Dodgy Remote

evadgib

I had no idea where to post this so I guess here's as good as any...

A 'wobble board' (vibrating exercise plate) ordered online has arrived but it appears that the remote doesn't work. The battery is coin-type but there's no light or anything to indicated the remote is working, even when switched for a battery known to be ok. The appliance itself will start/stop at the touch of a manual button but none of the programmes work, rendering it useless other than at just the one speed.

It seems daft having to send the full monty (16kgs/BFO box!) back for such a small prob, assuming of course that it IS the remote (I'll try all local stores tomorrow). Can anyone please point me in the right direction as to what these particular remotes are called and what frequencies I need to look for in a replacement?

Thank you :)

Stock photo attached although mine is a little different from this one.

(and NO the answer isn't in the accompanying booklet!).

s-l1600.jpg

Let's try this in the electrical forum.

Moved.

You did the obvious and check the battery (dead?) and it is correctly inserted.

What coin type is it? CR2025, CR2032 or which?

Some are easy available and cheap.

Turn your phone camera on. Point the remote at the camera lens. Push any button and you should see it flash. The camera senses IR. Make sure the battery is in right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Can anyone please point me in the right direction as to what these particular remotes are called and what frequencies I need to look for in a replacement?

If this is an IR remote then its signalling patterns are bound to be proprietary or randomly selected by the manufacturer (so no easy 3rd-party replacement).

Same with most TVs and other IR-controlled electronic, manufacturers don't use the same IR code or signaling scheme/patterns as to cut down on accidental cross-unit interference. That's why you'll sometimes see 3rd-party remotes that you need to set to your specific manufacturer or model of TV, VCR, CD, DVD, Cable Box, Sat Box, A/V amp, etc, etc. that have been pre-programmed into the unit.  

Have you tried calling or emailing either the seller or manufacturer. Either might be willing to post you a replacement remote if it meant not returning the item.

27 minutes ago, RichCor said:

If this is an IR remote then its signalling patterns are bound to be proprietary or randomly selected by the manufacturer (so no easy 3rd-party replacement).

Same with most TVs and other IR-controlled electronic, manufacturers don't use the same IR code or signaling scheme/patterns as to cut down on accidental cross-unit interference. That's why you'll sometimes see 3rd-party remotes that you need to set to your specific manufacturer or model of TV, VCR, CD, DVD, Cable Box, Sat Box, A/V amp, etc, etc. that have been pre-programmed into the unit.  

Have you tried calling or emailing either the seller or manufacturer. Either might be willing to post you a replacement remote if it meant not returning the item.

Thanks but as you'll see from the update immediately above your post it looks like the remote is working and therefore the problem lies elsewhere.

All the transit covering has been removed inc a clear film over the receiving end of the appliance.

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far :smile:

Edited by evadgib

If you saw the flash in the camera then the remote is sending out an IR signal, there is a possibility that the IR sensor in the unit may be bad or blocked and your problem may not be the remote. I have found connectors going to the PCB where the IR sensor is soldered not seated correctly from the factory. It's electronics so it still could be the remote not coding correctly, a unit sensor error, or a bad control chip. I know this don't help you but I always used any IR remote to see the sensor output with my scope. If you do not have the same remote as mentioned by the other post, you can try to get a new remote but to simplify things, just get them to replace the whole system.

2 minutes ago, timkeen08 said:

I have found connectors going to the PCB where the IR sensor is soldered not seated correctly from the factory.

I've seen equipment where the IR module (looking like an LED light) was bent out of position (not properly viewing out through the red-tinted plastic window), and had to be bent back into position to make the remote usable.

@evadgib, if you hold the remote right next to the plastic window, does it work?

I've seen equipment where the IR module (looking like an LED light) was bent out of position (not properly viewing out through the red-tinted plastic window), and had to be bent back into position to make the remote usable.

[mention=25172]evadgib[/mention], if you hold the remote right next to the plastic window, does it work?

I have found the same but most of the newer IR sensors are epoxyed in a metal case and much smaller since most consumer electronics use SMD components on the PCB's. But, we are talking about things he probably has no idea how to troubleshoot. Get it replaced.

Do you need to pair the remote with the board at startup

Pairing is usually for wireless devices associated with your unit and for the more expensive RF remotes. On most systems, the power button should at least work. It's probably made in China anyway so it's anyones guess.