Buying a new/used Toyota Hilux or similar

Hi, I'm new to the islands and looking to buy a new or used Toyota Hilux.  I've seen one on Koh Phangan 2003 diesel for sale at 320,000 with 160,000 kms which seems an extortionate price.  Pretty sure it's an ex-rental so who knows what's happened to it over the years ...

Would really appreciate advice from anyone who's either had experience of buying a new car or who could send me in a good direction for a used car.

I've seen some posts on Koh Samui Toyota dealer - not encouraging ...

On top of that, I know next to nothing about cars, just want something solid and reliable that's going to get me through most conditions - including very steep hills and not great roads, & flooding if necessary.

Many thanks

Hi, best bet I think is to head in to Sutatthani and check the used lots. There are about 30-40 along the main road if you turn left at Big C.
Best part about doing it there is they will assist you in changing the ownwership and plates if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Dont always think down of ex-rental cars. Often the ex-rental cars are the best maintained cars, and have always been well serviced. I rent motorbikes here on Samui, and I know my bikes are better cared for and serviced, than 99% of my friends bikes.

Good luck finding a nice car.

Hi - My Dad is looking to sell his Hilux / Vigo due to illness. It's currently on Samui and is great for the roads, hills and floods. Taxed and Type 1 insured about 2 months ago. Gold colour, 4 doors. It is 8 years old. Will have to check price but let me know if interested.

Then you have to register it Suratthani province....

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've bought both second-hand and new car at Samui – have been extremely happy with both; but buying a used car in Thailand is like anywhere else in the World, it can be a "lottery ticket", and you are not guarantied a prize. 

If one can afford it, I would buy a new car – i,e, from Toyota and close to where you live, if Samui then Toyota at Samui, if Koh Phangan then Surat Thani may be an option. You'll benefit from warranty and (excellent) free service.

When buying second hand, especially in Thailand, be prepared to be on your own, you cannot be sure of any guarantee. A car more than 6 years old need inspection every year – which used to be 200 baht for a letter from Dan Auto, but seem like they begin to do a real inspection – before you can have tax and insurance renewed. Second hand cars will for many seem overpriced – labor for maintenance is cheap – but on the other hand, you can also expect a good price for your car, when selling it.

My personal Samui-experience:

Bought a 11-year old Jeep Cherokee, which was supposed to replace the 15k baht/month rented of Suzuki Caribbean Jeep, so with a 2-year calculation – i.e. 15K x 24 = 360k – until I would settle permanent, the 2nd hand price I could negotiate a bit down to 350k baht was Okay. I loved to drive that car, even it was a gas-guzzler, so we lived happily together for little more that 8 years before we separated; i.e. 360/8 = 45k baht/year + minor expenses for various maintenance in average totaling about 15k baht/year or less; that mean average cost of 60k baht/year or 5k baht/month. The best part was when I sold it – an almost 20-year old car, soon due for some serious maintenance – I got 140k baht back in cash; and the buyer was happy...:shock1:

Bought a new Toyota Avanza from Toyota at Samui – could negotiate a minor discount and some extras for free – the price included 1st-year 1st class insurance (worth some 15-18k baht), and free service for the full warranty-period (you pay for oil, liquids and other non-warranty materials). I cannot say yet, because I've only had the new car for some 3½ year, but I think it will end up pretty close to same average annual costs as the 2nd hand car in long term calculation – i.e. 740k buying price minus 250k when when selling it 10-year old, eq. ca. 500k/10y = 50k baht/year + maintenance expenses, which has been totaling 2-3k baht/year so far, so I count 5-10k in long-term average = 55-60k baht/year – but one have the pleasure of driving a new car and less hassle about maintenance...:smile:

Ops, forgot the fuel-savings – from 4.0l to 1.6l engine – can easily buy me a night in town every month...:thumbsup:

• 9 months later...

Archived