Dental Council of Thailand denounces cosmetic retainers

webfact

Dental Council denounces cosmetic retainers

PNICT600427001000301_27042017_020652.jpg

BANGKOK 28 April 2017 (NNT) - The Dental Council of Thailand has warned the general public against wearing retainers for purely cosmetic purposes, and to consider the potential health problems that may follow. 

Dr. Sirichai Kiattavorncharoen of the Dental Council of Thailand addressed the case of folk singer Nongpanee Mahadthai, known by her stage name Jah Rsiam, posting a picture on Facebook of her wearing a cosmetic retainer as an endorsement of a dental lab. 

Dr. Sirichai said that while the retainer may have come from a dental lab that was licensed to produce dental equipment, it did not employ staff members with the necessary credentials. Therefore, the production of Nongpanee’s retainer constitutes a violation of the 1994 Practice of Dentistry Act. 

He also warned the public that retainers are intended for medical purposes and they should be prescribed after careful consideration of the health implications.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-04-28

obviously i am an old fart as i don't understand the wearing of braces or retainers for fashion, they look terrible. When i was a kid it was embarrassing to have braces, even though they were huge silver monsters and not the dainty colourful ones you can get today.

Edited by taichiplanet

1 hour ago, taichiplanet said:

obviously i am an old fart as i don't understand the wearing of braces or retainers for fashion, they look terrible. When i was a kid it was embarrassing to have braces, even though they were huge silver monsters and not the dainty colourful ones you can get today.

Yeah, i too just wanted to ask if i really read that right ...

Obviously some dumber people here than even i thought ... :cheesy: ... 

Getting a properly made dental appliance for dental purpose in a fashionable color is different than buying a dodgy one, wearing them for fashion alone. Kids wear grilles, grind teeth to make fangs, get colored contacts without prescriptions. All can be dangerous.

Somehow less bizarre to me than the number of young people one sees wearing eyeglasses without lenses.

images.jpeg

What is the purpose of the article unless you are going to explain what are the health rise and why?  There are so many things and I mean many that are made here by people that aren't license. It doesn't take a lot to make one once the impression has been made. 

Retainer, are usually worn after wearing braces for a number of years the end process is the retainer that is worn at night when you sleep. The longer the retainer is worn after braces the straighter your teeth will be as you age. 

I guess its all about face. You are showing you can afford cosmetic dental work. Also

youth as you are generally younger when you have this work done. Many things leave

me scratching my head. As already mentioned above. Fashion eye glasses and "grills"

make me shake my head. :crying:

Yet another Thai/Asian fashion trend that I fail to understand.  I have met a scant few Asian women who don't look absolutely frightening with colored contacts.  I don't get why 30 year old women decide to get braces (and usually pink so they're even more obvious).  Don't get why Asians want nose jobs considering they don't have enough cartilage to work with so they end up with a Michael Jackson nose.