Tomatoe Plants

AlexLah

When did you plant them? Depending on the type of tomato you are growing, some are slower to produce than others. This is especially true if it is an heirloom variety. Are you getting blossoms? If you aren't, it might mean that your nutrients are lacking. Potassium is important for blossom and fruit production. You might want to check your soil chemistry. If you are getting blossoms but just no fruit setting then it could be the humidity. While pollinators will fertilize tomato blossoms, in general tomatoes are self pollinators. When it gets too humid, the pollen clumps up and doesn't move easily to the stigma.

I'm gettin' ready to plant toms in pots on my magnificent new terrace and was gonna sprout from seeds...anybody got any tips, recommendations? Just put the seeds in water in the sunlight and OK? Was gonna use them plastic trays that you buy meat in from tescos...

i've had good success growing my tomato seeds from those compressed peat discs that expand once in water. i've never seen them in thailand, but i've never looked for them as i always bring 2 or 3 hundred every time i come back from canada. if you don't waterlog the seeds, i get almost 100% germination. then you just put the whole thing into the soil, no need to uproot.

still haven't had success with the finished product, but i WILL keep trying until i get it right.

I like to soak my seeds over night. I place them between paper towel then lay in a cake pan and soak the paper towel. They go in to the refrigerator for the night. This cool period helps "wake" the seed up faster. I use a sponge like peat moss plug that sits in a styrofoam container. I bought the set up at parkseed.com. You just need to buy the plugs every year. The styrofoam goes in to a greenhouse type container. I keep the plugs at about 85F (29C) until the seedlings begin to emerge. I take the cover off and bring the seeds to ambient temp. They grow in these plugs until the first true leaves emerge and then they are transplanted in to larger pots until it's time to place them outdoors.

About 2 weeks before they are ready for planting, I begin setting them outdoors a few hours at a time and slowly get them used to the sunlight. The first few days it's filtered light etc. By the end of the two weeks they are in full sun and are outdoors 24 hours.

I take a juice carton (after the juice is gone) and cut off one of the sides, lay it on its side so the missing side is up, poke a few small holes in the bottom (small slits with a kniife), fill it with my best garden dirt or mix half and half good garden dirt with two year old compost or one year old cow manure, plant one or two rows of seeds about 1 cm between seeds and about 2 cm between rows and about the depth of 4 seed diameters, and water. With good garden soil and especially with the compost or manure added you don't have to worry too much about overwatering since the excess water will drain out freely throught the holes in the bottom. I keep these where they don't get full sun in the hottest part of the day since it might get too hot...small containers heat up and dry out rapidly. I probably water about every other day.

Another method is to just plant them in the garden (in some of your best dirt) in about 1 or 2 cm between seeds with the rows about 5 or 10 cm apart, keep them damp.

Both of these methods have worked well for me. A common problem for beginners is not knowing what good soil looks like. Good soil for starting seedlings will crumble easily (we say it is "friable") even when almost completely dry. To get soil like this you need to add lots of organic matter....that's where the two year old compost and the year old manure came into the discussion above. This friable soil allows water to reach the seed easily and for excess water to drain away easily. It also allows aeration of the soil to occur which helps to promote root growth and decrease the occurance of some root diseases.

Chownah

When did you plant them? Depending on the type of tomato you are growing, some are slower to produce than others. This is especially true if it is an heirloom variety. Are you getting blossoms? If you aren't, it might mean that your nutrients are lacking. Potassium is important for blossom and fruit production. You might want to check your soil chemistry. If you are getting blossoms but just no fruit setting then it could be the humidity. While pollinators will fertilize tomato blossoms, in general tomatoes are self pollinators. When it gets too humid, the pollen clumps up and doesn't move easily to the stigma.

I planted them about 3 months ago. The type of tommie I don't know as I threw away the small bag the seeds came in but from the picture on the bag I remember they looked like those toms that are used in som tam.

