Advice needed about which breed of dog(& cat) to adopt

I have recently moved with my Thai partner to a detached bungalow with a very nice and quite large secure garden in the suburbs of Jomtien. We understand the importance of making a commitment with getting a pet.

We are looking to adopt or purchase a dog.

My partner likes the beagle breed but seems to me too many negatives.

We are looking for:

Youngish dog able to be sufficiently trained including house training.

Small to medium size.

Probably short haired. Can be left outside sometimes in the garden on its own without it going hysterical.

Loyal, friendly, and if possible not prone to attacks or illnesses.

Does not need to go on walks for miles and miles.

Little risk it will run away.

Able to do some duties as a guard dog.

I will be very grateful for any suggestions as to what particular breed of dog may be suitable for us here in Thailand?

Likely will get a cat too at the same time so hopefully the 2 can learn to get along.

Any advice generally is welcome about keeping pets here in Thailand . And of course if anyone has any suitable animals available then please contact me.

Many thanks!

my advice for what its worth is to read the dangers of owning a dog in thailand.

there is joy and heartbreak,read my postings will give you some idea what i mean.

meatboy love me love my dog.

I'd recommend visiting an animal shelter to find a suitable dog/cat.

Why worry about a particular breed of dog as you're not already in love with a particular breed?

Rescued mutts are going to be loyal and love you to bits (assuming you treat them well) and mutts generally suffer less health issues.

Beagles, although obviously beautiful dogs and easily groomed dogs are very active.

My brother has a bitch and she is craazzy !!

They were originally bred for hunting so need plenty of exercise otherwise will become overweight and prone to illness.

Any breed of dog needs a good home and you will love him/her just the same whether a pedigree, a mutt or a soi dog.

Visit a shelter and take your time in deciding .

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Beagles, although obviously beautiful dogs and easily groomed dogs are very active.

My brother has a bitch and she is craazzy !!

They were originally bred for hunting so need plenty of exercise otherwise will become overweight and prone to illness.

Any breed of dog needs a good home and you will love him/her just the same whether a pedigree, a mutt or a soi dog.

Visit a shelter and take your time in deciding .

Yes very good advice, thx a lot.

Beagles are out despite what my other half says.

90% sure I will get a dog & cat but certainly I am being very cautious and taking my time.

29 minutes ago, homeseeker said:

Yes very good advice, thx a lot.

Beagles are out despite what my other half says.

90% sure I will get a dog & cat but certainly I am being very cautious and taking my time.

Reminds me of when we first decided we could get a puppy.

Answering an advert (puppies need home), we both agreed that instant decisions were a bad idea - and then I met the remaining puppy and made an instant decision :laugh:.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Hi, would fully recommend looking for a dog from a animal shelter. We adopted a dog from Soi dog, he is great. Not sure of his breed, more like a hienz 57 breed ?. Fully fitted in with out 2 Jack Russells and Rodesian Ridgeback. He is very loyal, loving and in truth is easier to look after, than our other 3 dogs. Great guard dog without being aggresive, or barking too much. Be carefully of hunting breeds of dog. Our Jack Russels kill every snake they find, while these type of dogs are great fun and very active, we scare they will get bitten one day. 

22 hours ago, homeseeker said:

Thanks for the replies.

Meatboy: would like to read your postings on the dangers;do u have link?

Dick d.: Yes good idea I will stick to animal shelters or the like. A mutt will do fine!

there is a topic running now page 1 by avander,BEST DETERRANT PRODUCTS FOR TICKS. 

you will see my posts referring to the dangers with the links.

all of us in this forum love our pets BUT some of it doesnt make good reading.

me and mrs.meat have been together for over 30yrs.and our only child is our beloved dog.

we have dedicated our lives to looking after him 24hrs.a day. we get great joy but much heartache as well.

this is our first since we retired to los.but i was a greyhound trainer in the uk.so most of my life has been with dogs.

if i was to recommend one for loyalty with that bit of meanness it would have to be a BAN KAEW but with any dog it has to be trained and not let to look after itself.

• 2 weeks later...

After considering the replies to my post I visited an animal rescue center yesterday and have adopted "Bobby" photo below.

A puppy who remarkably is able-in my mind- to converse in both English and Thai and he has asked me to thank everyone who has helped to persuade me to look for me.

He will surely have a happy life!

Bobby.jpg

I think it is a "masked South-East Asian Snake killer", but there are here people with more knowledge about dog breeds then I have....
Re thinking, it also looks a bit like the "Siamese coconut retriever"

Not sure, lets wait what others have to say.

Arjen.

He looks to me like a Thiamese Somtum Hound but I'm not 100% sure .

All joking aside he looks a lovely little fella and he is as lucky to have you as you are to have him .

On 3/5/2560 at 4:38 PM, homeseeker said:

After considering the replies to my post I visited an animal rescue center yesterday and have adopted "Bobby" photo below.

A puppy who remarkably is able-in my mind- to converse in both English and Thai and he has asked me to thank everyone who has helped to persuade me to look for me.

He will surely have a happy life!

Bobby.jpg

good luck bobby.

keep him safe HS.