Tesco's Taste of Thailand fest in UK aims to push Thai export

webfact

Tesco's Taste of Thailand fest in UK aims to push Thai export
By The Nation

Tesco Lotus is hosting the ‘Taste of Thailand’ festival in London to promote Thai products among UK customers

John Christie, CEO of Tesco Lotus, is joined by Sonthirat Sonthijirawong, deputy commerce minister, at the opening ceremony of the Taste of Thailand festival at the Tesco Kensington store in the heart of London to promote a variety of Thai products bearing the Thailand Trust Mark, as well as exotic fruits from Thailand to customers in the UK.

The Thai products will be available at 250 Tesco stores in the UK, giving Thai farmers and businesses an opportunity to reach international markets.

For the past decade, Tesco Lotus has exported a variety of Thai products including fruit, chicken meat, shrimp, groceries, pet food, stationery and toys, to markets in Central Europe and Asia.

In 2016, the value of Thai products exported to Tesco stores in the UK has nearly doubled to more than Bt7.7 billion.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/30313412

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-26

If Tesco would bring in more UK (Tesco) products to it's stores in Thailand the expat community in Thailand would be happy.

Think it would be good for Tesco/Lotus also.

I do wonder, however, if the import tariffs for Thai products in the UK would be as steep as the tariffs for UK products in Thailand.

Don't think so.

But they should be the same......

Edited by hansnl

46 minutes ago, hansnl said:

If Tesco would bring in more UK (Tesco) products to it's stores in Thailand the expat community in Thailand would be happy.

Think it would be good for Tesco/Lotus also.

I do wonder, however, if the import tariffs for Thai products in the UK would be as steep as the tariffs for UK products in Thailand.

Don't think so.

But they should be the same......

That would be a fine thing but, as we all know, the price of the imports to Thailand is  borderline prohibitive. Is that because Thailand fails to honour its obligations under the various free trade agreement or that importers/retailers charge a huge premium ( or a combination of the two)?

Australia has an FTA with Thailand but has just slapped restrictions on Thai copy paper: for dumping, below the cost of production.

Meanwhile a 40 Baht can of spotted dick retails in Bangkok for 200 Baht ( admittedly not the best example)

2 hours ago, Prbkk said:

That would be a fine thing but, as we all know, the price of the imports to Thailand is  borderline prohibitive. Is that because Thailand fails to honour its obligations under the various free trade agreement or that importers/retailers charge a huge premium ( or a combination of the two)?

Australia has an FTA with Thailand but has just slapped restrictions on Thai copy paper: for dumping, below the cost of production.

Meanwhile a 40 Baht can of spotted dick retails in Bangkok for 200 Baht ( admittedly not the best example)

Before someone panics, this is Spotted Dick. Not a medical condition and nothing to do with Pattaya. Quite delicious.

spot.jpg.2d26cf5c7fa6cd73b06d15f7e5dff3b5.jpg

May you be fairly allowed to sell your products in my country, and may we be fairly allowed to sell our products in yours. The key word there being 'fair'. May the best products win. 

'Thailand Trust Mark' - okay, we get it. Easy with all the "trust us" rhetoric when it comes to other cultures. To repeat how good you are can be a red herring in many other cultures. 

Can't they get it through their thick heads that trading fairly between countries is good for all.

Tesco Locus selling UK, USA, Australian goods at reasonable prices would increase their sales and profits whilst being able to sell Thai goods in the reciprocating countries is good for Thai industries and farmers etc.

I would love to be able to buy some Thai products when I'm back home and likewise worldwide goods when I'm in Thailand as would my family members in both countries. 

Trouble is that there are not many British products left to sell, most have been bought up by foreigners, so Thailand I'm sure can offer Thai products, made in Thailand by Thai people, owned by Thais.

Wondering what's British these days ? Certainly not the food !