Yep not the nice full red colored European type. They do blossom but just one is showing toms while they were planted at the same time. For the soil I have asked the shop that sells ground and stuff what would be a good mixture and she gave me two different types of soil, one is very light potground (as we call it in Holland) and the other was a bit more dense (deep black). She advised to mix 50-50 and so I did. I also mixed in a litlle bit fertiliser. I water them about twice a day (morning and evening). They are on my balcony facing south west and have lot's of sunlight.

I did similair with capsicum and basilicum and with those I have succes.

My friend says I have to wait for a month or so as she told me it is most likely a bit slower growing variant.

Anyway I keep trying and will follow some of the helpfull hints and tips.

Thanks!

Edited by AlexLah

is 'potting soil' (as we know it in other parts of the planet) commercially available? I live inna shophouse an' ain't got no dirt of any kind available. The dirt that they use to mix concrete looks likely...'friable', so to speak...but no organic matter...I'm gettin' ready to set out about ten pots; toms, flowers, etc on my magnificent new terrace...(look out clownah, I can see you smirking over the internet...)

sbk...I'll get the nieces to tend to the watering...how much is too much?

merry Christmas and happy tomatoes...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I would go with potting soil and if you can add some organic matter that would be good, look for composted soil if possible.

Too much is if they start to rot :o

All kidding aside, when you are trying to germinate seeds don't have the pots sitting in water, the humidity here is high enough that you don't need to cover the seeds with any kind of plastic wrap (unless they require darkness to germinate that is).

Here is an extensive database for seed germinating techniques (for different plants) and here is a good website with tomato seed starting techniques. Again, with our high heat and humidity I wouldn't worry so much about putting them on the fridge to keep them warm :D

is 'potting soil' (as we know it in other parts of the planet) commercially available? I live inna shophouse an' ain't got no dirt of any kind available. The dirt that they use to mix concrete looks likely...'friable', so to speak...but no organic matter...I'm gettin' ready to set out about ten pots; toms, flowers, etc on my magnificent new terrace...(look out clownah, I can see you smirking over the internet...)

Hi Tutsi,

Potting ground you can buy at Tesco or Homepro.

I have just read a Dutch site on growing toms and there they say that the composition of the soil is important.

Adding Calcium and stuff like that should help a lot as the plants need lots of nutrition.

I went to the shop today and asked for some good compost and the lady gave me a bag of buffalo sh1t and told me it will do wonders so I gave a bit to three of my plants and will see how it works out.

Maybe I will replant them into less dense soil as I think the soil they are into know might not be the best.

Happy X-mass all!

Alex

I've grown tomatoes in California and northern Thailand. Sometimes you get high germination, sometimes near zero. You'll get better luck if your seed is dry when planted. To be on the safe side, plant many seeds.

I find cherry tomatoes prefereable for several reasons: much more flavor, and more likely to ripen. anything larger, often lacks flavor and takes too long to ripen fully - leaving it vulnerable to insects and such.

when you transplant from flat to soil, only need to leave the topmost bunch of leaves above the soil line. You don't need the rest of the plant straight down, it can go sideways, and inch below the soil. that way, every part of the stem will put out roots and you'll get a hardy plant.

To get seed, the best way is simply buy a bunch of cherry tomats at the market for 5 or 10 baht, take the seed and spread it on a paper plate until its dry enough to scrape 'em off with a knife (3 or 4 days). newspaper doesn't work because seeds stick too strongly to it.

Who, me smirk? hahahahha If you've got no dirt maybe you've got no sun light either!!! Fluorescent tubes are great for growing "tomaotes". hahahhaha

Chownah

Edited by chownah

clownah, as you very well know I have excellent eastern exposure on my magnificent new terrace that will give full sunlight until about 1400 hrs.

maybe if I transmorgrify I can incorporate some of yer bullshit into organic material for potting soil...come to Suphan and see for yerself, you'll be impressed...PM me anytime...

I've grown tomatoes in California and northern Thailand. Sometimes you get high germination, sometimes near zero. You'll get better luck if your seed is dry when planted. To be on the safe side, plant many seeds.

