What type of VISA for adult son of a foreigner married to a Thai citizen?

I am married to a Thai citizen and have a spouse visa. My 26 year old son (not my wife's son) is currently living with us as he pursues a new job opportunity abroad. He has already come in and out of Thailand three times on tourist visas and was told the immigration authorities would not allow him to do this again.  He expects to need to remain with us for another 2-4 months.  Can he apply for a visa based on my residency/marriage in Thailand? If yes, what type should he apply for?

If he was 6 years younger he could get an extension as your dependent at immigration.

Has he been getting tourist visa from an embassy or consulate or are you referring to getting a 30 day visa exempt entry as a tourist visa.

If it is 30 day visa exempt entries he can extend those for 30 days at an immigration office.

7 minutes ago, Doisaketdreamer said:

He has been getting 30-day tourist visas at the airport or land crossings.  He needs a solution that would allow him to remain in Thailand for 60-90 days without having to leave.

He has been getting 30 day visa exempt entries. There is no 30 day tourist visa. He could extend his current entry for 30 days at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

If he has done 2 crossing at a land border he has reached the limit for doing them this year. He could fly out and back to get another one.

If he wants to stay longer he could leave and go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get a single entry tourist visa that would allow a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

• Like 1

Thanks for these replies. It appears that there is no visa that corresponds to an adult family member who is temporarily a dependent. His only choice is to vary the route of entry and to apply for a 60-day visa and then a 30-day extension.  Regarding the words "spouse visa",  for my general edification can you tell me what the correct term is?

5 minutes ago, Doisaketdreamer said:

Thanks for these replies. It appears that there is no visa that corresponds to an adult family member who is temporarily a dependent. His only choice is to vary the route of entry and to apply for a 60-day visa and then a 30-day extension.  Regarding the words "spouse visa",  for my general edification can you tell me what the correct term is?

An extension of your permission to stay in the Kingdom on the grounds of marriage to a 

Thai national. More commonly referred to as a marriage extension and easier to remember......

The other common one is an extension of your permission to stay in the Kingdom on the

grounds of retirement, more commonly referred to as a retirement extension.

Sadly to my constant dismay both terms are often misused and ignored to the point of 

causing utter chaos to people trying to glean info here on TV.

I thank you for trying to get it right, cheers.

Edited by phuketjock
addition
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, phuketjock said:

An extension of your permission to stay in the Kingdom on the grounds of marriage to a 

Thai national. More commonly referred to as a marriage extension and easier to remember......

The other common one is an extension of your permission to stay in the Kingdom on the

grounds of retirement, more commonly referred to as a retirement extension.

Sadly to my constant dismay both terms are often misused and ignored to the point of 

causing utter chaos to people trying to glean info here on TV.

I thank you for trying to get it right, cheers.

Fair enough,but when Immigration officers call the 2 extentions of stay Married and Retirement visa,where does that leave us.Common usage has taken over from the correct terms.Immigration has found it easier to refer to the extentions as Married and Retirement,easier for us and them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, louse1953 said:

Fair enough,but when Immigration officers call the 2 extentions of stay Married and Retirement visa,where does that leave us.Common usage has taken over from the correct terms.Immigration has found it easier to refer to the extentions as Married and Retirement,easier for us and them.

I cannot dispute your claim but I can tell you I have been doing retirement extensions and 

90 day reports for the last 10 years at 2 different immigration offices and I have yet to come

across or every hear any I.O. refer to a retirement or marriage extension as a VISA so I would

have to say based on my personal experience your claim is at best flawed.

Is it not better to use the correct terminology when you can or is it better to use the wrong one

because someone else is even if they are wrong??  I suggest the I.O.'s you have come across are

just being lazy, but that does not make them right does it? By following the lazy I.O.s you are also

being lazy and perpetuating the problem for people coming on here to get correct information.

24 minutes ago, villa82 said:

"utter chaos", lol!

Yes it's funny until you are the person getting the duff info!!!!!!!!!

then it becomes not so funny when you have invested much time

and money on the info you thought was good only to find it was

nonsense.          :sad:

19 hours ago, phuketjock said:

Yes it's funny until you are the person getting the duff info!!!!!!!!!

then it becomes not so funny when you have invested much time

and money on the info you thought was good only to find it was

nonsense.          :sad:

I "invested much time" gathering information that I needed to live here in Thailand, and it didn't cost me a penny, Google search is free, as are the websites you would use to find the information you need, so I'm really not sure how or where you would spend any money doing this?

Does using the correct terminology really matter so much when we all know what the poster really means, it's always the usual suspects on here that can't wait to point out "it's not a visa, it's not a visa!!!", who gives a ****!

