Thai embassy, Vientiane. How busy these days?

A couple of weeks ago I went for a new visa (my 4th back-to-back from Vientiane with no warning stamp). I went in on Tuesday morning at 10.30 and was out in 10 minutes. The following day the pickup is based on the number you are given on submitting your application. As I handed in mine after most I had a high(ish) number and my passport was ready for collection at just after 14.45 Wednesday. The system is a lot more streamlined than a few years ago. You pay on collecting your passport. 

1 hour ago, gilo said:

A couple of weeks ago I went for a new visa (my 4th back-to-back from Vientiane with no warning stamp). I went in on Tuesday morning at 10.30 and was out in 10 minutes. The following day the pickup is based on the number you are given on submitting your application. As I handed in mine after most I had a high(ish) number and my passport was ready for collection at just after 14.45 Wednesday. The system is a lot more streamlined than a few years ago. You pay on collecting your passport. 

So last time was your 4th back to back TV from Vientiane?

Did you get the warning stamp this time?

Yes, correct last time was my fourth back-to-back. I had been expecting the warning but wasn't bothered if it was given as the duration of the visa would be sufficient to allow for a conversion to an extension of stay as will soon turn 50. However, to my (pleasant) surprise no warning stamp was given. Whether they saw that I was shortly due to reach 50 and if that had any bearing I really do not know. So getting a fourth is a possibility but no clarity on what criteria they are using, presumably purposefully?  I hold a UK passport. 

• Like 1

I got the stamp in Vientiene last week but I had 6 SETVs in my passport. I laughed it off since this was my last SETV as I turn 50 in 3 months and I need a new passport anyway with only 3 blank pages left.

If you want to take a few days on holiday in Laos, is it possible to hand in your application one day and arrange to pick it up a few days later, or does pick up have to be the following working day? What happens if you don't pick it up on the assigned day?