I find cherry tomatoes prefereable for several reasons: much more flavor, and more likely to ripen. anything larger, often lacks flavor and takes too long to ripen fully - leaving it vulnerable to insects and such.

when you transplant from flat to soil, only need to leave the topmost bunch of leaves above the soil line. You don't need the rest of the plant straight down, it can go sideways, and inch below the soil. that way, every part of the stem will put out roots and you'll get a hardy plant.

To get seed, the best way is simply buy a bunch of cherry tomats at the market for 5 or 10 baht, take the seed and spread it on a paper plate until its dry enough to scrape 'em off with a knife (3 or 4 days). newspaper doesn't work because seeds stick too strongly to it.

Sorry to ask but do you suggest cutting all leaves that do not show toms?

depending on the variety tomato plants can become very bushy...that being the case it may be adviseable to prune some of the lower leafy bits to get more nutrient flow to the fruit. This has been my experience in Northern California with 'golden wonder' toms...might not be the same case in Thailand...definitely keep the topmost leaves bushy and glorious...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

If you have the opportunity try this Sungold variety. It bears fruit quick enough and it is sweet like candy. Great flavor too.

sungoldselect3.jpg

Info:

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/product/840/1

Tomatoes do need calcium otherwise the bottom of the fruit turns brown as if it were sunburnt and rots.

Edited by aughie

Hi all,

Remember that I buy some buffalo sh1t and added it on three of my plants?

Well it works!!!!

So now I have 4 out of ten plants showing toms.

Tommorow I will repot the other plants as I have had some good advice from the shop and now have purchased 4 different types of soil which have to be mixed all together.

I will make some pictures of the diff soil and post here. I cannot read Thai so I have no idea what they gave me but I trust the as the previous advice seems to work.

Now I only worrie about the water I give (tapwater) as it is not so good quality. Maybe I will give good quality water from Nestle?

Hey all,

I am a bit worried now.

I see some of the plants leaves start to sort of shrink and curl up.

What does that mean?

To much fertilizer ore not enough water ore too much sun?

Suggestions please,

Kind regards,

Alex

Soil should be somewhat moist but not overly wet. You definitely don't want the roots suffocating in water. If you had these plants somewhat sheltered when you started them and you just put them outside, then it could be shock. Plants that are started indoors usually need to be set out for a few hours each day to get used to the sun and wind. Coddled plant leaves will curl up if they get sun burned or wind burned.

What kind of fertilizer are you using? From the looks of the pictures you loaded, you have manure in your soil mix. If these are very small plants, that alone might be too much. Tomato seedlings need very little fertilizer until they get going. If they are larger, the manure should be fine, as long as it is rotted, otherwise you might burn the plants from too much nitrogen.

Hi Jamie,

Yes I did add some manure about 10% to the mixture of soil.

The weird thing is that the smaller plants do not show curly leaves but only the bigger ones.

The plants have always been outside so I guess no problem there.

Mmmm... maybe I give too much water (2x a day).

Ok I will try to shelter them first, give less water and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice!

All I can say is good luck. I have been through many experiments, have received a lot of advice and all my tries turned out the same. I have used potting soil, regular garden soil, combinations and combinations with sand added. Even different fertilizers. I couldn't see any difference. The seeds germinate very well. The plants look great. They blossom very well. Tomatoes develop and then the plant just dies just before the tomatoes ripen. I tried seven different kinds, five that were developed for southern Florida. I have resigned myself to growing the rubber balls Thais call tomatoes. BUT, all is not lost. Cherry tomatoes do very well and taste great.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your post.

I have sheltered the plants with help of a towel and it seems they are recovering.

Toms are now about thumb size, leaves look OK.

So I still have hope.

Cucumbers growing really fast and Chilly is coming up, as well as a different type of tom that I planted.

Basil is doing great, grows with the speed of light.

Some Thai friends ask me why I am doing this as all the veggie is available at low price at local market.

Yes I know I answer.....