:post-4641-1156693976:

" when the cat's away, the mice will play "

Edited by Assurancetourix

On 4/14/2017 at 8:16 AM, SABloke said:

Am I blind or is there not a total deaths figure in the article? It seems a bit of an amateurish attempt if one makes a comparison, but doesn't compare numbers. :unsure:

Or maybe the information was omitted on purpose, because last year had 115 deaths. >_>

You and a few others seem to have missed the thread regarding these figures. You'll find them at.

Have a safe day everyone.

Edited by Moonlover

On 4/14/2017 at 5:29 AM, webfact said:

As for the Drink Don’t Drive campaign against road accidents, the latest number for 12 April 2017 which is the first day of the campaign shows 32,782 cases of motorcycle riders, and 287,337 cases among bus and car drivers were driving under the influence of alcohol. 

These figures are horrifying. What ever else we might say about this campaign, (and I too have been critical sometimes) catching these drunken idiots and preventing them from proceeding must have saved some lives.

But one thing greatly disturbs me. In the next paragraph, the Nation reported that 1,498 licences had been confiscated!

With so many drunk drivers, why so few confiscations?

On 4/14/2017 at 4:16 AM, webfact said:

A source at Transport Co Ltd said 10,000 travellers were stranded for hours at Bangkok’s Mo Chit Bus Terminal on Wednesday night, despite the company increasing bus trips to 2,687 for the holiday. The problem was caused by a strike by privatelyrun buses reportedly against NCPO-backed traffic regulations, especially a requirement for all passengers to wear seat belts. 

Cancel their operators licence.

What's the point of having an authoritative government if they cannot be authoritative?

I say again. Cancel their operators licence.

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Wrong  ;

For example, there is a checkpoint on cross roads 2021/4039 - Sakon Nakhon province - which is not a main road ; main roads have one or two  numbers .

and there are checkpoints in the entrance of every village on asphalt, concrete and red roads..

Unfortunatly, these checkpoints are deserted when the sun sets ...:post-4641-1156693976:

My wife comes from Sakon Nakhon and we visit there frequently. She has commented that far more motorcyclists wear helmets as apposed to Udon Thani, where we live. And the comment you make about rural check points is encouraging.

Unfortunately though this hasn't stopped Sakon Nakhon from having the highest death rate so far: (See below)

But, at only 5 deaths, that in itself is encouraging. Knowing the behaviour in and around my wife's village, I'd have expected 5 from there alone!

Stay safe.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/songkran-death-toll-now-claims-167-lives-1795-injuries-three-days/

You and a few others seem to have missed the thread regarding these figures. You'll find them at.

Have a safe day everyone.

I've seen the other threads, but the OP is an independently published article...or do you think news agencies just publish stories for the TV brigade these days :huh::lol: :lol:

16 minutes ago, SABloke said:

I've seen the other threads, but the OP is an independently published article...or do you think news agencies just publish stories for the TV brigade these days :huh::lol::lol:

SABloke, I had noted that you and two others had commented that the death figures were not reported in these lead stories, which is true.

I was simply trying to be helpful, that's all. :smile:

Have a nice day.

Edited by Moonlover

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

These figures are horrifying. What ever else we might say about this campaign, (and I too have been critical sometimes) catching these drunken idiots and preventing them from proceeding must have saved some lives.

But one thing greatly disturbs me. In the next paragraph, the Nation reported that 1,498 licences had been confiscated!

With so many drunk drivers, why so few confiscations?

Maybe no licence to confiscate

On 4/14/2017 at 3:20 AM, kiwikeith said:

The very sad thing is that Thais treat driving with no respect, they don't care about license's, nor do they know the RD rules , let alone obey them.

The crack down should go on full time not just for Songkran, the government needs to toughen up and stay serious.

A nation wide TV education campaign is needed as well, forget about drivers loosing face .

As for drunk driving I see falangs do this all the time as well, I do not condone drunk driving but I know that is like playing Russian roulette in NZ as cops are everywhere and you loose your car as well as license, it has become a no -no to drink drive.

People are to scarred to dare to drive drunk now in NZ, the Rd toll has come down dramatically and even came down more with speed limit reductions during festive periods.

Yet some still drink drive, which is crazy in any country.

what is a falang?

"Falang simplifies the management of multilingual sites - it is much easier to use than the default Joomla! system.  The system allows you to translate all aspects of your site in a dedicated component, element after element, language after language."

Edited by nobU eoJ

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2017 at 7:48 AM, Assurancetourix said:

Wrong  ;

i think you better check again, your info is not really correct. there were no cops out in many ampors in northeast.