Oh, and I'm just about to do my fifth marriage visa, yeah that's right, I called it a visa, even though it isn't, but you still know what I'm talking about.

Sorry if I've caused any chaos...

2 hours ago, villa82 said:

Oh, and I'm just about to do my fifth marriage visa, yeah that's right, I called it a visa, even though it isn't, but you still know what I'm talking about.

Yes of course I understand what you mean exactly.... You have went 5 times now to another country - bought yourself a 1 year marriage-VISA at the thai-embassy there...

This is what you said to us..... 

Glegolo

On 4/26/2017 at 11:11 AM, louse1953 said:

I know that discussion of use of the terms "extension" and "visa" can lead to holy wars, so I'll try to traead carefully.

Most Immigrations Officers are not native English speakers.  I think they probably began calling extensions visas from hearing mis-use of the terms by us foreigners.

A Thai employee in a store will universally use the term "finished" to indicate an item is out of stock.  You understand what the employee means, but do you then alter your use of the terms with other native English speakers?  It's the same thing.  I don't think we should necessarily change our proper use of English with each other based on an IO's use of terms in his/her non-native language.

When I first became active on this forum I thought a visa-exempt entry stamp was a "visa on arrival," but then learned that the latter term was a class of visa for residents of certain countries.  I also thought that when I went to apply for a retirement extension that I was getting a Non-Immigrant O-A visa, but I learned the difference.  If *I* can be taught the correct terms, then most (all?) forum users can, too.  Try it , you'll like it!  :biggrin:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

I know that discussion of use of the terms "extension" and "visa" can lead to holy wars, so I'll try to traead carefully.

Most Immigrations Officers are not native English speakers.  I think they probably began calling extensions visas from hearing mis-use of the terms by us foreigners.

A Thai employee in a store will universally use the term "finished" to indicate an item is out of stock.  You understand what the employee means, but do you then alter your use of the terms with other native English speakers?  It's the same thing.  I don't think we should necessarily change our proper use of English with each other based on an IO's use of terms in his/her non-native language.

When I first became active on this forum I thought a visa-exempt entry stamp was a "visa on arrival," but then learned that the latter term was a class of visa for residents of certain countries.  I also thought that when I went to apply for a retirement extension that I was getting a Non-Immigrant O-A visa, but I learned the difference.  If *I* can be taught the correct terms, then most (all?) forum users can, too.  Try it , you'll like it!  :biggrin:

Thank you, Thank You, Thank You. Just when you think all is lost a little bit of sanity/common sense shines through,

you Sir/Madam have made my day.           :thumbsup:        :jap:

3 hours ago, villa82 said:

I "invested much time" gathering information that I needed to live here in Thailand, and it didn't cost me a penny, Google search is free, as are the websites you would use to find the information you need, so I'm really not sure how or where you would spend any money doing this?

Does using the correct terminology really matter so much when we all know what the poster really means, it's always the usual suspects on here that can't wait to point out "it's not a visa, it's not a visa!!!", who gives a ****!

I see. You didn't spend any money or much time but think about someone who has to make 2 or 3 or even 500 km

round trip to get to his required immigration office only to find the info he gleaned from you and people like you 

wasn't quite correct and had to return home that day and re-do all his paperwork and make the same long and

expensive trip to his nearest immigration office . How would you feel about that villa?

When you use the incorrect term marriage VISA it is not a problem for me and others who understand that the

selfish thickos on TV could not give a toss about anyone but themselves and their massive egos, but it can, and

often is, quite a problem for people who DON'T know and NEED to find out. Unfortunately some people are not as

clever as you ( think you are ) or perhaps as well educated.

So please don't try to be a smart a$$ because you are not and some people do give a ****!              :wai:

4 hours ago, villa82 said:

In *many* cases it *doesn't* matter, but when someone with a retirement extension writes that they are from the UK (or USA, Germany, etc) with a one-year Retirement Visa and another poster instinctively thinks ("Ah, a Non-Immigrant O-A visa!") then all hilarity ensues when non-appropriate advice (relating to an O-A visa) contradicts appropriate advice (relating to a retirement extension) in the same thread.

Even before coming to the forum, folks may be confused by friends telling them how they did what they did, some of them on a visa and some of them on an extension, when they all used the term "visa."  The confusion compounds when they ask here, using the wrong term.

Just like there are rules for the highway to provide the smooth, safe, function of traffic -- and you can survive not following those rules -- if one follows the pattern of using the correct/precise terms on the forum they will probably get better, relevant information faster than by using incorrect/ambiguous terms, that's all.

(We're going too far off the thread topic, so I'll stop with this post.)

• Like 1