Sounds fine, but with the Thai Baht so strong it won't be cheap. I've always found Tesco Thailand to be excellent, superb fruit and vegetables, and very cheap. If you want a more international range go to Villa which has an excellent store in Udon and other places. Great take-away pasta dishes etc, and very good British sausages, marmite, beans etc etc. Tops is good for bread, but has the most overpriced fruit in Thailand, all sold in little fancy packets like it is a delicacy or something. Avoid this flagrant rip-off. Some Big C's which used to be Carrefours, still have a good range of fresh French style bread.

3 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

Sounds fine, but with the Thai Baht so strong it won't be cheap. I've always found Tesco Thailand to be excellent, superb fruit and vegetables, and very cheap. If you want a more international range go to Villa which has an excellent store in Udon and other places. Great take-away pasta dishes etc, and very good British sausages, marmite, beans etc etc. Tops is good for bread, but has the most overpriced fruit in Thailand, all sold in little fancy packets like it is a delicacy or something. Avoid this flagrant rip-off. Some Big C's which used to be Carrefours, still have a good range of fresh French style bread.

Shopping at Villa is *OK* but their bread is inedible ( in addition to being ludicrously expensive). The better breads are at Tops and Central Food Hall ( as well as the artisan places like Paul's in Embassy. )

It should be noted that some of the larger Tesco stores in the UK do have a Thai/Malay/Filipino section. Have tasted the Isaan sausage and it was decent. Less fat content, or so it tasted, than the ones bought in Thailand. 

Tops has by far the largest range of UK and European food in their supermarket in Buriram. It does have a linkup with Waitrose. As far as bread is concerned, making your own is the only way to go in Thailand. The Tesco bread is awful and why are the slices so small. Even my wife is disparaging of the Big C baguettes even if they are freshly baked in the instore bakery.

This thread is supposed to be about Thai products in the UK (Europe), not Brit products in Thailand.

I live in a small country town in the SW of France and Lidl regularly has Thai week.  If I wanted I could drink Tiger all year round.

1 hour ago, Gillyflower said:

This thread is supposed to be about Thai products in the UK (Europe), not Brit products in Thailand.

I live in a small country town in the SW of France and Lidl regularly has Thai week.  If I wanted I could drink Tiger all year round.

If I wanted I could drink Tiger all year round.

You could if you wanted to, but why would you when there are good local French beers . Tiger is a Singapore brand made under Heineken Asia Pacific. Not a bad drink IMHO..

3 hours ago, Prbkk said:

Can not you make your own?

Ingredients
For the spotted dick
300g/10oz plain flour
10g/2 tsp baking powder
150g/5oz shredded suet
75g/3oz caster sugar
110g/4oz currants
1 lemon, zest only
200ml/7fl oz milk
butter, for greasing
For the custard
200ml/7fl oz milk
200ml/7fl oz double cream
6 free-range egg yolks
75g/3oz caster sugar

The TGF when she was in UK last year couldn't get over the cost of green papayas in UK (which, from looking at the box they were in, had been shipped from Thailand a couple of weeks earlier). It would be good if Tesco started stocking more Thai produce as it would give my local Chinese supermarkets a run for their money as they charge extortionate amounts for Thai delicacies and alike e.g. green papaya £8 each (!). 

5 hours ago, the guest said:

Trouble is that there are not many British products left to sell, most have been bought up by foreigners, so Thailand I'm sure can offer Thai products, made in Thailand by Thai people, owned by Thais.

Wondering what's British these days ? Certainly not the food !

Marmite, Bovril, Gentlemen's Relish to name just 3.

Can not you make your own?

Ingredients
For the spotted dick
300g/10oz plain flour
10g/2 tsp baking powder
150g/5oz shredded suet
75g/3oz caster sugar
110g/4oz currants
1 lemon, zest only
200ml/7fl oz milk
butter, for greasing
For the custard
200ml/7fl oz milk
200ml/7fl oz double cream
6 free-range egg yolks
75g/3oz caster sugar

Struggled with getting it out of the wok.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app